Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deathmatcher

Stuck in Alien Vendetta Map07

Me and my brother were playing AV and we came to map07.
After having killed most of the monsters, we came upon the supposed exit area, but a pit barred our way (in which you die).

We finally found some more Arachnotrons and killed them. I thought, that now the pit may have risen and we could escape.

Now, the pit did rise, but it rose so high in the air that it now acts like a wall and blocks our way again!

Is this a bug? We tried to push/shoot all the walls in the vicinity of the exit area - to no avail.

I know, that in Doom2 there was once a bug, that let the Arachnotron-triggered sector rise too high - but I thought, this bug was fixed in ZDoom, wasn't it?

If I'm not mistaken ZDoom's bugfix is exactly what ruins its capability to play the map like Doom2 does (effectively.)

Yeah, if you want to play this map in Zdoom, then you need to avoid killing all the arachnotrons, and use strafe-50 to jump across the gap to the exit.

Or in coop, you could have your partner rocket boost you across the gap, etc. Or get across the gap, and have your partner kill the last monsters before you exit, etc.

Had this problem too. once you kill all the monsters, just consider youself as having completed that level and idclip through the platform. I hated doing that, but it seemed the only way when i got stuck there. Does AV have this problem in prboom? And if not, what compatibility mode do you play in?

No problem in Prboom -complevel 0, -complevel 1 or -complevel 3. This problem does occur if you use full Boom compatibility (-complevel 5) though. The compatibility option that triggers the problem is turning off "use exactly Doom's linedef trigger model".

I recall ages ago playing around with the compatibility options in Zdoom, but found that there was no way round this problem. One of the settings I tried ("find shortest textures like Doom") looked promising, but then the step didn't rise at all. Curiously, with this option chosen, Doom2 map07 stopped working.

Edit: Heh, I could have saved myself some time by just searching for this thread.