Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
IRod54

My megawad project "Journey To Hell"

I fairly certain some of those wads don't permit the stealing of their music.

It's OK to borrow music from other wads, you just have to make sure you give credit to the authors of the wads I just mentioned in the text file, otherwise, then it'd be considered stealing.

Well, I don't know too much on the subject, but this is what I'd do.

Check each wad's .txt to see if they give permission to use their resources
    Try to get in touch with the creator(s) of the wads in question and see if it's ok
    See if any of the other midi composers here can help you with the kind of music you want
In the end it's your choice, though. You could just risk it and put the wad up as is, we're just trying to warn you about what could happen. I haven't been here long, but I've heard about good wads that got a bad name for stealing resources.

OK, I have taken the MM2 and Eternal music out. Is it OK to use music from Plutonia 2?

I'm thinking about making the start of map 9 similar to map 9 of HR2, but I'm too afraid to do it in fear of making the player mad
about beginning the level with a bunch of monsters coming right at him. Is this acceptable?

Hey IRod54, I have one question: Will at least one of your later maps be in the vein of your favorite maps such as Demonic Hordes? I'm just asking as I personally liked that level, too.

Your bold use of colours could so easily look awful but you manage to pull it off admiarably with the architecture you are using, makes me wish I was more adventurous than using grey when I am feeling particuarly crazy instead of the usual brown.

On a side note, i urge you to check through the .txt accompnaying any wad you want to rip resources from, and check thoroughly that they do not prohibit you from doing this. It would be awful if a project that looks this good was removed for something so trivial.

PhilibusMo said:

Your bold use of colours could so easily look awful but you manage to pull it off admiarably with the architecture you are using, makes me wish I was more adventurous than using grey when I am feeling particuarly crazy instead of the usual brown.

My thoughts exactly.

That's definitely the whole idea with this project. Offer a new Doom experience unlike anything else out there but stick to a certain theme and keep the gameplay aspect intact. And to gun_psycho, yes, definity expect a map in the vein of Demonic Hordes in this wad.

IRod54 said:

I promise not to include music from wads that don't prohibit it.

I promise not to correct grammar in posts that don't have no mistakes.

OK, I have found midis of PL2 and other music that I want to use in my wad that are not directly from the wad itself.

IRod54 said:
It's OK to borrow music from other wads, you just have to make sure you give credit to the authors of the wads I just mentioned in the text file, otherwise, then it'd be considered stealing.

Merely giving credit isn't satisfactory because some people don't want their stuff used elsewhere, no matter what. As noted by DuckReconMajor, look in the text files and see if there's permission to use the music. If the text file says nothing, or says no (such as PL2), ask the musicians directly for permission. Jimmy91, for one, posts here, so he should be easy to contact, if he hasn't made a general statement on the use of his MIDIs already.

We were talking about MIDIs, since PL2 only has MIDIs in it as music.

MIDIs don't compose themselves, in any case. Someone made them, and unless they've explicitly been shared to be used anywhere publicly, the same principles apply. If the MIDIs are made by people in the community it is strongly advised to consult with them about their use, as the authors may complain to the WADs archives and have your WAD taken down. If you take MIDIs from elsewhere (some game or whatever) without permission, it is less likely someone will complain, although you're still "stealing" and a complaint is not impossible.

The best choices are to compose one's MIDIs, to use some obtained with explicit permission, or to have a musician make MIDIs for the WAD (MIDI composers offering to make music for WADs are not uncommon). These choices are more community-oriented and creative than just taking a MIDI from some other source (usually a website or game).

Besides, the point is also that if you like some of the music in PL2, you might be able to use it without issue, if you ask whoever made it or find a comment giving permission.

Maybe I should just stick to the original music then. I really don't want to get into any trouble with anybody. I've only been mapping for 4 and 1/2 months now.

That's a choice too, although I don't see what's the problem in asking the musicians if they'll share theirs. PL2, for example, managed to get a good amount of new music because the designers went out and asked and encouraged musicians to contribute MIDIs for the project.

And probably the better choice. Does a megawad necessiarly need to have new music, anyway?

As you've probably seen with other posters' responses, people are hyped about your project. You've also given sufficient information as to what the mood will be, and what kind of music you would like in it. I don't see you having much trouble getting some people on board. I understand you're upset (your first time finding out how this copyright stuff works can be downright depressing), but you've got too much going for this wad to give up. I guess it would be okay to use the original Doom 2 tracks, but you've already expressed interest to include custom music, so I doubt you really want to do that.

I'm not giving up on the project, not at all. I'm just scared of what COULD happen if I used custom music without the permission of the original authors.