Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KennyJC

Try out beta version of new map

Things you'll need to know before playing:

This map is designed to run under GZDoom.

If you play on ultra violence, there may be a part you die over and over at, so play on hurt me plenty if you have problems with that. But please give thoughts on ultra violence too.

You can not yet exit the level, but you can reach a stage where you do indeed effectively finish the level... It's just that I haven't yet figured out how to make the exit accessible the way I want it to.

The sliding doors will texture bleed sometimes. I'm told that this is due to a bug in GZDoom since there was no texture bleeding when I was testing under Zdoom. But the person who told me this never played my level, so if you have any thoughts on that, please tell.

Please give info on ammo/health balance and monster placement since I just did all that stuff in the last 3 hours. I played through it several times and died several times, but also finished several times.

There are secrets in this map, it's just that I don't yet know how to set them to being secrets. In vanilla doom it was just a case of setting the sector to 'secret', but I didn't find anything like that in the 30 seconds it took me to check.

I've probably forgot some stuff, but basically just tell me anything that is bad about the level with the above stuff in mind.

Download

IN zdoom hexen, sector type for secret is 1024, nice map by the way

I really like what you've done with it since I saw it last. I'm a huge fan (and always have been) of the 'chunky' Q1 and Q2 architecture. Nice stuff!

The final boss... after I killed him... nothing happened. I think the floor behind him was supposed to lower but it never happened.

Scuba Steve said:

The final boss... after I killed him... nothing happened. I think the floor behind him was supposed to lower but it never happened.

Yeah, I've fixed that.

Map is all finished and ready to go, however I'm still waiting for comments on the gameplay balance... good/bad/so so?

Heya Kenny C

Played through the level.

In terms of gaming balance, I thought it was reasonably good. The thing that felt most out of place was having those wizards mixed in with regular doom monsters. It just felt kinda weird killing imps and pinky demons and cacos on a level where I felt more like running into a shambler. Was I playing doom? Was I playing Quake? Was I playing heretic/Hexen? I couldn't tell. It was like being in some wierd alternate universe where they were all together. And somehow it didn't feel satisfying.

The doom monsters looked out of scale, too small for their surroundings

That said, the level is really well designed and laid out. I liked the look of the level a lot. Very dark and foreboding.

Mostly the balance of ammo and health seemed reasonable, as long as I was careful and not silly enough to get hit by, well very much at all.

Good level, but confusing.

It's a good map that has good gameplay and good looks. I liked the whole Quake/Brown theme, but IMO, a nice skybox would be in order.

My main complaint was the Hexen/heretic bad guys thrown in there for no apparent reason. I think this would be better if they were either orginal Doom monsters or Doom looking monsters. The final boss could have been, say, the KDiZD bruiser

Well thanks, but I would have rather you posted a few days ago - map has been released already.