Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

I was bored so I made a gravity gun in zdoom

This could be used for a shield. Hope that someone use it in a map.

Vegeta said:

This could be used for a shield. Hope that someone use it in a map.

Haha, good luck using an explosive barrel as a shield.

Oh yeah, while I am at it, I am entertaining suggestions for what to do with the gravity gun in order to "finish" it.

For instance, some people (Cyb, arioch) say that explosive barrels should blow up when you throw them, and I should use flaming barrels as a non-volatile throwing thingy.

Or, like I said earlier, I was thinking of having the grav gun be able to grab lost souls which you could then fire like a projectile at whatever.

Or, I thought it would be cool if you could pick up individual rockets with the grav gun and fire them as a regular rocket, or maybe pick up rocket boxes and when you fired it like five rockets would shoot out.

Any other ideas for what I should put in before I release the code for it as more or less "final"?

Linguica said:

Any other ideas for what I should put in before I release the code for it as more or less "final"?

Being able to stack objects like barrels, dead bodies, light sources, and trees.
Being able to pick up the chainsaw and throw it as a projecticle weapon would be cool, that rocket thing sounds cool. Picking up plasma cells and throwing them makes a plasma grenade or something, plasma packs makes a long range grenade shot or something like that. Picking up health and armor objects adds to your health and armor automatically, picking up fire lights and throwing them makes a explosion at walls/enemies/players, picking up low level monsters(humans, imps) as sheilds including pillars, use hanging victims as weapons. That's all I can think of right now.

The only thing I can suggest is make it a seperate weapon, like a fist or chainsaw replacement. The graphics don't have to be good, it's just weird picking things up as is because it's like shooting gravity beams out of your eyes. However, if it's impossible to make it a new weapon, no worries.

The sprites of the power loader from Aliens-Tc may work, ok it shouldn't be a gravity gun, but you get the idea.

And about the shield, in Zdoom (with shotable but not capable of being destroyed decorations, like trees) a shield is very doable with your work.

And if you (more likely) prefer to make it an offensive artifact, probably it would be good if when you fire the barrel, it gets damaged a bit (not as much as the enemy), so after a few hurls, the barrel explodes when hits the target. Still I think that it's good as it is.

For co-op, may be you could pick up players and let them jump certain obstacles. This would also work for CTF. The problem is that this kind of fun (wich I doubt is posible) would be enjoyed only by these who can play DOOM online.

And for Deathmatch may be you could pick up players and instant kill them when they are fired. To be usable this may require to expand the radious of the pick up effect.

It definitely needs more range. And picking up rocket packs doesn't make much sense, you might as well use your rocket launcher. And also if you could make a level with the grav gun with a lava pit or acid pit that kills monsters when they are flung into it that would fucking rock.

Vegeta said:

And about the shield, in Zdoom (with shotable but not capable of being destroyed decorations, like trees) a shield is very doable with your work.

I was thinking that the sheild would be breakable so it would wear down and break but unlike the barrel it wouldn't blow you to shits as it breaks.

Erm, how about a grapple beam? like grapple on to dead hanging bodys and swing to some where.....

but anyways, you could use this to make more interesting puzzles, like putting obbjects in a sector to activate something (sorta like a pressure plate)

Or maby throw somthing through a hoop for some sort of new mini game?(Air hockey?!)

How about using the grav gun to work with fluids? Like, creating a pillar of nukage and flinging it at someone? Might be interesting....or perhaps with the aforementioned "hanging bodies" idea, pick up Cmdr Keen and launch him at a Cyberdemon.....possibilities, possibilities.

Judge_Dredd said:

How about using the grav gun to work with fluids? Like, creating a pillar of nukage and flinging it at someone?

what in gods name

Judge_Dredd said:

How about using the grav gun to work with fluids?

ZDooM has lots of nifty features. Source-style physics (including liquid manipulation) are not among them.

Judge_Dredd said:

How about using the grav gun to work with fluids? Like, creating a pillar of nukage and flinging it at someone?

rofl, what version of doom have you been playing

Judge_Dredd said:

get of your drugs

I don't see what the point of flinging nukage would be, although you could do it if you had nukage on the wall, and an infinite amount of nukage glob sprites behind it.

The only use for flinging nukage would be in DM...it'd otherwise be useless in SP since the monsters are immune to it.

fraggle said:

You should add a paint can sprite which recolours enemies white when you hit them with it.

I already thought of that so when you fire one at a wall there's a big splat decal. Not like I will ever bother though.

Linguica said:

I already thought of that so when you fire one at a wall there's a big splat decal. Not like I will ever bother though.

I told you I would draw all the necessary work to add paint cans.