Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Torn

Flashback is not dead

Well, everybody, how goes the mapping. I feel sorry for not being active as of lately, but here I am. :P
if anybody finished with the maps, they can send them to tornthedark@nospam.gmail.com (remove nospam.). :)
Any report on how the maps is going could be good too.

Ahh, here goes this thread! :p Heh, didn't know it had already got bumped so many pages back.

Anyway, just letting you know that I haven't forgotten about this, and yes, I'm still working away on E4M6. :)

Hopefully I'll have a couple of the areas "up to snuff" enough to where I can post some screenies sometime soon. Not going to look as awesome as Slayer's do, but oh well. ;)

Without giving any details away, I'm going to just say that the project is still coming along, and that it is coming along very nicely. Episode 2 is the closest to completion.

esselfortium said:

Without giving any details away, I'm going to just say that the project is still coming along, and that it is coming along very nicely. Episode 2 is the closest to completion.

Th0r said:

Sorry for the huge mega bump - but is this project still alive?

Yes, it is still alive. As essel said, episodes 2 is almost complete. Only maps missing is e2m5(working on), e2m7 (not started yet) and e2m8 (but thats just needs more floor levels and detailing/gameplay, if you know, what I mean). The rest of the maps from that episode2 is all 95-99% complete.

Wow, that reminds me I have E4M4 to finish :)

Any info about achievements in other episodes, Torn?

Complete (still long way):
Episode1: E1M1 AND E1M8 (I have to check this sometime, but so classic that I dunno around making the levels. :P)
Episode2: E2M1, E2M2, E2M3, E2M4, E2M6, E2M9
Episode3: E3M1, E3M2, E3M8 (well, most of it)

Torn said:E1M8 (I have to check this sometime, but so classic that I dunno around making the levels. :P)[/B]

Does it mean, I ain't the only one, who doesn't know how to use the vanilla tags in boss-fight maps? That's a relief.

ellmo said:

Does it mean, I ain't the only one, who doesn't know how to use the vanilla tags in boss-fight maps? That's a relief.

No, I mean more that episode 1 is so classic, that I don't know to remake that in the right spirit.

ellmo said:

Torn said:

No, I mean more that episode 1 is so classic, that I don't know to remake that in the right spirit.

Uh, so I AM alone in my misery.

Back on-topic:
I just realized, I must have lost my E4M4 cover the last time I was formatting my HDD. Thankfully it was far from being complete, not to mention that I didn't like it enough to really care.
Alas - I'm building it from scracth, and it already looks better IMhO.

sargebaldy said:

Torn: Looks good! Nice to see this project is still moving... somewhat.

Well, at least episode 2 is soon complete. Then the levels needs bug fixing and such (coop testing too at a point, I know there is at least one coop bug in e2m4).

lupinx-Kassman said:

I want a E1 slot so badly...

I have strong feelings for episode1 of flashback, so no.

Thanks, sarge.

I must say I enjoy doing this map a lot. Much more than I enjoyed doing it the first time. The original E4M4: Unruly Evil is one of the most disgusting maps in the entire Doom series. 90% of it's architecture is coated with BROWNHUG, FLAT1, and CEIL5_2, which gives it a dull atmosphere; however it's also the most distinguishing issue, something everybody, who had seen this map just once, remembers. It's also divided into very recognizable parts, that can be relatively easily "flashbacked".

The challenge here, is to recreate this feeling, while making the map look better and still keeping it oldschool'ish; lay it out in such fasion, that it still resembles the original... and finally - to make it play nice.

Oh, joy!

ellmo said:

Thanks, sarge.

I must say I enjoy doing this map a lot. Much more than I enjoyed doing it the first time. The original E4M4: Unruly Evil is one of the most disgusting maps in the entire Doom series. 90% of it's architecture is coated with BROWNHUG, FLAT1, and CEIL5_2, which gives it a dull atmosphere; however it's also the most distinguishing issue, something everybody, who had seen this map just once, remembers. It's also divided into very recognizable parts, that can be relatively easily "flashbacked".

The challenge here, is to recreate this feeling, while making the map look better and still keeping it oldschool'ish; lay it out in such fasion, that it still resembles the original... and finally - to make it play nice.

Oh, joy!

The screenshots look good. However I am gonna pick another name from the Bible online, King James version. (yes, like they originally gave the levels names. :P)

Fell free to find a good name, but remember to include the full text where it is located. like this (behold the fire)

Genesis 22:7
And Isaac spake unto Abraham his father, 
and said, My father: and he said, 
Here am I, my son. And he said, 
Behold the fire and the wood:
but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?
Genesis 22:6-8 (in Context) Genesis 22 (Whole Chapter)

Most recent screenshots are well crafted. It is nice to see that there aren't sectors galore in the maps in a good tribute like this.

TheCupboard said:

It is nice to see that there aren't sectors galore in the maps(...)

Speaking of sectors, there are far too much in screenshot two. I was wondering wether I should change this area to something even more oldschool. Now I'm certain I should.

ellmo said:

Speaking of sectors, there are far too much in screenshot two. I was wondering wether I should change this area to something even more oldschool. Now I'm certain I should.

I don't know, it looks good to me. Just make sure it'll run in doom.exe or Chocolate Doom without visplane-overflowing. You might have to remove some sectors for that, but I don't know.

Heh, I didn't mean that there are too many sectors to be handled by vanilla doom or chocolate, they just seem to be a bit out of place. They don't look bad, just not like "Thy Flesh Consumed". It's fixed already.

All I have to do is to put an exit, and some more medkits. This one map is hard.

ellmo said:

Heh, I didn't mean that there are too many sectors to be handled by vanilla doom or chocolate, they just seem to be a bit out of place. They don't look bad, just not like "Thy Flesh Consumed". It's fixed already.

All I have to do is to put an exit, and some more medkits. This one map is hard.

Should be hard, as the rest is really hard. The diffult should be harder than the original episode, as I am sure people have got better in 12 years. :P

Lightning Hunter said:

Yes, I know; epic bump. But whatever happened to this? Was it ever officially canceled?

You fucking Jack of Clubs I thought this was bumped for a release. I know that only two demos were released which I obtained I am unsure of whether it was abandoned or not. Didn't Espi map for this?