Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Alpha transparency in zdoom

I use Photoshop to generate textures and sprites for the current project I'm working on. What format should I save in for Zdoom to regcognize transparency? I normally save in .gif in order to reduce the colors to Doom's palette, so I'm kinda stuck here.

8 bit PNG (or just use cyan/the transparent index).

A better way to work with doom's palette in photoshop is to periodically go to Image > Mode > Indexed Color and apply the doom palette.

I think you may have misunderstood, or I misread...I'm actually speaking of textures like the rocket "smears" or blood splats, which contain alpha transparency.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

There's a method to do translucent/transparent textures with ACS scripts, or with a linedef action which is readily available in ZDoom (not sure about ZDoom in Doom format, actually). But as for transparency on things such asa sprites or other objects, there's a bit you can set (with Doom Builder) for ZDoom in Hexen format maps which makes the object 50% translucent or some such; and I'm sure there's a way to use alpha channels with 32-bit PNGs. Check the ZDoom Wiki for more info.

GoatLord said:

I think you may have misunderstood, or I misread...I'm actually speaking of textures like the rocket "smears" or blood splats, which contain alpha transparency.

Those are simple grayscale PNGs that have to be postprocessed with a special tool (search for 'setpng' on the ZDoom forum) to turn them into alpha maps.