Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cycloid

Scimitar 1.0

"The Source" - That's what they call it.

No one quite knows what it is, apart from the
birthing grounds of the monstrous army that
invaded your planet. Your team was sent to
destroy it, but the way in was heavily guarded,
and now only you survive. 

You'll have to find another way in...

http://www.cyclomedia.co.uk/doom/wads/scimitar.zip

http://www.cyclomedia.co.uk/doom/wads/scimitar.txt

http://www.cyclomedia.co.uk/doom/scimitar.asp

Tried it in ZDoom 2.1.5. First level runs fine--Nice setup. Liked the Scimitar (Shadow Warrior, anyone?) then got to the second level. The program mentioned something about missing linedefs and then quit. Granted, I'm using a beta-ish version of ZDoom, but so far so good
nice setup-liked the acropolis level

JB

I'm playing it now. I'm on the second episode (?), and I like what I see. I'm really confused about the "new" Zombieman sprite. It seems to be slower (when dieing), and very inaccurate (has nothing to do with the sprite, but...). It seems a bit strange, is there a reason behind this? Also it doesn't drop any ammo. I like the new green Zombieman, you know which I'm talking about, the one that killed me a lot.

I played it in the latest version of GZDoom and it works great. I see no noticeable texture flaws/errors (though, I didn't look too hard). I really like how later on in the levels, you can see the other parts of previous levels, this is very cool. It almost feels like a hub, but I know it isn't. I'm not too happy with the small map size, although it is unnecessary to have large maps with this type of design. The sewers got boring quick (one of the reasons why I'm writing this now) I never liked sewer maps :(. The detail is mediocre in some areas, but nice in others. Not to detract from the level set, this is very nice wad.

Gameplay is decent, but can be difficult in areas (the accuracy of those new green Zombiemen is kind of, well, accurate). Some areas seem to difficult, but then right after I find a nice reward so that's a plus. Overall the gameplay is balanced in a lot of areas.

Wow I just wrote a lot. Great job with this mapset!

The "green zombieman" totes a double barrelled shotgun - supershotgun if you will. He drops this when killed. ( well he did using Risen3D )

To create the green-marine i had to do some item shuffling, the green marine IS the original marine, but the clip that he normally drops has been replaced by his weapon. The old zombiman had to be moved, but could no longer drop a clip, as which-monster-id-drops-what-item-id is hardcoded. The new zombieman is based off of the pain elemental. which is why it's probably even dumber than usual. this also means that there's a very easy way to find out if the DEH patch is running, the first monster you meet on map01 is a single zombie. if he shoots at you it worked, if he shoots a monster at you then it's still acting like a pain elemental!

As for the sewer maps being, well, crappy, it was the longest hardest part of the build process, and definitely a regret. i'd made the concious decision to hard-theme the episodes and had written myself into a corner. thankfully it's also the shortest episode with only 3 non-arena maps. the final one, map10 is probably my favourite of the set and even it's not that great. ho hum.

So is it a new monster all together? Or did you replace the pain elemental, because I haven't encountered any of them yet.

cycloid said:
To create the green-marine i had to do some item shuffling, the green marine IS the original marine, but the clip that he normally drops has been replaced by his weapon.

I'm assuming you stuck to Boom compatibility so that more engines would run the wad, though MBF has a feature that allows you to specify a dropped item (additional items spawned or dropped beyond the ones in Doom: clip, shotgun, chaingun, and lost souls).

antodote: the pain elemental and lost soul do not feature

myk: yeah i was aiming for baseline boom compatibility, though grazza has found an error with map12 that prevents it being run in boom/prboom 202.