Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Cannibal Corpse Doom TC

Having been a Cannibal Corpse fan for 7 years now, I've always wanted to see a Doom TC based on them. The band's imagery, lyrics and music, to me, reflect a lot of the brutality seen in Doom. Many of the album covers--particularly Gallery of Suicide, Bloodthirst, Live Cannibalism and Tomb of the Mutilated--would make excellent levels. However, instead of saying WAH WAH Make me a TC WAH WAH, I want to take the extra step and do the following:

-Create blueprints for levels
-Replace all necessary textures, sounds, sprites and weapons
-Get permission from the band to use their music and likeness (which is actually pretty easy)

This would be a lot of work, but I've been an artist for about 17 years, and a pixel artist for 14, so it's something I feel I could handle. Weapons, enemies and settings would all have likeness to the band's music and imagery. The only thing I would require are level designers, as I've attempted to map for Doom before with no luck. So basically, this is calling for anyone who's a fan or would just be interested in helping with this project. I could eventually post some "starter graphics" or bluepritns to show that I'm serious. Due to the complexity of what I have in mind, GzDoom would be the ideal port to use, although Zdoom could work too.

I've heard of them and seen their discography, but I am not necessarily a fan because I haven't really listened to them at all. However, this sounds like a cool TC and I would be more than happy to map for you.

I think the top three wads that I've made would be: Maxima.wad, Babel.wad, and my recent release, Synapse.wad

If you're interested send me a PM.

-SlatheDoomer

Killer, I'll check out your work and make a decision. I should also mention that I would need someone who can program any adjustments that would need to be made to the sprites. This wouldn't be anything major though.

Hu hu, with a reference to the ridiculous “Blessed are the sick” movie clip?

ducon said:

Hu hu, with a reference to the ridiculous “Blessed are the sick” movie clip?

heh, what's that all about?

Dittohead said:

How about a Morbid Angel TC instead?

Trey Azagthoth actually made a ZDoom map, which I won't link to because it contains the full Doom 2 iwad. I actually sent their webmaster a message about it but I never got a reply.

How about just a 90's death metal TC? I can think of tons of album covers with eerie landscapes that would work very well with Doom.

Dittohead said:
heh, what's that all about?

The video is kind of funny, with an 80s feel (cheesy-like).

How about: tell me you aren't going to do this, but then do it behind my back, because I hate 90's, 80's, and 70's "metal"... thanks.

Antidote said:

How about: tell me you aren't going to do this, but then do it behind my back, because I hate 90's, 80's, and 70's "metal"... thanks.

Bad music knows no time frames. That being said, I love 90s metal :)

I was kinda hoping I wouldn't get this response, so I might cancel the project due to a lack of interest. Thanks anyway.

Well, except for SlatheDoomer, it seems like hardly anyone would have any interest in even PLAYING such a wad, apparently due to death metal still being laughable and easily dismissed as silly or just plain bad. I'd need more than one level designer anyway, and a supporting interest in it being completed.

I can hardly consider Cannibal Corpse as death metal... well the death metal that I listen to is completely different than that.

I'd be interested in it, if it had new and interesting levels... maybe a new monsters or two with a few new weapons (maybe that's asking to much, if it's just levels, I'd at least try it). Good luck if you ever decide on making this TC.

I got a sudden surge of inspiration tonight and decided not to cancel it; I even made a mock sprite of the "Eaten" guy, but I'm not posting it till I make a better version. As to Cannibal not being death metal, I think Antidote may need to do a little research, as Cannibal's music follows all of the patterns, textures, arrangements and tones that would typically describe the sound (though I'm not here to start a debate). That aside, I hope to have images up soon in the hope of attracting another mapper or two. SlatheDoomer's work isn't half bad though, as I checked out his most recent wad.

Antidote said:
I can hardly consider Cannibal Corpse as death metal...

That's kind of like saying Hell Revealed isn't a DOOM II megawad, as it's one of the early bands that pretty much helped define the gerne.

Is there loud and fast instrument playing? Is the vocalist screaming about disembowelment or Satan? Is there a distinct lack of dulcimer? Then it's death metal.

Antidote said:

Everyone has their own views. I'm sorry that I don't think that sound of CC sounds like death metal to me.

It's not about opinion. Cannibal Corpse are quintessentially death metal. Read the list of death metal characteristics here and you'll find that CC meets all of them, then read the history section to find that, as Myk said, they were a crucial band in the development of the genre.

What would you consider death metal if Cannibal Corpse isn't?
Infact what would you consider CC to be?

In fact, I do consider them to be a certain type of Death Metal (uncategorized in my head... I can't explain it)... Death Metal of today sounds completely different, and that's what I base my views off of. I know this is a childish view/idea, but I myself am childish and selfish.

To be honest, I don't like CC, listened to them a couple of times, saw a video and witnessed a live show, but I just like them, they're not my cup of tea in today's world of death metal. Unfourtunalty the death metal that I like happens to be just a bunch of MySpace.com bands. I imagine you guys think that, that website is for losers, and nothing good ever comes out of it, I find it be a great site to find news bands who play the music I adore (that being: death metal, grindcore and all of it's sub-genres).

Now that I've said that, let's get this TC on already, I can play something I don't like... I'm sorry for making a stink in the first place... all I can say is "my bad".

No problem, I'm not as discouraged as I think I came off; in fact I'm not discouraged at all. I'm hoping to have some screens up this week of preliminary work.

hmm, doom wads based on bands

i want to play van halen doom. running from the devil then onto an erupting volcano then getting me, going through panama, jumping long distances, fisting teacher etc

Uncle 80 said:

How 'about a NILE tc? You could have pyramids, mummies, serpents and...

Yay, and there will be Cthulhu or Shub-Niggurath.

Antidote: Perhaps you are confusing Death metal (e.g. Cannibal Corpse) with (the currently more popular) Melodic Death (e.g. Morbid Angel, Carcass) or Technical Death (e.g. Cryptopsy, Darkane)?

Anyways... Good luck GoatLord, I look forward to playing this.