Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lutrov71

1024 project - Mappers wanted

We are no longer looking for mappers. If you would like to playtest though, notify me here.
CURRENT PROGRESS:
Map01 - Completed
Map02 - Completed
Map03 - Completed
Map04 - Completed
Map05 - Completed
Map06 - Completed
Map07 - Completed
Map08 - Completed
Map09 - Completed
Map10 - Completed
Map11 - Completed
Map12 - Completed
Map13 - Completed
Map14 - Completed
Map15 - Completed
Map16 - Completed
Map17 - Completed
Map18 - Completed
Map19 - Completed
Map20 - Completed
Map21 - Completed
Map22 - Completed
Map23 - Completed
Map24 - Completed
Map25 - Completed
Map26 - Completed
Map27 - Completed
Map28 - Completed
Map29 - Completed
Map30 - Under Construction -EVERYBODY!!
Map31 - 99% done - Russel_P
Map32 - Completed

does 1024x1024 include dummy sectors the player will never see/be in or is it the exact amount of space you can use?

Lutrov71 said:

The whole idea for the project is to make maps that are no larger than 1024x1024 units large....... You will be given other information and will be sent the wad containing the finished maps and the textures and flats for you to use as resources.

Two questions.

One, is the 1024 size limitation just the playing area? Are mappers allowed to have 'monster holding' sectors (for teleporting in later) outside of this main 1024 area, or does EVERYTHING have to be within this size limit?

Two, are mappers allowed to add their own flats and textures or are they strictly limited to the resources you supply?

Edit: q1 is the same as cyb's question. I should have refreshed the page before replying!

1024x1024 is really tiny. Are you sure those maps are vanilla Doom compatible? They look like they'll cause VPO.

boris said:

1024x1024 is really tiny. Are you sure those maps are vanilla Doom compatible? They look like they'll cause VPO.

Who would be able to use the doom2.exe nowadays? So many people use 2000/xp on there machines that sourceports are there only option.

I can use doom2.exe without sound.

Anyways, I'd be interested in mapping this, but the problem is that I'm fairly unexperianced. I would be willing to try, though.

Russell_P said:

Two questions.

One, is the 1024 size limitation just the playing area? Are mappers allowed to have 'monster holding' sectors (for teleporting in later) outside of this main 1024 area, or does EVERYTHING have to be within this size limit?

Two, are mappers allowed to add their own flats and textures or are they strictly limited to the resources you supply?

Edit: q1 is the same as cyb's question. I should have refreshed the page before replying!

1. The 1024x1024 is the playing area. You can have ares outside that if you can't get to them. So you can have decorations outside the maps and you can have teleporting monster holding sectors. Sorry, I should have mentioned that in the beginning post.

2. Yes, you can add your own textures and flats.

boris said:

I'm pretty sure they are vanilla compatible. I'll check that up on them now.

Linguica said:

Reminds me of excorpse. Was the limit 1024 on a side there too?

Yes, but in this case the whole map has to be 1024x1024.

We can add our own textures and flats :) cool

I like the sound of this idea, it should be fairly challenging/interesting to map for. I'll have a play around with some sectors when I have a spare moment, if I think I can come up with something interesting then i'll contact you about doing a map. If you need examples of my previous work you can check out my designs at http://www.duellist.net

It's now for a limit removing port. Don't know why I put down vanilla down, played the maps in Doom95, never have I seen such VPO's. :D
Great, Russell_P might be onboard. It shouldn't be too hard to make a map for this.

Lutrov71 said:

It shouldn't be too hard to make a map for this.

It'll be extremely easy to make a map for this. But it's more a case of whether an interesting map, with good gameplay, can be made for this.

Yeah, you're right about that. The map doesn't even have to be that interesting though, it's just the gameplay and the way the map looks that really matters.

Linguica said:

Reminds me of excorpse. Was the limit 1024 on a side there too?

Thats exactly where I got the idea from. Credit will be given to that WAD in the TXT.

hmm.. so no 3d floors then..
what is the deadline for this? because I am interested, but have other projects that will get most of my time.

You've piqued my interest. I'll help. I'll try to get in touch later. Tiny-ass map.... hmm! sounds cool, actually.
Maybe I can make something worthwhile.

But the detail thing... THAT will take some time, I'm not big on overwhelming detail in maps. So we'll see.

The only ones I've released where the E1M1 Remake from a while back and most of XDoom (exceptions being E2M4 and M5, cred to stoned and DarkJedi there), but if you want I can probably make some "showoff" shots for you.

I'm mapping for Doom 2.5 (or doom 3 in doom 2). I can make things more detailed then that is. Off topic a little.. if anyone wants to map for DooM 2.5, drop me a pm or leave a post in the thread.