Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Paragon

TC = Totally Confused

Please excuse the "n00b-ish" qualities. It's my first post here.

I'm a long time Doom player but I've never tried editing. I've got a great idea for a Total Conversion but I have no idea which programs to use (source port, graphic utilities, level builders).

My question is simple... "What programs and/or information do I need to start on a TC for Doom?"

Simple questions do not always have simple answers.

You should play wads made for the different engines. They'll give you more veritable advice than our explanations or suggestions. You have to have an idea of what you aim to make to know what to use, unless you simply want to make your way as you go. Either way, checking different wads and TCs will give you a good picture of what can be done with what.

Nonetheless, for TCs most people use either JDoom/Risen3D (modern lighting, models), ZDoom (editing features, huge maps), Doom Legacy (a little bit of everything), EDGE (very customizable) or Eternity (editing features.)

1. If you want something that gives you a lot of editing freedom, to design all sorts of scenarios and things, use ZDoom.

2. If you want to use detailed textures and modern lighting effects with models instead of sprites use JDoom.

3. If you want to create many different weapons and monsters, use EDGE.

4. If you want something like ZDoom but more purist in relation to how Doom originally worked, use Eternity.

5. If you want something almost as graphic intensive as JDoom but with more traditional editing freedom, use Risen3D.

6. If you want something more or less in between all these, use Doom Legacy.

7. If you want something more traditional than all the above, use Boom/PrBoom.

Otherwise there's standard Doom, but nowadays it's kind of pointless for TCs unless you purposely wish to test your design skills against something more limited.

And finally there's another engine called Vavoom that's probably pretty cusomizable, but somewhat obscure to work with.

As for tools, you'll need at least a map making utility (aka editor; probably Doom Builder) and a resource managing application (i.e., a wad tool; like WinTex or XWE.) And naturally, any tools you might need to create or modify resources (sounds, graphics, music, etc.) directly.

Check the links on the front page for levels, source ports and utilities.

Ofcourse.
Get the unoficial beta (register at zdoom forums, we'll help You there more directly potinting You to it :) As well as some help on coding them weapons).

It's only my opinion, but if You want a lot of new features, choose Zdoom.

If you're happy to replace the standard weapons with different or modified ones, then you can use dehacked. This works with most ports (and the original exes).

This has the advantage that the user is not restricted to one particular port (giving your work a wider audience), but the disadvantage that you're replacing weapons, rather than adding new ones in addition to them.

Grazza said:

If you're happy to replace the standard weapons with different or modified ones, then you can use dehacked. This works with most ports (and the original exes).

This has the advantage that the user is not restricted to one particular port (giving your work a wider audience), but the disadvantage that you're replacing weapons, rather than adding new ones in addition to them.

It also has the disadvantage of being more difficult than all the others, particularly if you want to do something significantly more advanced than changing the firing rate of the chaingun.