Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Joshy

Speed of Doom - Megawad Project *FIXED RELEASED*

Intended Port: Boom-compatible ports (some maps will cause crashes on ports that has limits like Boom and WinMBF)
Number of maps: 32
Release Date: First public release 17/3/10 (file name sod.wad)
Final release 28/3/10 (file name sodfinal.wad)

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj2wmunujmj/SODfinal.zip
Idgames Link: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=16040

Mappers: Joshy and Darkwave0000
Credits: Gusta, Belial, stewboy, gggmork, Jimmy91, Mechadon and dew.

Speed of Doom is a 32 level megawad (made by two of us) that provides fast paced kills and thrills. The project was originally meant to be a 'semi-speedmapping' project, where we were limited to one week per map and focus mostly on smallish maps but as time went on, the maps consumed more time to create, and started to be more complex and started varying in sizes. In the end it took about one year to complete which isn't half bad. Overall, most maps are smallish and/or quick with mostly short and sweet gameplay, hence the title Speed of Doom. However there are some maps that are pretty big and sometimes can take a lot more time to finish. The time to finish a map varies from 0-10 minutes most of the time, wheras some can take as long as 10-20 minutes (very few though). Difficulty is not suited for the faint of hearts. While the megawad is divided into 3 episodes (easy/medium, medium/hard,hard), it is designed to be challenging in different ways, mostly following traits of classic megawads like Plutonia Experiment1/2, Hell Revealed1/2, Alien Vendetta, Kama Sutra and Scythe1/2. On Ultra-violent (skill 4) settings, most of the maps play like Scythe 2 on skill 4 with the exception of several maps (mainly the later maps) playing like Alien Vendetta on skill 4. Skill2/3 is recommended for most doomers. All levels are completable from pistol start. There are many varieties of themes as we wanted the megawad to have good diversity.

Thanks for your attention. :-)

Screenies of several maps below:

Map01: First Blood (Joshy)

Map02: Mysterious Cove (Darkwave0000)

Map04: Sedgemire (Darkwave0000)

Map05: Cliffside Siege (Joshy)

Map07: Simple Prison-yard (Joshy)

Well I did say it was 'casual speedmapping' :P.

Map01 was completed within a day, Map02 in several hours on and off which would have totaled to less than 24 hours. Map07 was made in two half a day. Plenty of time/breaks in between. Several hours in polishing the maps.

The intent of this was just to do it quicker with good quality maps, wheras other projects take years without timelimit. If this isn't casual speedmapping, then give a good ol' slap on my head and I'll change the title. ;)

Thanks Wilou. :)

Yo Joshy, i'm interesed in beta-testing this baby out. It's very interesing and i love HARD maps :D

Great! Thanks for your interest Alter, got your name written down! Hop aboard. :P

We have currently 6 maps completed. At the moment, 32in24 is making this project look like a turtle being raped by two snails but we'll pick up the pace soon!

Just pm me the finished ones if desired and I'll pm back input/whatever. For suggestions, if this is boom (which should mean complevel 9) I'd edit your prboom-plus.cfg line 'default_compatibility_level' to 9 (making sure doombuilder/whatever is linked to the same prboom-plus version) then test with prboom-plus. That way you'll iron out lots of potential errors that otherwise might happen if you test w/ zdoom etc.
Also for hard maps, often the later parts are easier after the monsters are dead. So imo its ok for later parts of the map to release huge numbers of monsters to refill all that now empty geography. Though strategies to keep it difficult vary depending on things like how linear the map is etc.
Also, it might be best to put the difficulty at the peak of what you yourself can beat without dying (though maybe in a huge number of attempts). That way you can test/play through the entire map yourself and you're obviously your own best tester.
iddqd runs can help test and sometimes typing tntem (boom) can make testing easier.

05 and 07 look particularly awesome. And although 2 maps a week isn't especially speedy, keeping that rate for 16 weeks is pretty impressive. Also for decent beta-testing I would recomment Belial ;p

Tango said:

Also for decent beta-testing I would recomment Belial ;p

Of course, but ggg's a good tester too. :)

Edit: sorry for misunderstanding, Tango

Thanks for the motivating comments.

I'm aware of gggmork as a tester. He helped a lot for my two Claustrophobia 1024 maps so it's great to have you part of the project gggmork!

I've retracted the 'speedmapping' statement because it isn't true speedmapping, we are aiming to do it quickly as possible though, 16 weeks is a good aim at the moment, but real-life/blocks may creep in unexpectedly, so can't tell how long it may take.

If Belial is interested in beta-testing, he's welcome. Can't have enough testers. :)

I said that not because I think otherwise of gggmork (didn't even read down far enough to see that he ways testing anyways) but because Belial's been the most valuable tester I've ever had. I honestly don't know where I'd be without him :[

I like how you implemented all of the architect and overall size of some areas. That sky really blends in with the Nukage based levels, I'd so wish to have the same concept of sky but black and purple, void style in a sence.

Thanks, I'd still want to help of course, but oddly I woke up in the middle of the night completely gasping for air (but fairly quickly started breathing normally again). Kinda startling but probably nothing, still I'll probably lay off doom for a couple weeks or more in case it was an anxiety attack caused by a dream about cyberdemons or something/jk instead of idiotically suffocating on my blanket (so no need to send the maps).

edit: I'll research that ajapted. It was kinda scary, I'll probably get exercise/eat right for awhile instead of sitting around atrophied playing doom as a precautionary measure.

gggmork said:

but oddly I woke up in the middle of the night completely gasping for air (but fairly quickly started breathing normally again).

Sounds like sleep-apnea (apnoea), where people stop breathing for seconds or minutes at a time while asleep.

I like the strong use of greens in the levels you've shown so far. That's not something you often see in Doom.

Snarboo said:

I like the strong use of greens in the levels you've shown so far. That's not something you often see in Doom.

FBase6 has a huge amount of green

Snarboo said:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=15519 Ivano: 1024

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=15516 Station Zero

are two wads that were in this weeks newstuff that are said to have a lot of green. Just in case you enjoy being further proven wrong.

Thanks for the comments and support people. :)
This project will definitely not be going down the drain. I always wanted to make a huge project, so I'm not going to let it die.

@boris: Funnily enough you had to mention that FBase wad as having lots of green, because that map encouraged me to use a lot of the zimmer textures which quite frankly I don't use usually. :)

@gggmork: It's fine mate, the beta-wad won't be ready for couple of weeks or months perhaps (Can't be certain) anyways I hope you'll be fine, and kill at least one cyberdemon in your dreams! 9, 10, go to sleep again! :P

And oh! I finished another map! Another in the works at the moment (remake of an old map of mine), and plenty of others planned ahead.

Joshy, i had a problem with beta you sent me, i wasn't able to launch it in prboom-plus because od R_InitTexture SKY1 not found error ;) so i was only able to play a bit of it on zdoom, more feedback later

Hmm Darkwave's got the texture thingy fixed. I'll resend the new beta (prboom playable) when we get 16 maps completed to you and other testers Gusta and gggmork. So just muck around using zdoom for the moment ;).

Thought I might post an update. :P

Map11, 15, 22 and 32 have been completed.

Here's the screenie of map32 'The Pyramid of Death':

I'm gonna have a break now, I'm suffering from mapping overdose...

If still interested feel free to pm me a link to map(s) when ready. Actually I think it would make more sense to publicly link to test version(s) to harness feedback from anyone willing, rather than conventionally funneling through a small handful of testers (unless you want the final maps to be a 'surprise' for everyone else later I guess).

Maybe the only way 'testing' makes sense to me is to find bugs/gameplay exploits. Other than that, you're the map designer, so I don't really see why my opinions should stifle or conflict with your own creativity.

Wow, nice screenshots Joshy! How did I miss this thread? Anyways, good luck to ya. I wouldn't mind helping test later on down the road ;)

Mechadon said:

Wow, nice screenshots Joshy! How did I miss this thread? Anyways, good luck to ya. I wouldn't mind helping test later on down the road ;)

Indeed, this is really looking great! I thought I had already commented on it, hm. I definitely like the style, in any case. Feels big and epic, and looks like the layouts should be interesting to play through. :D

Looks like this is coming along quite nicely. The maps look really cool. I especially like the look of map05. :)