Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DaMush

Sector effects in Wad Editing

Hello. I have a question. i heard that there exist over 16 000 sector effects, and there should be some that makes the player "glide" over the floor, like if i have the effect on a sector, as far as someone walks in to the sector, they will automaticly move in a specified direction. My question is: How do i do this? What sector effect is those, or is it something else that makes this?

Please!

- First, I don't know where the 16 000 number came from, but it must be some kind of misunderstanding.
- Second, vanilla Doom does not support neither moving floors (like conveyor belts) nor slippery floors (like ice). This effect can be achieved when using a source port (I think everything that supports Boom is capable of doing it), or mapping for Hexen.

You could try the following ports:
prBoom
ZDoom
GZDoom

Then of course you have to prepare a map for designated engine (Doom Builder is the best tool for that, thanks to different accurate configs for each source port). Make a sector, select a special... and I'm sure you'll do fine from there.

ellmo said:

- First, I don't know where the 16 000 number came from, but it must be some kind of misunderstanding.

Not exactly. I can't say how many there are though, but Boom introduced the ability to mix and match the sector effects, and as a result the number of variations is quite high.

And to find Sourceports that you can use, go here: http://www.doomworld.com/classicdoom/ports/

kristus said:

Not exactly. I can't say how many there are though, but Boom introduced the ability to mix and match the sector effects, and as a result the number of variations is quite high.

Yeah, I thought of that, however I find mixing all effects like damage, lightning, friction, movement, secret flag to be far from 16 000 possibilities; while two sectors for example dealing different floor damage use the same function, only with different arguments...

...oh fuck it! I just mean people shouldn't tell newbie mappers there are 16 000 functions, cause this isn't 100% true and mapper-wannabies may panic. I know I would.

It would be wonderful if there were 16000 sector effects, each with its original function.

I really don't hink so. 90% of them would be probably useless, not impacting the gameplay too much.