Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Torn

Heretic: Treasure Chest

Hmm? I'm not aware of anything... could you send me a Private Message with something specific? I'll look into it. It may just be the word filters. (If you want to, that is.)

Wow, this project seems like something people wanted. At least I feel it that way, based on how many people that has signed up since I made this thread. Thank you all very much, I hope this will be a succes. :)

I wish I could map, as I would join this project in a heart beat. :) I've been dying to see a good community map pack made for this game.

A quick question: are the levels going to be themed after their respective episode and/or map? That is E1 maps will be mostly dungeons and some watery ares, E2 will be firey, and E3 in sewers and aquaducts?

Yah, I feel the same than Snarboo, learning to map seems to take some time I can't afford to spend, badly...

For E1M6, E4M4 and E3M4, be sure to place a secret exit there ^^

Torn said:

Wow, this project seems like something people wanted. At least I feel it that way, based on how many people that has signed up since I made this thread.

You may have to open up E4 soon :P

Kristus said:

How do you make an aquaduct w/o 3d floors? Oh yeah, you don't. :p

I did.

It was just really tall.

But since you were in it, you couldn't really tell.

Unless you jumped out, which I allowed for at a few brief points.

Snarboo said:

A quick question: are the levels going to be themed after their respective episode and/or map? That is E1 maps will be mostly dungeons and some watery ares, E2 will be firey, and E3 in sewers and aquaducts?

I tried to suggest and discuss that earlier, nobody said anything so who knows :P I'd still suggest it though.

My map resembles nothing from Episode 2, sadly. I had originally thought about adding in some cave/fire areas, but at this point I don't see how that'd work.

Lüt said:

I tried to suggest and discuss that earlier, nobody said anything so who knows :P I'd still suggest it though.

AgentSpork said:

My map resembles nothing from Episode 2, sadly. I had originally thought about adding in some cave/fire areas, but at this point I don't see how that'd work.

Well, maybe we could arrange some of the maps, so they fit to the episodes they are in. But I dunno, it is up to you, guys. :)

Danarchy said:

If there's any more space, I want in!

Only one left. :P

*NOTE* All mapslots filled, so get mapping. :P

Created a new "backup episode, as if anybody drop out, it won't be a pain in the ass to replace them. (sorry, but I know how community projects works and some body is probably gonna drop out soon or later). :)

E1M9 is going well, and its looking quite good. Its going to be a smallish level I believe when finished. It will be straight forward in progression and I'm going to include at least two keys in the map. You will get it for sure.

It was a good idea to create an Episode Backup, because there is no doubt that some of the members will lose intrest. I'm happy enough to create one good map for it because I havent really made many Heretic Levels before. I did release one map for Heretic named Candy Choppers 5 years ago which was okay. You can get it from http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=11224 . It replaces E2M1.

Hello everybody, I am gonna get disconnected for a few weeks. The reason is that we are moving and I will first get online when there is internet at the new page. But don't wait for me, hold this project alive. :)
And then we will check in october, how long everybody have got.

Hey Torn, I have an idea, what about to use the three secret map slots (E6M1-3) for simpler but particular maps (Deathmatch, monster arenas, and what not), on this way, half lazy, or with little time, but creative and inspired people could join too.

Kaiser and I, um, agreed, that he would do E3M8. So the slot for E3M8 needs to be changed to him.

My map is about halfway done. I havent got a name for it atm. I'm on such a roll with it that it should be done in 2 weeks.

I started, got a fair bit on the way. Then Doombuilder said, Fuck you and I lost it cause I had not made a save yet.

kristus said:

I started, got a fair bit on the way. Then Doombuilder said, Fuck you and I lost it cause I had not made a save yet.

This may sound like I'm going way overboard but I save after every little thing I do to a map weather It be adding 50 sectors that make up half the map, or changing a texture on a wall or even just dragging a linedef alittle to the left :P haha...I always save after. Takes afew seconds to do. but it does save you from going throgh re-doing lost work or even starting all over again.

Aleaver said:

This may sound like I'm going way overboard but I save after every little thing I do to a map weather It be adding 50 sectors that make up half the map, or changing a texture on a wall or even just dragging a linedef alittle to the left :P haha...I always save after. Takes afew seconds to do. but it does save you from going throgh re-doing lossed worked or even starting all over again.

hehe. I do the same thing, especially because I'm so used to Hellmaker which loves finding reasons to crash. ;p

Torn said:

Hey, I have been lurking around on the board and it seems like many people were interested in mapping for heretic. I was thinking, sure why not. Heretic really need a original megawad, as it has none, zero, any. Just check the idgames archives for yourself. So here is a community chest type of project for heretic, going for 3 episodes.

Maybe this sounds like megalomania, but what about a megamegawad in the size of 5 (or 6) episodes (SOTSR size, basically)?

Andy, yeah I am usually like that too. But occationally I get into it and forget all about it. This is usually not an issue though, since none of the tools I currently use are prone to crashing (Doom3ed, 3d studio, Modo, Photoshop etc) and not even Doombuilder. But of course. It do happen. :p

Anyway. I restarted and saved this time. However, it has been many years ago since I last worked on a map for anything that doesn't support any form of 3d geometry. (Not since Alien Vendetta actually) So currently, everything looks pretty shitty. I might make some modified textures to suit my needs though.

EDIT: BTW, I was wondering. How much freedom do I have when I work on this map. Regarding editng hacks and tricks that will not work properly in OpenGL modes for instance.

Gah! I forgot about this, I just started E2M8 last night, I will try to port my E1M3 from GZDoom to Vanilla Heretic so it will work for some people...

Also:
E2M8, name: Minotaur Sanctuary

also: are we allowed to have custom textures for some of our levels?

kristus said:

BTW, I was wondering. How much freedom do I have when I work on this map. Regarding editng hacks and tricks that will not work properly in OpenGL modes for instance.

Oh come on you guys, please make this compatible with JHERETIC.
Please!
ZDOOM seems like so overused and JHERETIC seems so underused. :(

KingofFlames said:

are we allowed to have custom textures for some of our levels?

I really loved the way that Ichor mixed textures from all 4 Heretic/Hexen games into one WAD. He did it with such a good-balanced and spread-out taste. And it meshed together so flawlessly.

Yet somehow I have a gut feeling that Torn wants this to be a pure Heretic megawad.

On the other hand, if he does give his approval, then I really hope that at least some of you guys get loads of those textures from Hexen hubs 3 and 4....those monastery and chapel ones.