Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MikeyScoots

[Community Project] Untitled New Years CP.

Well ladies and gentlemen it seems that 2008 is only a month away and Doom will shortly be turning 14 years old. In celebration of Doom's birthday and the approaching new year I've decided to see if the community would like to be involved in a 16 map megawad slated for release on new year's day. If interested please sign up for a map slot that is available. The deadline for all maps will be January 10th and to be submitted to my email The360guy89@yahoo.com

Map Rules
-Boom Compatible-
-Midis only-
-Any theme-
http://rapidshare.com/files/72754710/BSPACK.zip.html <..Texture Pack UPDATED 11/27/07!!!

Map Slots
Map01--<DeathDestiny>
Map02--<KingofFlames>
Map03--<Printz>
Map04--<Bloodskull>
Map05--<stewboy>
Map06--<Butts>
Map07--<The Lag>
Map08--<Craigs>
Map09--<Hardcore_Gamer>
Map10--<Dutch Devil>
Map11--<Janitor>
Map12--
Map13--<DeathDestiny>
Map14--<Fisk>
Map15--<Icecream Soldier>
Map16--<DeathDestiny>

If you have any questions please send me an email or pm and I will respond back to you ASAP.
-Bloodskull-

UPDATE: Deadline extended to January 14th.

Shadowrunner, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

Why 16? Yeah it's 32/2, but still makes no sense (DOOM isn't turning 16), specially if it's going to be played on all Boom compatible ports (no victory text at the end).

In Megawad in Two Weeks we also had 16 maps, but that was because of submitted maps (and we added a victory screen and text at the end). I think it's better to be limited to the number of submitted maps, no matter if the number is over or under 16.

If the purpose of this project is to celebrate DOOM's birthday, I think maps should have to be related in some way to that (but not just "do your map inside a big <Happy birthday DOOM>", something more interesting).

Well Vegeta if there are more people interested in making a map I wouldnt mind extending the number to 32 maps. I also said its to celebrates Doom birthday but also the New Year that is approaching.

Heh.. I was insinuating to reduce the number.

Also just a wad, because it's DOOM birthday, at least for me doesn't make sense if it's just another random wad pack. This was just a suggestion though.

I'm tempted to make a map for this project, but I'm not sure I have the time. If I finish, I'll send it to you directly. Don't slot me in, tho.

I guess it's a difficulty on merging all people's choice textures together.

Also, why should authors choose their own texture sets? It's better to keep a Bloodskull-designated set, because a common texture set would be one descriptive feature of this freeform wad.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Give me slot 14.

I'll try my hand at map 06. Is it cool if I choose to do an all-stock textured map? I'll probably end up using the resources anyways.

Butts said:

I'll try my hand at map 06. Is it cool if I choose to do an all-stock textured map? I'll probably end up using the resources anyways.

All stock is perfectly fine. The only difference that your level will experience is a new sky in the final product.

Bloodskull, the texture wad you uploaded is flawed.
It has some textures with patches pointing to nonexistent lumps. I had to delete those textures, because the port I use which is based on Boom won't load upon noticing them. PrBoom won't load, either. You said the wad is to be Boom compatible, not ZDoom compatible. Probably you just tested it in ZDoom. If you tested it in ZDoom, why not turn it into a ZDoom compatible wad?

printz said:
...why not turn it into a ZDoom compatible wad?

I have to admit, that would certainly make things easier on me. I've gotten used to being able to use simple txt lmp inserts to do things (ie mapinfo).

printz said:

Bloodskull, the texture wad you uploaded is flawed.
It has some textures with patches pointing to nonexistent lumps. I had to delete those textures, because the port I use which is based on Boom won't load upon noticing them. PrBoom won't load, either. You said the wad is to be Boom compatible, not ZDoom compatible. Probably you just tested it in ZDoom. If you tested it in ZDoom, why not turn it into a ZDoom compatible wad?

Make it ZDoom-compatible because he's too lazy to fix bugs in it? Great idea!

I think what he meant was that if Bloodskull has only been using zdoom, he would expect that Bloodskull would want to create this map for zdoom.

Not everyone uses zdoom, obviously. Is BOOM less restrictive in some important way?

I'm not even using the texture wad but if I would decide to use some textures which are not in that recource wad would it be ok if I put them in I'm not planning alot of custom ones just a few flats and textures.

additup said:

Is BOOM less restrictive in some important way?

Boom doesn't give nearly as much freedom as ZDoom, but there's still a lot of impressive things that can be done with it if you know what you're doing. In particular, you can "script" complex events by building contraptions in off-map areas using voodoo dolls and pushing/scrolling floors.

dutch devil said:

I'm not even using the texture wad but if I would decide to use some textures which are not in that recource wad would it be ok if I put them in I'm not planning alot of custom ones just a few flats and textures.

I dont have a problem with that but make a zip file with the flats and textures your using and I'll merge it with my resource. I would like to ask that you check the resource wad to make sure that the flat and textures names wont conflict the way your map looks when it's finished though. The resource pack has been re-uploaded to fix any problems you guys had.

Do ya guys assume there's a light source in the zenith (where no one can look), explaining why wads with night skies usually have normal light levels, not darknesses?

I think it's more of just a playability thing, printz. A well-designed map can still feel like night time without using lots of dark light levels, if it has a night sky and isn't all fullbright or something. Plus, you can consider the ambient light from buildings and whatnot.