Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brandon D. Lade

Plutonia 2: How to reach Map 33?

In Plutonia 2, when using ZDoom, is there anyway to reach the hidden Map33 other then typing idclev33? And why does the levels's exit take you right back to the start of the level, thus forcing you to play it infinitely many times?

Simple answer - No. I was investigating this myself. They could make a zdoom specific version by altering the MAPINFO lump, but as it stands would upset ports that do not support map33/mapinfo. I tries putting in an secret exit linedef for map 32 and altering the MAPINFO. Works great in ports that fully support MAPINFO, but ports like prboom just go back to map 16.

As such level 33 has to be played as a bonus separate level only.

MAP33 was intended to be an easter egg level that can only be reached through cheating or using the command line (-warp 33). Believe it or not, it actually works in vanilla doom2.exe, as well, and not just in ZDoom, although it only seems to work in the Final Doom messed-up-teleporters version if you're using Windows 98. You can also reach the level the same way in PrBoom+ and Chocolate Doom.

I wasn't able to reach it in PrBoom+ using idclev. I suppose -warp would have worked; I didn't try it.

hawkwind said:
They could make a zdoom specific version by altering the MAPINFO lump,

Port-specific data is added to PL2 only to make it work as in vanilla when any port needs that, and not to add additional functionality. Maybe for next version we'll change it a bit so that it goes to the credit screen or something after the intermission, so the cycling won't confuse ZDoom users.

myk said:

Port-specific data is added to PL2 only to make it work as in vanilla when any port needs that, and not to add additional functionality. Maybe for next version we'll change it a bit so that it goes to the credit screen or something after the intermission, so the cycling won't confuse ZDoom users.

Currently the MAPINFO lump for pl2 has this ...

map MAP32 "Go 4 It"
titlepatch CWILV31
next MAP16
secretnext MAP16
sky1 SKY3 0
cluster 10
par 30
sucktime 1
music D_JP_NOB

map MAP33 "Chocolate"
titlepatch CWILV32
sky1 SKY3 0
par 120
sucktime 1
music D_JP_WAS

I was thinking this ...

map MAP32 "Go 4 It"
titlepatch CWILV31
next MAP16
secretnext MAP33
sky1 SKY3 0
cluster 10
par 30
sucktime 1
music D_JP_NOB

map MAP33 "Chocolate"
titlepatch CWILV32
next MAP16
sky1 SKY3 0
par 120
sucktime 1
music D_JP_WAS

And of course an exit linedef in map 32 stating to go to secret level i.e line types 198, 51 or 24.

hawkwind said:
I was thinking this ...

map MAP32 "Go 4 It"
titlepatch CWILV31
next MAP16
secretnext MAP33
sky1 SKY3 0
cluster 10
par 30
sucktime 1
music D_JP_NOB

map MAP33 "Chocolate"
titlepatch CWILV32
next MAP16
sky1 SKY3 0
par 120
sucktime 1
music D_JP_WAS

I know, and that's what I was arguing against, because 33 is meant to be a standalone to warp to, not something inserted in the level sequence. Rather, it will probably include these:

map MAP33 "Chocolate"
titlepatch CWILV32
next EndPic CREDIT
sky1 SKY3 0
cluster 11
sucktime 1
music D_JP_WAS

// PL2 seventh cluster (level 33)
clusterdef 11
flat FB
music D_JP_WAS

In the wiki I can't find a way to disable the text screen to make it go directly to the graphic*. Thus it'll probably just say "empty message" there. It's just meant to stop stuff there, anyway.

* I think that if exittext is not defined it should just skip the text screen.