Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MikeyScoots

Lava Arena 4: Because Sequels Make So Much More Money

Seems I've pulled a FBASE direction here, as my infamous Lava Arena series consisting of "Lava Arena" Lava Arena "Remix" and "Lava Arena 3" have all been deathmatch. Well I decided to bring back the series, but this time to appeal to a new crowd. Lava Arena has gone Single Player. With that said I'm offically stating that Lava Arena 4 is in progress, and lets just say this will pay my depths to those who I owe. Of course I always post a screenie or two so here ya go.

Wow this looks very nice, nicely detailed and a cool looking sky too.
I can't wait to play this one, keep up the good work bloodskull :)

Wow, you've been mapping for how long and you STILL don't know how to properly detail an area?

Vile1011 said:

Wow, you've been mapping for how long and you STILL don't know how to properly detail an area?

o.0 discuss please.

Please also remember sequels many a time, suck: Tomb Raider 2, System Shock 2, Doom2 (duh)

I like what I see. Interesting.
Try to avoid repetivness IMO. It's good if You're using a detail that is good in a group like small lights or some lamps, or maybe boxes, but seing 2 exact complexed mechines makes me think-what the?

Also, try not to overuse some textures like crates or lights. I believe thinking in purposeful terms (like a crane is purposeful in a storage room, not in a computer room..) might help, even if You're not aiming for realistic looks.

Nmn said:

Please also remember sequels many a time, suck: Tomb Raider 2, System Shock 2, Doom2 (duh)

I like what I see. Interesting.
Try to avoid repetivness IMO. It's good if You're using a detail that is good in a group like small lights or some lamps, or maybe boxes, but seing 2 exact complexed mechines makes me think-what the?

Also, try not to overuse some textures like crates or lights. I believe thinking in purposeful terms (like a crane is purposeful in a storage room, not in a computer room..) might help, even if You're not aiming for realistic looks.

Most people think system shock 2 is one of the best games ever created (especially to game developers)...wat are you talking about.

Back on topic, the map looks great. Too bad I don't play multiplayer doom.

Nmn said:

System Shock 2

Don't you dare to trample on the mastery work of Irrational done on the game System Shock 2. System Shock 2 was and is one of the very best games ever consieved.

Not to mention DOOM II is great fun...

Not sure what Vile1011 is on about myself; as if there were 10 commandments on how to "detail" a map, which in itself is not the most important aspect of a map.

The map seems okay; the real test comes putting it on a server (or LAN environment) and playing, of course.

kristus and Scopeless said:

System Shock 2

First of all I never denied it's one of the best games ever. It is.

Second of all You probably haven't heard of personal opinions. Mine is-System Shock 1 was much better.

EDIT: Apologizes Bloodskull for derailing thread.

The prequel being better doesn't make the sequel "suck". But I dunno, after all it's your personal opinion. For all I know, in your opinion it would have been better if they never made SS2, since it didn't best SS1.

Nmn said:

EDIT: Apologizes Bloodskull for derailing thread.

No way, you did him a favor. I only played the middle lava arena, they all looked and played the same so not sure which one.

Vile1011 said:

If he's smart (and I know that's false but for the sake of argument) he's doing the layout and progression first and detail later.

Use3D said:

If he's smart

Haha, everyone knows I'm a dumbass/retard. But yeah you're somewhat right, I usually do layout and small increment details, then I do some final touches to give the area the right feeling, however I dont think I've ever given any areas in my maps a right feeling till now.

These screens aren't bad at all bloodskull, but why not just come up with a completley different name? IMO, you should keep the series consisting of deathmatch levels, while this one should be a stand alone.

Use3D said:

If he's smart (and I know that's false but for the sake of argument) he's doing the layout and progression first and detail later.

First point aside, the map already has TONS of detail, except it's haphazardly placed. It just seems like it's detail for the sake of detail.

An Imp may have spilled a large bowl of creme caramel there.

Bloodskull said:

Crates can be made out of cardboard.

Those are called "boxes". Can you say "boxes"?

Crates don't rip, but they DO break and shatter, seeing as how they're usual made of WOOD, but they certainly don't rip.

DOOM crates are probably metal, or some resistant synthetic material (if not a combination.)

Yeah, I mean why would you go into space with a bunch of WOOD or CARDBOARD crates in your ship?

zarkyb said:

Yeah, I mean why would you go into space with a bunch of WOOD or CARDBOARD crates in your ship?

It's economical. You know those wooden space station doors the doomguy ruined in the comic have got to be replaced eventually.

All I know is, this wad won't be worth playing unless it has scrolling computer textures, entire hallways of 0 to 255 strobing lights, and walls covered entirely with the LITE3 texture. Oh, and a stack of CRATINY crates that's over 1000 units high.

Vile1011 said:

All I know is, this wad won't be worth playing unless it has scrolling computer textures, entire hallways of 0 to 255 strobing lights, and walls covered entirely with the LITE3 texture. Oh, and a stack of CRATINY crates that's over 1000 units high.

I do hope your joking.