Check out my map

beanenator said:

Comments how to make it better

Far too many to post on

Doors need jambs..
Sectors need to be closed
Some things are outside sectors...
textures need to be aligned

well yeah theres a lot of stuff, too much to post..

Please tell me this is your first map. Then tell me what program you built it with.

Psycho Siggi said:

One has to wonder how those stealth monsters managed to get to 1994...

:D

Beanenator -
If this isn't a slige level here are a few suggestions:
Vary your light levels
Vary your floor and ceiling heights
Grind down your corners / bump out some walls
Add more non-wall details (like that blue thing towards the beginning)

I liked your cross on the ceiling. More things like that would dress up the level a lot. Good luck!

-Remove all stealth monsters cause to put it simple they suck
-More light variation
-More detail
-Lower unpeg your doortracks
-Some flats look better if they are aligned to the 64X64 grid.
-Texture aligning is needed and imo more teture variation you seem to overuse the stargr1 startan and it makes it look all the same.
-Fix unclosed sectors
-An nice outside area with an nice hard monster trap yummy :)
-Ledges, slimepits, computer panels, lifts, stairs, chrushers, ceiling lights, windows that look over that nice outside area giving the player an nice view.
-Recessed switches lights panels pipes, slimepits with overhanging pipes where nukage waste is flowing out from.
-Maybe fix the weird shapes some of the rooms have.

I think ill fiddle around with your map for an while see what I can make of this.

This map could have been better when i started it i was a new at mapping i have got a whole lot better.
Can't wait to see your fiddleing.

Most newbie maps look quite similar to yours you will get better evetually.
You know how to make doors allready continue onto the next thing, lets see what I can make of your starting room :)

Gameplay was boring and easy there wasn't any challenge in it for me.
Your starting room after a couple of minutes mapping, adding detail improves your map alot.

Well yes its just the same starting room though I have changed the shape just a little bit.
Ill email the map to you in a sec.

dutch devil said:

Well yes its just the same starting room though I have changed the shape just a little bit.
Ill email the map to you in a sec.

He LIES!!! -jk

beanenator, what map utility are you using?

Well, there's an improvement.
But you're still in 1994 ;)

Unless I'm mistaken, there are still some mapping errors. The floor areas in this screenshot on the left side seem broken to me.

You've made a huge improvement, but you have a long way to go. Psycho Siggi is right about your map being stuck in '94. I think right now the major issues are texture-wise. There is no evidence any effort to align textures and the transitions from wall to floor and in some sections, one wall to another wall need serious work.

The first screenshot looks decent, save for the sectors in the left half that don't look to be closed. On the far right, I also see STARG1 being cut off suddenly on a sharp angle, which is unpleasant.

On your third screenshot, you cut off the STARG1 again, this time going into the floor. This problem with cutting off textures in bad places is obvious in most of the screens. The archways are a nice attempt at detail, but in their current state are quite ugly.

Your final shot also bothers me. Right in front of the shotgun, going around the corner is a sharp transition between TEKGREN and STARG1 that needs desperately to be fixed. You could make them both the same texture and align them to fit together, or use a texture like SUPPORT2 to divide them.(this is done a lot in Episode 1 of Doom if you want examples)

Select the sectors you want to join and press Ctrl+J. Unclosed sectors occur (in Doom Builder anyway) when you delete a line splitting sectors. Some editors like DCK automatically merge the sectors, but Doom Builder doesn't.