Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FragUPlenty

My first ever WAD

it is very basic and only around 7k so if someone could check it out and explain to me how to make doors right. Anyway so far what it is basically a textured walls and monsters but I think for my first real try in WADauthor it is pretty good.

Heres the ink to my website where you can get it.

freewebs.com/ajpcinc

I also forgot to mention that it doesnt yet end either.

allright I just updated it and it is now 20k and it looks like a real space station now. Hopefully with some work I can put it in a skybox and have windows as well as doors and some keys needed to open them. Again this is very rough of the final that I want.

Ok, it's a pretty short map, with no exit none the less, and the weapon placement is pretty bad. Today's doomers dont need a plasma gun at the beginning of the map, and clusters of healthpacks during the map, it's pretty basic. As for monster placement, the weapons you provided off the bat made them a little to no threat.

I dont know what to say. Its...just unreal. Well I guess I should start. First off theres not any sort of tagged line or sector in the entire map, which means no doors, no exit, no secrets, etc. Theres also no height or lighting variance in the map, so if the walls didnt have some angles I would say you could have just as well made it in Wolf as anything. Texture use is terrible, its all techbase (not neccesarily bad), but its all haphazard and random, and looks ugly as shit. Moving on to the gameplay we find absolutely terrible thing placement, with dead simple and easy battles, horrid weapon placement, and almost random health placement. I cant find any redeeming qualitys about this map.

I implore you, produce something you would bother to play before unleashing it upon the masses.

Well it's pretty obvious it's your first map. The entire thing is just one sector, bascially. Please remember to add more height variety. We're way out of Wolfenstein ;) Use stairs, lifts, and so on to help you form better environemtns. Texturing on the other hand, wasn't bad at all for a first-time map! There are some obvious errors. Why are you using WadAuthor? It's an outdated editor and for a first time you'll most likely stuff your map with errors. Stop using and try Doom Builder, it's much easier. The gameplay needs some balancing but we'll still make a mapper out of you ;)

I fixed your map's sectors error and added the exit as well as 1 single area. Hope you don't mind.
http://paul.drdteam.org/Stuff/uac.wad

also I have been having alot of trouble with doors. Can someone please help me do them right because it is starting to frustrate the hell out of me.

I wouldn't exactly say that's the best way to do it, because then the area on either side of the door will be the same sector.. but I guess it's sufficient.

AgentSpork said:

I wouldn't exactly say that's the best way to do it, because then the area on either side of the door will be the same sector.. but I guess it's sufficient.

Agreed. It works, but as you gain more experience you'll find better ways to do it.

AgentSpork said:

Yeah, Agent spork is right. If you do it this way, monsters on the other side will hear the player shoot and will open that door. It is useful if you intend for that to happen though.