Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
june gloom

cold as hell - stuck

i've looked everywhere, and i can NOT find the last access code in staff housing. the scientist's note said it was in the library, but it wasn't. where is it?

On a tangent, Cold as Hell was so promising, but buggy code, frustrating game play and level confusion took the mod down a few notches.

for the most part, i agree. the difficulty is just right... on hey not too rough.

the reloading code is broken to varying degrees on anything other than .63a (which it works fine in), which is unfortunate because the wad runs much faster in gzdoom's hardware accelleration (where the reload code doesn't work at all!)

the levels weren't too confusing, except for this one part. which leads me to another question: do i NEED the flamethrower ('cuz i know that's what the access codes are for) to kill the pilot with?

From what I remember, you don't need the flamethrower to kill him. You have to find an explosive and it's detonator unit later on for this.

But yeah, looking for the last code was a bitch. I combed every room in every building and I still couldn't seem to find it so I think I just noclipped through the door I had to open.

You have to actually *read* the 4 notes that get mentioned in the mission objectives to get the last access code.

As for the WAD: what a shame. I was able to decompile the scripts and fix the biggest problems (I had to remove the reloading stuff) but obviously this introduced a few other problems. This could have been one of the greatest WADs ever but I think it will enter the hall of shame of potentially great projects ruined by poor design decisions.

well, i DID read the notes, which means the last access code is somewhere else.

but WHERE? i've searched all of the staff housing for it. it is nowhere.

[later] i've determined that i do in fact have all the codes. which means that the scripting is broken.

either that, or i'm going about this all wrong and i don't need the codes to open the door to the flamethrower. (the codes are for the main lab itself, which makes more sense i guess.) which leads me to ask, how the fuck do i open that door?

finished it. didn't need the flamethrower after all.

the author needs to remake this for a different engine that can handle all the technical effects he was trying to put in. like, maybe half-life 1, since he swiped all the weapons from day of defeat anyway.

The author needed to wait about 6 months until ZDoom incorporated the extensive decorate features for weapons. He could add new guns with reloading, and wouldn't rely on buggy scripts and special key bindings. Also, get rid of the stupid way health is done with bleeding :P

The bleeding wasn't too bad although I must admit I did have a few occassions where I simply bled to death, having used up all my bandages and being unable to find more. The author didn't have to push the health down to 50%. it's still Doom after all.

the bleeding was stupid. why was it stupid? because a simple bandage should just STOP bleeding permanently without raising total health, not giving you an extra 10 seconds to frantically find enough medkits to get above bleed level.

Oh wait, you're right. I forgot the bandages only stopped it for a few seconds. I must be thinking of another game that used them too.