Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lutrov71

1024 project - Mappers wanted

are we mapping for a specific slot or hardness... are all the maps meant to be played from scratch or what? I finished the layout and most of the detailing but there aren't any items in mine yet and I dunno how hard/easy to make it :P

edit for screenshotty:

Cyb said:

are we mapping for a specific slot or hardness... are all the maps meant to be played from scratch or what?

I wasn't too sure about that either, so I set the level of hardness such that I could barely completely my own levels from scratch on UV (with the use of secrets, if implemented)

Lutrov71 said:

This project is going to finished and will ROCK! Look at the list of mappers we have man.

Yeah, thats cool, lets hope something good come out of this! My map is about 35% complete, I will have some screen shots soon(I just keep changing things as I get ideas). I was wondering what the other mappers have done so far? Maybe you can show some of your progress on your maps?

Cyb said:

are we mapping for a specific slot or hardness... are all the maps meant to be played from scratch or what?

Probably best to be completable from scratch, makes demos a possibility and who knows what weapons are used in previous maps. My maps a piece of piss if you start with the BFG :(

Nice screenshot BTW

Oh and Lutrov asked me to do Map07, so unless you've already done it don't bother :)

Cyb said:

I dunno how hard/easy to make it :P

Since these maps are going to be fairly tiny in terms of restricted playing space, they might as well be challenging. Just make it difficult for UV and then make it sane for HMP.

I've already got the general layout of my level in mind since it's about 30% done, but maybe those who've finished already (or just anyone with ideas) could post some ideas for effective map plans that'll effectively utilize space.

Job said:

I've already got the general layout of my level in mind since it's about 30% done, but maybe those who've finished already (or just anyone with ideas) could post some ideas for effective map plans that'll effectively utilize space.

Thin walls. Teleporting monsters.

Self-building spiral staircase with a large number of tiny steps that takes a long time to build, while monsters teleport in in droves. The exit is at the top of the staircase. As the staircase builds, it gives you access to more and more platforms with goodies on them. And maybe also access to switches that activate crushers in some of the monster reservoirs.

Grazza said:

Self-building spiral staircase with a large number of tiny steps that takes a long time to build, while monsters teleport in in droves. The exit is at the top of the staircase. As the staircase builds, it gives you access to more and more platforms with goodies on them. And maybe also access to switches that activate crushers in some of the monster reservoirs.

I'd would of never thought of that.

A base surronded by a large sea/desert/void/terrain/whatever, then a Cacodemon ivasion begin, you must survive until a crusher kills a Romero's head in a dummy sector.

Personaly I think that 32 maps it's too much for something like this, you have the danger to make something like Cyberdreams, fun at the start, but boring at the medium/end

Vegeta said:

Personaly I think that 32 maps it's too much for something like this, you have the danger to make something like Cyberdreams, fun at the start, but boring at the medium/end

Unlike Cyberdreams, however, the 1024 limitation doesn't limit gameplay. Also, these maps will be better detailed, something that Cyberdreams could haver done better, not to mention it gets old fighting nothing but Cyberdemons. It would have been nice to break up the action with more traditional gameplay every now and again.

Oh, and I'm really looking forward to this. :)

Vegeta said:

Personaly I think that 32 maps it's too much for something like this......fun at the start, but boring at the medium/end

There's atleast 14 mappers with differing styles so there's a good chance it won't get boring.

Things are going pretty smoothly with the map, so I'll be posting screenshots soon.

right i have my idea and design firmly planted in my head should have it going over the weekend and hopefully screenshottage for ya!

Here's a couple of questions I don't think have been covered yet;

sorry, I'm not up to date on all port limitations...

1- Jumping. Can we build maps where jumping is required? I don't know if all ports support jumping, so this could be a problem. On the other side of things, if our maps have to be playable by people using non-jumping ports (if such a thing exists), should we make our maps 'jump-proof' so thay can't be 'broken' by jumping.

2- Mouse look. doom2.exe doesn't have this (obviously). Can we assume all players will use mouse look? This will impact greatly on some designs (ie a shootable switch recessed high up in a wall will probably not be able to be activated if the player is not using mouse look).

Dunno if this was covered...but even though this is meant to have D2.exe linedefs, etc, we'd still be building this in a ZDoom/limit removing port. So should we or should we not use any stealth monsters?

How many ports support stealth monsters? one?

*EDIT* If anyone knows of a fix for map07's raising floor in zdoom let me know. It works fine (raises 16 units as per the step texture) nine times out of ten. The other times it raises 32 units :(

I've made my map too difficult for everyone who will play it but myself... time to do some tweaking.

Oh yeah...I forgot to ask which slot to take...but I put mine into 05. I can change it if that's a big problem.

Szymanski said:

*EDIT* If anyone knows of a fix for map07's raising floor in zdoom let me know. It works fine (raises 16 units as per the step texture) nine times out of ten. The other times it raises 32 units :(

Are you using the latest version? IIRC there was a bug that produced the problem you described when multiple arachnotrons were killed at the same time or something. But that's fixed, AFAIK.

Here's the pics I promised. I'm just getting the basic architecture done and will do more detailing later. It was really tough to find any decent spots to snag a picture of because the level is so cramped...the actual player will find the level more pleasing to the eye than these screens promise.

A look into the apartments across the base area fence...not sure if I'll keep that tacky eye picture or not...

The base containment area interior.

Yet another look into someone else's apartment outside the base area fence.

Szymanski said:

If anyone knows of a fix for map07's raising floor in zdoom let me know. It works fine (raises 16 units as per the step texture) nine times out of ten. The other times it raises 32 units :(

Zdoom does have (has had?) some map07 issues (e.g. with Alien Vendetta), but what you're describing sounds very much like something that exists in the original game. See my post here. If your map is rendered unplayable by this happening, then it would make sense to amend it somehow. Note that the original map07 can still be completed if the platfrom does raise twice, since you can strafe-run to the exit from one of the lowered manc platforms.

I've been using 2.0.63, i'll give the latest version a try later. With a small map it's pretty easy to kill them at or near the same time.

*EDIT*

Ok i'll just add in an extra exit you can reach if the map screws up.