Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jetflock

The Ultimate DooM ForeveR released

The Ultimate DooM ForeveR is available at:
http://www.geocities.com/rasputin1980/ultforever.zip
or
http://www.bigupload.com/d=581

the homepage has also been updated with a link to some screenshots.
http://www.geocities.com/rasputin1980/doomforever.html
i am not uploading this to the archives yet incase someone spots anything i may find annoying in the map.
read the text file, and have fun.

Geoshities didn't work for me, fortunately bigupload did.

Comments later.

Edit: Wow. Doom Legacy... So that's how a Legacy wad looks like.

Bleh. Keeps crashing on the first lost soul in map01. I'm done here.

hmm, it shouldn't. you need to run this in legacy OPENGL only. you should also use the command ine -mb 128 , or maybe even a higher number than that. did you read the text??? hasn't given anyone problems yet.
(map 6 especially without the -mb command)
EDIT: don't be running this on an ancient computer...though older rigs should do the job.

Heh. I'm not blind you know. Ok comp, read the text. map01 lost soul area or the corridor before that - segment violation.

Nuxius said:

GZDoom ftw. :p

This did reveal a bug I need to report to Graf though...

Hmm, I think I have to release a new version right now. ;)

BTW, the WAD is extremely dark because it has been adjusted for Legacy's GL lighting so if you use it with GZDoom make sure you set 'Sector lighting mode' to 'bright' to make it look better.

TheDarkArchon said:

MAP06, I think. The textures at the start go haywire (Side note at Jetflock: What the Hell did you do in MAP06 to cause slowdown like that?!).

Too much visible geometry. You can see almost the entire level from everywhere and that costs a lot of time.

Graf Zahl said:

BTW, the WAD is extremely dark because it has been adjusted for Legacy's GL lighting so if you use it with GZDoom make sure you set 'Sector lighting mode' to 'bright' to make it look better.

Actually, since Legacy's 3d lighting doesn't actually do any lighting. (not really anyway) Just apply different shades of a color to the geometry. It's not the reason why it's so dark. It's because Legacy's OpenGL mode in itself is a bit brighter than regular Software Doom.

Sharks as monsters? Nothx. Big water monsters are one of my biggest phobias. I can't even face the giant eel in Super Mario 64. :(

Hmm, a thread relating to a Legacy wad. Time to get out my check list:

People complaining about how legacy sucks... CHECK.
People/Graf-Zahl pimping GZDoom... CHECK.

Mivalekan said:

Sharks as monsters? Nothx. Big water monsters are one of my biggest phobias. I can't even face the giant eel in Super Mario 64. :(

that is a diff mod, and you are remarking about something you can only view out of context anyways, and not to be released any time soon.
Tough crowd here.

Graf Zahl said:

Too much visible geometry. You can see almost the entire level from everywhere and that costs a lot of time.

i wanted a big clunky end map with lotsa crap going on and "atmospheric" effects. the next legacy should handle this a bit better. it REALLY can't be perfect. i have wasted alot of time on this thing, too much time.

I played it (after about 20 minutes trying to get Legacy Running on my computer which is odd because I just used it to run HTH2). It's exactly as described... an old wad with some flashy new gl stuff. I'll still keep an eye out for Doom Forever 2, but this isn't anything I'm real excited about. It really feels like 1997 maps (for good reason) with just some lens flares. I can see why you'd release it, to keep it up to date and similar to your upcoming project. It seems very Lucasesque ;)

Long story short, if you've played Doom forever before, there probably isn't enough here to hold your interest again... if you're a big fan, then grab it.

I had never played or even heard of doom forever before. I thought it was pretty damn awesome though. The pistol and shotgun were done very well (all I had seen). I also liked the music and the textures that were used.

Now...are the monsters supposed to be super-fast, the imps especially are royally kicking my ass, or is it the fact that im stubbornly trying to use GZDoom to play it?

Killionaire said:

Now...are the monsters supposed to be super-fast, the imps especially are royally kicking my ass, or is it the fact that im stubbornly trying to use GZDoom to play it?

There are some rather high speed values and reduced state durations in the Dehacked patch. I haven't started the WAD with the patch yet but that sounds like it is supposed to be.

Killionaire said:

That's the Dehacked Patch.

Scuba Steve said:

I played it (after about 20 minutes trying to get Legacy Running on my computer which is odd because I just used it to run HTH2). It's exactly as described... an old wad with some flashy new gl stuff. I'll still keep an eye out for Doom Forever 2, but this isn't anything I'm real excited about. It really feels like 1997 maps (for good reason) with just some lens flares. I can see why you'd release it, to keep it up to date and similar to your upcoming project. It seems very Lucasesque ;)

Long story short, if you've played Doom forever before, there probably isn't enough here to hold your interest again... if you're a big fan, then grab it.

Exactly why I put "Revisit 1997" under the title. I just felt dirty since I first released it. Still, the layout/feel/design is the same, but most all of the maps are totally reworked/detailed, aside from map06 which is new.

And just incase anyone thinks this is ATMOSPHERE, it is not.
(P.S. I wouldn't run this outside of legacy, its not going to look the way its supposed to. I had originally wanted to release this with Lobo's front end to push the players into using legacy.)

jetflock said:

to push the players into using legacy.)

You only will push the Legacy non-users into not playing it if you did that.

What Legacy specific effects are you using anyway?

If the wad was made specifically for Legacy, then it'd probably be a good idea to run it in legacy, if at all possible. If all else fails, then GZDoom would be a good thing to try.

Yea, I'm not stupid enough to try and run a port specific wad in a different port. GZDoom has legacy map support.

Still, I'll download legacy anyway, I really want to try out this wad. The monster speed thing is pretty crazy though, I was pretty convinced it was a bug when I first saw it.

AgentSpork said:

If the wad was made specifically for Legacy, then it'd probably be a good idea to run it in legacy, if at all possible. If all else fails, then GZDoom would be a good thing to try.

The only obvious Legacy feature used by the maps are 3D floors so technically there's no reason why GZDoom can't run them - unless there are some specific effects that exploit the GL renderer.

I can't tell. Even when I manage to get Legacy to run that's one of the features I always keep switched off.

The point being that GZdoom may be able to RUN Legacy maps. But it's not always the way that the author intended the map to be seen. As for more specific, and important to the functionality of the map features. I am not sure since I don't care to figure it out, since I never had the need to use GZdoom to play anything made for legacy.

i didn't use "push" the way i think it has been taken. i should have said "steer". If anyone could not get legacy running, I would sooner have them dispose of my wad than play it on a diff. port(after all, i made it for myself using legacy).The lighting WILL NOT look good(corona's and basic map lighting), its also designed around legacy's eccentricities.
Go ahead and play it on another port(and blast that gamma correction,lol), though, if you do, you cannot judge it, regardless if you can or cannot run legacy.
Edit: legacy REALLY does more than most people think.

Graf Zahl said:

I can't tell. Even when I manage to get Legacy to run that's one of the features I always keep switched off.

what do you mean, "manage"? Do half of you make this crashing shit up? or do your computers suck?