Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CyberMonsterDude

What is the best WAD you ever played and why?

Scuba Steve said:

It's not my FAVORITE, but I really enjoyed it and have been begging Russell for a sequel ever since; Doom Raider. Russell, if you hear me, we need more Doom Raider! Maybe we can work out an Indiana Jones theme where you get a cool revolver and a whip and some scripted stuff where you have to use it to swing over holes by whipping onto outcropped ledges... just a thought.

That would be awesome :D

Hate to sound like a selfish prick (on the basis that I have one map in each) but I really love playing UDM2 and UDM3. They're always bound to be fun whenever I jump into a server with one of those playing. Same goes for ZDCTFMP and ZDCTFMP2, despite the fact they're the DWANGO5 of CTF WADs

EDIT: Screw everything I said above, dogtag3 is the best

I'm never good at choosing favorites, but I'd probably go for Equinox. I've replayed it more often than a lot of other WADs, and I recall just being absolutely stunned by it from beginning to end. (The music, especially, was all very atmospheric.) Scythe/Scythe II are also up there.

Doom Marine said:

Heh, I can explain that. After testing the levels for the ith time, the demo testers and I became desensitized to the levels' difficulties, so slowly, over the course of several weeks, I ramped up the carnage until most of the hell levels were balls to the wall murder even with dozens of practice runs... having Belial as a tester didn't help much either. In any case, if anyone was caught playing DVII on skill 4, they were asking for it.

DVII beta testing turned me into a zombie. Even though it drastically improved my playing skills at the time, I could never produce a quality demo.

I'm an AV/HR1-2/Scythe1-2 junkie. I actually managed to play up until around map 25 of HR2 on skill 4. Got too damn hard around there though.

As far as DM is concerned, I like exec, the udm series, greenwar, judas23.. theres some other real good ones that I can't find the name of..

..I really wish erik alm could muster the will to finish scythe2..

Zen Dynamics

At the time of its first release, this wad was simply mind-blowing. Everything about it was pushing Zdoom to the edge and it was a fantastic product. I couldn't get over how advanced it was at the time. Nowadays, it's still an excellent conversion with updated features due to Zdoom's expanded editing features. Truly a masterpiece.

Memento Mori II.

I remember waking up ultra early on the morning it was due out, and sitting there waiting for it to download on my 28.8k modem, then getting completely blown away by the whole thing once I finally got to play it. Everything, from the innovative level design to the music, was a whole new experience for its time. So for that reason I think it still remains my favorite wad ever.

Mike.Reiner said:

..I really wish erik alm could muster the will to finish scythe2..

I hope so. The Hell maps were definitely looking the best. Does he still map anymore? I've not seen anything recent from him. =(

--->FreeDooM<---

The reason for this is that freedoom made me aware of this whole custom-wad, source ports and wadnot -business in late 2007, where i had to find some non physical challenging (and meaningful) activity, due to a slipped disc in my lower back...

I had not played DooM since the good ole C= Amiga - days, and used freedoom and various source ports to play LOTS of different wads for about six months, untill i finally aquired the somewhat hard to come by original DooMsday Collection.

I seriously could not decide on ONE best custom wad, so i´ll name a few that got me hooked:

RTC-3057, ZenDynamics, Ni´mrod-IXNAY on the HOMBRE, Hell Revealed, The Darkest Hour and its prequel, Daedalus, AliensTC, Scimitar, Twilight Warrior, D3 weapons mod, KDiZD, Phocas 2, The Brotherhood of Ruin...and i could name forty more, but won´t.

Death-Destiny said:
Does he still map anymore?

As far as I know, he doesn't. He used to record demos, in addition. The last DOOM related thing I recall him doing was participate in the Prague LAN.

Heres a list some of my personal favorites.

AV
HR & HR2
scythe & scythe 2
MM2
cdoom64
kdizd

I also find Final Doom to be quite entertaining.