Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nmn

New Weapons Tutorial!

Hmm...suddenly that Warhammer 40k weapons mod I was thinking about seems a lot more plausable.

999cop said:

Incredible! Now I'm looking forward to texture-making tutorials

Good idea ;)

Dear god please-don't break ideas-so much-like this-it is annoying. Even format-wise -- there are less annoying ways to do it -- so please -- use this instead -- but not quite as much. Makes it easier to see if you use SPACE HYPHEN HYPHEN SPACE. Forum posts are not instant messages. Please treat them with a degree of formality and consideration for legibility. Doing-it-like-this makes it seem like you are using hyphenated words, when the combination makes no sense at all.

That was the only thing that made that weapon tutorial anything other than a pleasure to read.

Also, doing this in a page-by-page format might be better, if you're up to the revision. Write a purpose paragraph for each step, display graphics as you accomplish sub-steps, and then write a
1. step
2. by
3. step
4. summary
of the page. Makes it easier to keep track of what's going on. Studies have shown that people, when reading text in a web browser, are more likely scanning and skipping around than reading in a focussed way.

Not true-You can follow this using any Program that has Layers and a Line tool, plus some anit-aliasing tools (smudge? soften?) grid and guides and loading a pallette into an image.

And I personally prefer the term Image Manipulation Program, but that's not the point.

Wow that looks nice, what editor did you use to make that, because that certainly doens't look like photoshop...:/

Jasc's Paint Shop Pro
However:

I said:

You can follow this using any Program that has Layers and a Line tool, plus some anit-aliasing tools (smudge? soften?) grid and guides and loading a pallette into an image.

O_o'

It's so easyyy! Happy go-o-lucky! We are the worldooooo! We diiid it!
Who? Who? Who? Who?
Us! Us! Us! Us!

ellmo said:

O_o'

It's so easyyy! Happy go-o-lucky! We are the worldooooo! We diiid it!
Who? Who? Who? Who?
Us! Us! Us! Us!

Looks like somebody's been watching "Irrational Exuberance".

(And everybody happy-da!)

That weapon in the tutorial looks cartoonier than the originals, just to let you know. Heh, I guess Scuba Steve used too much of Tsugumo's Pixel tutorial or other pixel art techniques he used for both doom and other game sprites.

Hi there, new to the forum, but I thought I NEEDED to register so I could post a reply to this thread:

It's very nice to see someone taking the time and effort to writte a very useful and extensive step by step guide through concept art (desing and making). Believe me, it is hard as hell to find such generous effort around, most guys are too busy with their own stuff to even care if someone out there needs desperatly assistance just to be able to learn their way into something. You guys should be thankful there are still people like this in the Doom community - I know there aren't any in Hexen's (which is Doom's brother, but didn't get quite the same attention ;) ). Anyway, great work Nmn - it will be hard to implement any linear weapon on my project, but it's the intention that matters! ;)

"Korax' Heritage - cross-breeding a 3D shooter with a fantasy RPG in the world of Hexen."

Mago-cheers. I'm very content someone registered just to reply to this post :) So the tutorial was useful afterall. Getting help from artists around the Doom Community can be quite hard from what I know so I suggest those who are deeply interested in art to visit places like Concept Art.org forums.

Linguica said:

Wrong wrong wrong, how do you think 320x200 is displayed? A computer screen is 4:3 so the picture is stretched vertically to fill it.

I must be the only one here using a widescreen then. Mine is like 3:2, or something like that.

Nmn, how do you think Kronos made his DooM 3 weapons? I know they are not just clean screenshots, what do you think he did to them?
I need to know because I have (sorta) taken over his project (i think) and want to continue by creating the rest of the DooM 3 weapons.

Dartmer - I believe he either redrawed them from screenshots, or just cleaned them up making them look more like sprites rather than rips. Both of these methods seem a bit unknown for me so my bet would be that he had made those weapons himself from scratch.

Thanks alot Nmn, only problem is that I have so little talent at creating weapon graphics it's not funny.

And because he created them it would be near impossible for someone else to do the remainer and have them fit it with the rest.. hmm.

Dartmer- I encourage You to at least try learning. Talent is not the thing that determines an artist-no, it's the abilities You learned (actually, the sole laymen's believe of such a thing as talent is rather untrue). Plain and simple-You can learn to draw good as well You can learn Math, Spanish, Playing Basketball; it's no harder than anything else.
Ofcourse that is hard work, but take my word You will be amazed by Your own results withing a month.

Yeah, I have been trying to learn, but with the mapping and the coding and that other thing called life i often forget about, there isnt much time to really get into it :( every spare minute i have is spent mapping at the moment :(

Andy Tran said:

That weapon in the tutorial looks cartoonier than the originals, just to let you know. Heh, I guess Scuba Steve used too much of Tsugumo's Pixel tutorial or other pixel art techniques he used for both doom and other game sprites.

Your comment cought my attention. In comparsion to original weapons-it does, because originals were photo-digitalised. More, the things that make my a bit cartoonish are possibly the rather lightly contrasted metal and too much khaki color, but this could be fixed by messing with contrast. It was done for purposes of the tutorial and I don't think I'll be fixing those flaws.

However, in relation to Your comment to Tsugumo's tutorial there are 2 things I'd like to ask. One: You mention pixel art-are You related to it? We always welcome warmly new artists to the community, especially when it comes to pixel-art. I have several questions concernig it, maybe I could drop You a PM, cuz I have a couple questions. I'm seeking tutorials on this subject to enhance my abilities, any links are very much appreciated. Right now I know: Pixel-Zone, Tsugumo's, Derek's, Mark's, and the ones on Sprite-Domain. I yet need to study them toroughly. How good are You in pixel-art?

Second-is it bad that Scuba used pixel-art techniques? The sprites are quite small and IMO it's the only sure way to make them come out detailed and pretty, d-efinately better than 3d-captured sprites, which, shrunk to Doom's sprites' size came out quite bad.

EDIT: Just another tought. I'm also seeking techniques on making good doom weaponry. Pixel art seems probably the most flexible and only one (excluding 3d rendered weapons, which, opposite to sprites, do come out decent). What is Your technique or suggestion on making Doom-styled weapons?

Cheers and awaiting reply.

My method of drawing them dot by dot is probably the stupidest and most time consuming method of them all. What I should be doing is drawing them with regular tools and then touching them up on a pixel by pixel basis.

Scuba-slowest method, yes. Drawing stuff with regular tools and touching up is d-efinately faster-but better? That is a matter of opinion really.