Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guardian

Alien Vendetta Doesn't Like my DOOM95?

I know, I know, old, old, OLD. I've been on this nostalgic trend for months now. Just bear with me, and go ahead and laugh at whatever absurdity you may find; I'm sure there's something stupid in this post.

Anyway, I downloaded and unzipped Alien Vendetta and all that good stuff, but when I try running it with DOOM95 via DOOM II it runs extremely slow. Doom Underground, where I downloaded the .zip, says it's DOOM compatible, so I have no idea if I'm doing something wrong or what.

Any help would be appreciated.

Alien Vendetta uses midi files instead of the usual MUS files, and Doom95 does not like midis inside of wads.

Ah-hah-hah, thank you for explaining. So, then, is there any way to disable the music function for Alien Vendetta, or am I just kindah screwed?

Guardian said:
So, then, is there any way to disable the music function for Alien Vendetta, or am I just kindah screwed?

Not from the launcher. Create a shortcut to Doom95, add the parameter that disables the music to the target or command line entry in the shortcut properties:

doom95 -basewad doom2.wad -nodm -nomusic -file av.wad

The nodm parameter is requred to skip the launcher, basewad is the equivalent of iwad used for most released source based engines (although the IWAD must be in Doom95's directory), and the rest are standard parameters.

Still, it'd probably be better to use one of the released source based engines, since with them you could get the music and the internal level names like in Doom2 (or AV.EXE.) PrBoom even has a way to ensure that it'll work like the standard engine by using complevel 0 in the command line. There's also a way to set the (default) compatibility level through the CFG file.

Just to clarify a possible point of confusion: Alien Vendetta was designed to be compatible with the original DOS exe (yes, which has sound issues with Windows XP). The DOS exe (i.e. doom2.exe as opposed to doom95.exe) is quite happy with music in MIDI format, but some ports are not.

If you desperately wanted to run it with Doom95, then you could extract the music entries, convert them to MUS and put them back in the wad. But playing it with a port is a lot simpler of course, and most will work OK with Alien Vendetta as it stands.

Okay, I guess you've all convinced me. Of the two, which port would be better? PRBoom or Eternity? I'm not looking for all the extra bells and whistles (ie mouselook and jumping), but I suppose if they come standard that's nothing to complain about.

Now, I've visited the Team TNT Home Page a few times, and it would appear that it's responsible both for PRBoom and Eternity. Is this correct? And where might I find these two ports?

'Ppreciate all your help, thank you.

TeamTNT made the original Boom. PrBoom and Eternity are both descendants from Boom (via other ports descended from Boom), but are not TeamTNT projects.

I gave some links here (at the bottom of the post).

Really, for general-purpose playing most ports will be suitable - choose the one that appeals most to you. Using one that maintains behavioural compatibility is really only important if your needs are very specific.

I just played AV and it rocks! I prefer the style to HR, and I want to make levels more like this. However I like HR using ROTT music for many of their levels, it's jazzy.