Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reinchard666

Dawn of Reality - GZDooM big city map

Reinchard666 said:

[Graffiti texture]

That graffiti, IMO, needs to be grunged a bit, especially around the edges. It looks way too much like a giant sticker instead of spraypainted street art.

So, can we expect any dynamic lights definitions for the backgrounds and streetlamps? Maybe some HDR effects? Sorry if some of my suggestions/requests/questions are impossible for doom, I haven't played in a while and I can't remember the limitations of the GL engine.

This looks terrific! What is the gameplay going to be like? Lots of puzzles? Survival horror-like mix of exploration and combat?

r_rr said:

Try implementing real ambiant sounds around the map. (Police sirens, Car Horns, ect.)

I disagree with that idea unless the sounds end up sounding very reverby and ethereal, as if they were occuring in a parallel universe that's juuuust outside this one.

Police sirens and car horns would be strange without any sign of the actual vehicles.

City-flavored ambient music might help the atmosphere, though, and other ambient noises would be great. Just not the sounds of things that are not going to be represented visually, of course...

Really interesting job...

Maybe the "spooky" effects that you used in trailers and made it look like "Resident Evil" ambiance is the best way to follow.

Don't know if kitchens and toilets are the best to give this frightening effect, maybe car garages, hangars, railroad station, alley with lone trees, and other industrial places were more indicated.

This could make a cool Doom 3 (or 4!) level...

What about using the JDoom monster models here?

If someone want can play it with models pack. Personally I don't like this models - they don't look like original Doom monsters. From other side - sprites looks little ugly with hi-res textures...

Personnaly, I prefer use original sprites without anti-aliasing, looks more "Doom styled" to see huge squares.

A note, I viewed 3 times your video trailer, something surprised me that makes look your work less realistic.
In one of the main alley, it seems that different blocks have exactly the same height and are aligned on the same line... that looks too perfect.

On some other blocks you're voluntary made different heights and alignment, that's really fine.
City must be using various heights and alignment for each block, that'd strongly increase the realistic aspect.

If require, I'll make screeshots.

Thanks, but this blocks in this place have the same heights. Doom engine have limits and if I want build house which was can enter to inside, mostly I must build this house with 1-sided linedefs or use many many 3d floors. I have few buildings with different heights and sloped roofs, and player can go inside and explore. But I must use to make this lots of 3d floors and lots of nerve ;)

Wasn't there a project of high res sprites for monsters ? Could be useful for you.

Reinchard666 said:

Thanks, but this blocks in this place have the same heights. Doom engine have limits and if I want build house which was can enter to inside, mostly I must build this house with 1-sided linedefs or use many many 3d floors. I have few buildings with different heights and sloped roofs, and player can go inside and explore. But I must use to make this lots of 3d floors and lots of nerve ;)

Don't touch architecture, simply add fake building fronts like in old Western movies cities :D

They are some street in your map where are various height buildings...

Awesome sky!

If you want, I could make a rain and lightning script.

I've done it before and I could provide a sample wad of what I've done with GZDoom so far if you like.

The visuals are looking impressive, but all these wide-open spaces are making me question the gamaplay. Forgive my skepticism, but you are planning out the gameplay, correct?

Scuba Steve said:

The city is very bland... there's very little "city" to it. Fire hydrants, parking meters, road lines, signs, advertisements, vehicles...

Another city aspect that just isn't captured well, in doom, is 'grime'. We need to see newspapers on the ground, spills, stains, garbage... the city looks too pristine. It's a good start for a city map, but it needs to be more detailed to be a realistic looking city.

That would be insane for a person to create...
Adding different "grime" would jack up the number of flats exponentially. It'd be really cool, but the time needed would be beyond anything.

There was some dude doing high resolution sprites of the Doom monsters. Maybe you can get in touch with him? I bet they would look great in this mod. I love the last shot, by the way. Epic screenshot there, man.

The latest screenshot reminds me of Half-Life 2 and STALKER.

I want to comment on the bathroom shot with the hanging bodies: it looks a little too clean. Have you considered adding some blood puddles and grime to that area? It would add an extra touch of realism to see blood pools underneath the bodies.

Otherwise, this is looking great. :)

If the specs posted in the ZDoom thread are any guide - I'll have to upgrade my PC to play this. Not that I'm complaining, my current setup's due for a major rebuild.