IRod54

My megawad project "Journey To Hell"

Stats on map 23 as of 4:16 ET, 3/19/09:

Vertices: 1574
Linedefs: 1864
Sidedefs: 2907
Sectors: 340
Things: 358

I'm pretty sure the one map with the most monsters will have close to 2000 monsters. Am I right? (That's considering I played through your Hellopolis map)

Ok, I tested out the demo maps, and from what I can tell, from map 3 on, the monster count started really picking up. (especially in map 6, where the monster count was in the 1000s)

If pure slaughter isn't the describing term for the rest of that megawad of yours, then I don't know what is. (I'm indeed a fan of such slaughter maps.)

Just tried out the first 2 levels.

Map01 was short and sweet, and the secret really helped me out in Map02.

Map02 was an unexpected jump in difficulty though. Not that I'm complaining it was to hard, I enjoyed it like that. But for Map01 to be so easy, then to go straight into this was a bit weird.

Also, I experienced a bug in Map02. At the bit in the big hall after you get the Plasma Rifle, I killed all the enemies, collected the ammo and flipped the switch. A bunch of demons then appeared and proceeded to rape my brains out. Fair enough really. But the second time I did this bit, the enemies didn't appear when I flipped the switch. I tried reloading to just before I flipped the switch, but again, nothing happened. The fact it worked once before suggests maybe the monsters hadn't woken up or whatever, or maybe there's a problem at my end. But I thought I should point it out anyway.

Anyways, I'm gonna continue with the other 4 maps, and I'll report back when I'm done. ^_____^

Ok, here's what I thought about the six maps in case I wasn't detailed enough.

Map01 was short and sweet as Reevys said.

Map02 was only slightly harder in my opinion, as I was pretty much expecting the monsters to drop in on me.

Map03 for me was where the difficulty jumped. I ran into the first cyberdemon pretty shortly after I got past the first archvile. I only found two of the secrets, though. (I couldn't find the third one)

Map04 was a great take on HR2's "The Siege II" map. (I'm glad that invulnerability sphere was there, or else that map would've been impossible to beat... even with the megaspheres.

Map05 was actually a step down in difficulty... though it's certainly harder than Hell Revealed's map01.

Map06, as I said before, was a flying leap in the monster count department. (1028 monsters? Wow, you weren't kidding) Need I not mention that it made Alien Vendetta's "Suicidal Tendencies map look like a cakewalk?

IRod54 said:

Huh? That part works just fine.

Like I said, it was probably just a problem on my end. I wouldn't worry about it.

EDIT - OK, been trying Map03 for ages now, and it's ridiculously hard. The sheer lack of ammo and the mass amounts of enemies makes it a real pain in the ass.

Also, I noticed a HOM here, so you might wanna get that fixed.

That can't be an HOM. I checked that map for errors and none showed up. Anyways, I can probably remove some of the monsters on that map or just add more ammo.

IRod54 said:

That can't be an HOM. I checked that map for errors and none showed up. Anyways, I can probably remove some of the monsters on that map or just add more ammo.

You probably can't see it in the picture because it's so dark, but it's there, trust me.

And you're fine, it's my fault really. I'm just not used to slaughter maps, I don't think. I can't really complain though, I am playing on UV after all.

Must be something with Legacy at that part. That part is fine in ZDoom and Eternity. I guarentee that there are NO HOM's in this map.

The trouble is not all ports handle textures the same way - I also encountered a HOM at that point with Legacy and prBoom+. A texture change on the front side of linedef 218 from ASHWALL2 to METAL (which is what I assume you meant to use there) fixed the problem.

GreyGhost said:

The trouble is not all ports handle textures the same way - I also encountered a HOM at that point with Legacy and prBoom+. A texture change on the front side of linedef 218 from ASHWALL2 to METAL (which is what I assume you meant to use there) fixed the problem.

If ASHWALL2 is causing it to HOM, it sounds like he might have accidentally somehow removed AASHITTY from the top of the TEXTURE1 list, thus causing ASHWALL2 to be the index-0 null texture. It's happened to me at least once, though I forget how exactly.

I have one last question concerning your megawad.

1. Will there at least be one level that's in the vein of any of the Kama Sutra maps? (Maps 27, 28, and 31 stick out in my head, and map27 is like a golf course kind of map)

Wow. That might be a little more tough for me. The architecture in that wad is a little more complex whereas in AV it's a little more simplistic. Plus, those maps you mentioned have 3D effects, which I don't know how to do yet.

OK, I just used God-mode to finish Map03, and it turns out the bit I died at (with the Arch-Viles) was actually the end of the level. So it wasn't as bad as I thought, as I was expecting loads more enemies to be up ahead.

Map04 seemed impossible, but I got there (with the aid of the invincibility sphere of course).

Map05 was great though, not to hard, but enough surprises to keep me on my toes. One thing I think I should point out is the switch you have to shoot about halfway through the level. Because I don't use mouse look, I had no way of actually activating the damn thing, even if I jump. In the end, I just noclipped my way up the wall and shot it head on. But I thought I should bring it up, even if you just make a note in the text file saying that mouse look is recommended.

Map06 I didn't play, as I was just to damn tired last night. But what you've done so far has been great, so keep up the good work. ^_____^

You're going to like what i'm cooking up for map 29. It's going to have a "Hell's Cauldron" feel to it.

And I'm sure Map30 will be the hardest final level ever. Am I right? (AV's Map30 was a bit of a breather level compared to HR's Map30... which is saying something)

Ok. I have played through the first 3 levels now. And I gotta say, in terms of gameplay, these were a lot of fun. If I have one criticism, the levels so far have felt like a biit of a mixture of random (although generally pretty good looking) areas, rather than having one consistent theme threaded through each level.

But its not a big complaint, the levels play pretty well, and they do have very much their own style. I will be looking forward to this.

One thing I did notice. in this room here, (on level 3) I managed not to trigger the monsters (with the arch vile) that teleport into this room. I had lured all the monsters that were already in the room out into the corridor and killed them in the corridor rather than the room itself. (Unintentionally, is just how I was playing) and then I found that when I hit the switch, the monsters didn't teleport in. Then when i fired a single shot in that room, then they teleported. Probably need to fix it so that the monsters are awake earlier, and when you lower the switch to the teleporter in that room, then they trigger, not relying on you to fire a shot, otherwise is too easy to bypass.

Kyka said:

One thing I did notice. in this room here, I managed not to trigger the monsters (with the arch vile) that teleport into this room. I had lured all the monsters that were already in the room out into the corridor and killed them in the corridor rather than the room itself. (Unintentionally, is just how I was playing) and then I found that when I hit the switch, the monsters didn't teleport in. Then when i fired a single shot in that room, then they teleported. Probably need to fix it so that the monsters are awake earlier, and when you lower the switch to the teleporter in that room, then they trigger, not relying on you to fire a shot, otherwise is too easy to bypass.

I didn't awaken those enemies either. I shot most of the enemies from the corridor, and let 2 Imps corner and kill the Cyberdemon. Then I shot them from the doorway and carried on.

I am starting to see why people hate imageshack.

IRod54.

The url's for your pics. If you click on the pics themselves in the url's you have posted, you are taken to another url like this which loads much quicker for people checking the screenies, coz it doesn't have all that advertising and crap...

That said, the screenies look good. I really think this mapset is going to be a real romp... Nice work. And as others have mentioned, you do seem to map very fast.