Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Banana

Any heavy metal music mods?

Are there any music mods for the old doom games? Particularly ones that play heavy metal?

Once I built a Heretic map with a black metal soundtrack and textures with pictures of some bands... But no, I dont no any for Doom, but just because I dont know this game so good ;)

Bashe said:

There's some in the idgames archive. Check out this one.

Yay, promotion of one of my uploads!

Also OP, look for "Rock it!" on the archives. It should suit your tastes as well.

Mr. Chris said:

With the -file parameter?

IE doom -file music.wad

You mean make a shortcut of the doom executable on my desktop, and right click, click properties and put in -file <WAD name>.wad at the end of 'Target'?

Banana said:

You mean make a shortcut of the doom executable on my desktop, and right click, click properties and put in -file <WAD name>.wad at the end of 'Target'?

Yes, like that.

As for MIDI heavy metal tracks, esp. the ones from HR2: they're okay, but the original HM tracks are much better (if only there were no vocals...). Too much of the riff is lost when rewritten in MIDI format. The MIDI guitar is too weak, so the resulting songs are inferior to non-heavy counterparts made specially for MIDI that use all sorts of instruments not just the 2: 'overdriven' guitar and drums. The voice component is seldom well translated into MIDI, too, if ever done so. Often if it comes it comes as choir aahs or voice oohs, which are quite different to their screaming original vocals.

Jodwin said:

As for the original question, I use this for Oblige maps.

Nice choice there and nice to see another Oblige user. Personally, I use a combination of the Doom64 Absolution TC and PSX Doom's MP3s from Elbryan's music page. (not the MP3s of Doom64 there but in the d64mus.wad Kaiser has on the Absolution page)

I personally like to use Elbyran42's music wads of PSX/D64 for when I play Doom. But Requiem had a pretty good metal soundtrack, I kept IDMUS'ing MAP01 often though cause it was quite catchy. I even taught it to myself on guitar. :D