Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Optimus

Are maps as much evolved in other games as in Doom?

After I've played a lot of old Vanilla Doom WADs with those tricks to overcome Doom's limits and the great details/shadows, I was wondering what would my eyes see if people editing for Duke3d/Blood or Quake 1 took the same effort as with Doom editing. I immidiately searched for Duke3d maps and found some which are supposed to be good ones, but I couldn't see that moody lightning and atmosphere there, also no amazing detail that is more than I have seen in these..

So,. I am asking people who happen to play maps from other oldschool 3d games than Doom (mostly games based on the Build engine or Quake 1), which maps do they suggest for these games? Which are the best/most detailed/beautifull? I want to see technically and artistically what can be achieved in these games. Surprisingly I haven't seen something in these games that is more atmospheric/impressive than the good levels in Doom but perhaps I didn't searched well. I am REALLY curious for anyone who knows..

I recall a Quake 1 map entitled "R_Speeds Be Damned" - a map designed for 1 GHz systems and newer because of its absurd detail and lack of optimization.

That would be Zerstörer: Testament Of The Destroyer, and Scourge of Armagon, the first official misssion pack for Quake. Great memory Ravage.

Both had a lot of neat effects over and above the original Quake. Scourge felt more like what Quake should have been. Quake was fun, but stylistically it was a mess, caused by the last minute decision to change the game's story and style. Scourge wove those same elements together in a more sensible and coherant way.

However, I don't think either had the kind of detail construction wise over the original game that, say Phobos Anomaly Reborn has over Doom. Skimming through my Quake directory to refresh my memory, I'd agree with Kristus on Rapture, and add the Nehahra Project and some of the levels from The Demon King to that. If memory serves, the Church level in the latter gave the original Quake engine a coronary.

kristus said:
For Quake1, Rapture.

Dose darkplaces break that for some reason?

I got up to this level that was supposed to have molten rock, but it was solid. and the map after that I can't get out of the second room. :/