Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CodenniumRed

N*E*C*R*O*S*I*S for HeXen!!!!

Yeah my release was a beta and now I'm having more levels, and still modifying the weapons and such as well. I fixed up most of them but there's still some things here and there I gotta work on....

Ok I'm trying to upload this thing to the archive and I get inside it using FileZilla (which works fine with other sites), but when I try to upload files, I get this error:

"421 Sorry, there is already 1 user from 96.246.237.226 logged on. Try again in 10 minutes."

How the hell do I get around this? lol....

FileZilla 3 has no option to tell it to use only one connection. Whenever you try to download or upload something, it initiates another connection to do it. You can try switching to FileZilla version 2, or some other FTP client that can actually do this.

I still manage to do this with FZ3 though. Just add the files to the queue, then disconnect from the current visible server. Then run the queue.

Bloodshedder said:

FileZilla 3 has no option to tell it to use only one connection. Whenever you try to download or upload something, it initiates another connection to do it.

There are options, to apply the change globally - reduce the maximum simultaneous transfers on the <Settings/Transfers> page, to do so on a per-site basis (assuming a site entry was created for the archive) use the Site Manager's <Transfer settings> tab. Works for me.

I'm afraid the download is not working for me.

EDIT: Forget it, finally got it to work, but it took a lot of tries.

/me downloads.
It'll be interesting to play this, not only because it's an Hexen WAD. But also because it can tell me a lot of what I can expect from the Doom3 Hexen TC.

I refuse to download from spyware sites. zShare is one of the worst of all, probably only beaten by RapidShare.

Can someone please upload this to /idgames where I can get it without the hassle that these godforsaken download service sites require?

Man, what can I say other than this is freakin' awesome. I got through the first map and deep into the second using the mage, and so far everything is looking great. The maps seem very well balanced and I haven't gotten stuck yet, so that is really impressive! This is really polished and professional, seems quite a bit better than the original Hexen, making it as awesome as it should be.

Third post's the charm... I guess. I just finished it on standard difficulty with the mage and I think it's a great wad. I only wish it was longer!

A couple things that I noticed: the tomes of power throughout most of the wad all trigger a trap with a tough battle. I thought this was a little gimmicky since I ended up just using the tome each time for the trap that it triggers. I felt like there should be a few other tomes scattered about that didn't trigger any traps. Also, at the end of map 08 with the two giant serpents, if you run back up the stairs through the door you came in, it shuts and locks you out. I ran to hide from the first giant serpent and got locked out, so I noclipped to finish it. I don't know if you would want to change that or not. Also, the Jade Wand weapon sprite doesn't touch the bottom of the screen when the screen is increased to full size.

Other than the few things I mentioned, everything seems well crafted and polished. Maybe some more maps for this will be made in the future, I feel like it could go on a lot longer.

Agreed, getting slowed down by ice attacks just leaves you open to more of a pounding, even more so because you can't run in water. Both together make the attack of the Giant Wendigo's very difficult to avoid.

But otherwise it seems like a good add-on from the first couple of maps*

But I don't think the Stalkers fitted well on the water graphics used on the first map.

The Cleric's bow also doesn't touch the bottom of the screen when using the full screen hud.

*For me, the mod freezes GZDoom (latest non-svn version) very often after a save game has been loaded meaning I can't really get much further.

kristus said:

Don't like the slowdown when you get hurt. Makes the game play like shit.

Yea I thought it was some kind of bug with the autorun command.

Granted I've only played the first two maps so far. But I've not really been swoon in by this mod yet. The maps are narrow corridors and crowded spaces with little movement possibilities. Game play is slow and one sided. None of the strengths of Hexen itself seem to be preserved.
But I'll keep playing and hope that it'll change.

BTW; what is up with the switch pillars that got switches on both sides? What is the purpose of this? I can't see what they do as I hit them anyway, so why not just make it one switch?

EDIT: Found a bug. First time I met the boss on Map02 he killed me cause I wasn't quite ready for his bloodscourge. But the second time his platform never raised so he was basically a sitting duck.

And also, if you could make the snow falling into the water NOT make splashes. That would be nice.

Gez said:

It is currently in /incoming.

It's already been moved into the levels/hexen/m-o/ folder! I'm downloading it right now through FlashFXP.
I'll give my feedback either tomorrow night or some time next week.

OK, I've already got the chance to play the first 2 maps on difficulty#3.
Here's my thoughts and impressions...

I was pleased by the Cleric's new weapon#1, because it could be used at long-range and it almost feels like the classic super-shotgun from DOOM II.

I was pleased by the Mage's upgraded weapon#1, because it didn't look or sound as wimpy as the original blue wand. It had a more powerful feeling to it.

I was pleased to see the Hellstaff imported from Heretic, renamed to a more creepier name, and given purple blasts instead of red blasts.
(It has always been my favourite Heretic weapon. And with those new purple blasts it just seems even more appealing than it ever did before.)

I was pleased by the new goat-resembling Satyr monsters.
For some reason Hexen has always been quite lacking in goat-resembling monsters (asides from the Skull Wizard of Hexen II), and it always caused me to wonder why.

Now, here's the things that I didn't like...

The dense fog on the first map was very annoying. I was forced to open the GZDOOM menu and disable the fog rendering.

The Mage only has 80 hitpoints. :( I would've preferred it more if the Cleric was the weakest of the bunch.

Well, anyways, that's all I can say...
The positives clearly outnumber the negatives. So I congratulate you on releasing an awesome WAD!

DarkJedi188 said:

The Mage only has 80 hitpoints. :( I would've preferred it more if the Cleric was the weakest of the bunch.

I edit it back to 100. I also get rid of the runhealth property. Much more enjoyable after that.

This is semi-spoilers for my /newstuff review but .. intial impressions: All 3 classes have been nerfed and weakened so much that they are unfun to play. It's painful to try and play with these utterly gimped classes. Maps are way too cramped and it's easy to get cornered.

Maybe it's just my fetish with power-tripping Heretic/Hexen maps like my own HoC and RoC. Any second opinions?

Well. As a levelset, this wad is ok. Some nice construction here and there. But it has nothing that makes HeXen great imo. No awesome outdoor areas or any atmosphere. Gameplay is rather frustrating too.

Upto map06 now. Map05 I really don't like as it utilises ripped Might and Magic 8 sprites for it's boss, so meh for that.

...play under a lesser skill, until the author uploads an update? General advice, as I haven't downloaded and played this yet, due to time.

udderdude said:

Maybe it's just my fetish with power-tripping Heretic/Hexen maps like my own HoC and RoC. Any second opinions?

I have to agree with that. Power-tripping is what I truly love about Heretic and Hexen.

udderdude said:

This is semi-spoilers for my /newstuff review but .. intial impressions: All 3 classes have been nerfed and weakened so much that they are unfun to play. It's painful to try and play with these utterly gimped classes. Maps are way too cramped and it's easy to get cornered.

On the contrary, I'd say that they've been buffed - fighter gets 2 extra ranged weapons and the cleric gets a somewhat OP first weapon. In fact I turned -fast on after a few kills because it wasn't challenging enough...then came the death knights in enclosed spaces with no cover.

Still I enjoyed the first play (went with cleric due to the longbow being very similar to the clerics 6th weapon in my mod...was interesting and fun to use it in action) and despite the gameplay flaws and annoying savegame corruptions/crashes it's still a good mod. The fog in every sector was an interesting touch too, and it works.

Khorus said:

No awesome outdoor areas or any atmosphere.

The snowy courtyards on map#02 gave me enough atmosphere. I was almost reminded of playing Return To Castle Wolfenstein... Just in a different engine and with a fantasy setting. ;)

Anyways, I've entered map#03 already. And the very first scimitar that attacked me out of thin air really gave me some goosebumps.
I'm definitely going to remember my first experiences with this WAD. :)

The Ultimate DooMer said:

On the contrary, I'd say that they've been buffed - fighter gets 2 extra ranged weapons and the cleric gets a somewhat OP first weapon.

And the mage gets wimpy hit points that are barely above runhealth.