Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Darmuss

Zdoom and P.A.R. harmony?

I'm setting out to play PAR.

I'm curious, are the minor troubles mentioned in PAR's textfile fixed now with the current ZDoom.

or which ports (boom/prboom?) can run this wad as intended.

Many of the issues have been fixed. Don't forget that this WAD is 4 years old.
But there's no guarantee that you won't encounter the occasional oddity - but nothing that might break the game.

From what I remember (and I did do some preliminary testing), there were two issues:

1) My specific transparency maps didn't work in ZDoom, so certain walls end up looking more opaque than I intended.

2) ZDoom's crushing ceilings didn't crush barrels, so certain special effects (like the TNT in E3M3 or the cannon in E3M9) don't function correctly.

3) Some instant-death warps (warping into a voodoo-doll) didn't work for reasons beyond my understanding. So, if you teleport into a dark box with another player 1, assume you have died.

Other than that, it should play fine.

Lutz said:

3) Some instant-death warps (warping into a voodoo-doll) didn't work for reasons beyond my understanding. So, if you teleport into a dark box with another player 1, assume you have died.

The reason is simple: ZDoom removes voodoo dolls, so the player has nothing to telefrag.

Lutz said:
From what I remember (and I did do some preliminary testing), there were two issues:

1) My specific transparency maps didn't work in ZDoom, so certain walls end up looking more opaque than I intended.

Support for that has been added in the mean time.

2) ZDoom's crushing ceilings didn't crush barrels, so certain special effects (like the TNT in E3M3 or the cannon in E3M9) don't function correctly.

The cannon's explosions appear so this also seems to be fixed. AFAIK this was caused by a bug that has been fixed a long time ago.

If you mean in M4 when falling off the train I certainly die.
Other than that, it should play fine.

@ultdoomer: Please inform yourself before you post.

Graf: after playing around some last night, it looks like those issues have all been fixed.

(Unfortunately, I also noticed how friggin' hard it is to move around the levels; there are just too many pillars/crates/pits/etc. Oh well -- at least it still looks pretty good...)

Heh, at first I thought you were talking about this.

But that cleared up quickly. Most bugs were fixed in the new versions of zdoom, I played PAR with zdoom and the effects worked fine for me. It seems the only problem left is the transparency maps, which isn't a dreadful thing but a minor issue(at least for me, I still had fun).

ZDoom can't use the translucency maps directly so all it can do it analyze it and take a guess at the actual translucency value. I never checked how good that is though.