Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Community map! Join here!

We have all seen community WADS where many different authors create the own maps and submit into a WAD. But what about creating just a singe map that everybody get's to work on? I mean let's say one person creates a decent section of a map and then saves the map and sends it to the next person who then adds more and more stuff before saving the map before sending it to the next person and so on and so fourth.

By doing this we could create like a huge map that everybody could take credit for. Not to mention that since each person has there own mapping style and sections of the map would probably look very different from one another.

I have already started on the map, and Sniper (he is not here, he was banned) is probably going to join me on this.

Here is a screenshot of what i have made so far:

For those who want to join me and sniper here are the rules:

1. Tell me you want to join by posting here on this thread or by sending me a PM.

2. The map is in Doom 2 boom format.

3. We will use a texture wad called recolor something. I can send the texture WAD to those who join or a download link

4. I will make a list too show who get's the map next.

5. Once it is your turn to add areas to the map you can't just suddenly throw million of demons at the player, high difficulty is ok but not if it is something about as hard as Hell revealed or WADS of that sort.

6. You can use any theme you want.

7. You can't edit or change areas created by others then your self.

8.When the map is done we "might" want to ask for some mappers with a good eye for eye candy to detail out the areas of the map even more thus making the map even better.

Hardcore_gamer.
Sniper.
Fisk.
Spertz.
StupidBunny

Hardcore_gamer
Spertz

ok, soon i will be finished with a good section of the map, i will send Fisk the map in a while, sniper will then take it. Unless somebody else offers to add things to the map in case Fisk can't do so right away.

You could have edited the first post instead of double posting. :P

Well, this looks to be off to a great start with a formerly-banned member, a banned member, and a ban evader all contributing to it

esselfortium said:

Well, this looks to be off to a great start with a formerly-banned member, a banned member, and a ban evader all contributing to it

I am not exactly sure what you are trying too say here, but unless it's something related to this project i don't want too hear it.

Spertz said:

Sound's like fun, I'd like to join?

Sure! You are added to the list, also i just decided to add one more rule, read the rules that are found at the top again.

esselfortium said:

Does it matter? as long as they contribute something to the community I can't realy be bothered about their past actions. Ok they did some stupid things, lets all hope they learned from it.

Good luck with the project, which isn't my cup of beer I'm affraid.

I would sign on (I love this sort of thing) but unfortunately I've learned my lesson about thinking I have time to contribute to community projects when I don't. Best of luck to all those that do!

Ok, i have finished the starting area, now either fisk or Spertz will continue where i left off since Sniper can't be reached right now. Spertz plz respond to me here and i will send you a download link for the wad. Unless i can reach Fisk first that is. It's just a matter of who speaks to me first.

StupidBunny said:

I would sign on (I love this sort of thing) but unfortunately I've learned my lesson about thinking I have time to contribute to community projects when I don't. Best of luck to all those that do!

We have all the time in the world, plus each mapper does not have to make a whole map, even if you were only to add a handful of cool rooms then that would be perfectly fine. Any kind of contribution, to this project, big or small will be accepted,

esselfortium said:

Especially so now that you just pointed that out.

Ok, i just sent Spertz the WAD. After he is done i will take it back and send it to another mapper. Probably Sniper or Fisk or somebody else that joins the project in the meantime.

Butts said:

No offense, but I can guarantee this will not be finished.

Well, the interesting thing about something like this is that it doesn't matter how many people sign on or how much they do. Obviously, more people would be better (to an extent...too many people and the map becomes unwieldy) but it's not like trying to fill a 32-map megawad or whatever. At some point, somebody can just go "fuck it" and get permission to finish the level in their section.

And now that I think about it...I guess I would be willing to do a bit. I'll do as much as I can, and if I find that I'm simply not having the time to do any more work I can send it on to the next person or whatever.

Go ahead and add me to the list. :)

StupidBunny said:

Well, the interesting thing about something like this is that it doesn't matter how many people sign on or how much they do. Obviously, more people would be better (to an extent...too many people and the map becomes unwieldy) but it's not like trying to fill a 32-map megawad or whatever. At some point, somebody can just go "fuck it" and get permission to finish the level in their section.

And now that I think about it...I guess I would be willing to do a bit. I'll do as much as I can, and if I find that I'm simply not having the time to do any more work I can send it on to the next person or whatever.

Go ahead and add me to the list. :)

Done! Your on the list! :) And yes you are correct in what you said. Unlike most community maps where you HAVE to finish your map, you can stop anytime you want to in this project. Just add the areas you want to add and then send the WAD to the next person! Or well actually your suppose to send the WAD back to me and then i will send the WAD to the next person but you get the idea! :)

the iron hitman said:

Any more screenies?

Spertz is working on the WAD right now, i will add more screens once i get it back from him.

Imp said:

The screenshot you took is HORRIBLE. Why not take a screenshot of the whole 2D map instead?

By the time i took it i had just barely started. I will add more screens once i get the WAD back from Spertz.

Take a screenshot of the whole 2dmap? And spoil the whole map for everybody by showing where all of the areas are? No way.

I suggest taking screenshots in the game, rather than in Doom Builder 3D mode. Levels almost always look really ugly in 3D mode, especially when there's sky in view.

StupidBunny said:

I suggest taking screenshots in the game, rather than in Doom Builder 3D mode. Levels almost always look really ugly in 3D mode, especially when there's sky in view.

I will do so next time, thanks.

Captain Toenail said:

I really like the idea of a community chainmap, I would join in but I'm way too busy right now, will this still be on the go in about a months time?

I don't know, possibly. And to be honest i intend to keep this project alive as long as there are people willing to add more areas to the maps. So yea there are good chances that this will still be alive in a month or so.

Guest DILDOMASTER666
esselfortium said:

Yes I'm quite clever aren't I

Because Spertz has not contacted me for almost a full week and has not reply'd to any of my PM despite claiming that he would do so when i sent him the WAD i will just have to assume that he has either abandoned the project or is too lazy to bother with it.

Therefore i will sent the WAD to either Fisk, Sniper or Stupidbuny for them to work on. Who wishes to go first? :)

EDIT: If Spertz just so happen to read this......tough luck pal! You should honor the deadlines you give your self or at the very least let me know if you need more time instead of just vanishing like the way you did.

I'd be cool with working on the map some...I'll probably be a little slow with it, since these have been a busy few weeks for me. But I'll be sure to respond to PMs and all that...

StupidBunny said:

I'd be cool with working on the map some...I'll probably be a little slow with it, since these have been a busy few weeks for me. But I'll be sure to respond to PMs and all that...

Good :) I will send you the WAD via PM!

Wouldn't this turn out to be quite confusing at parts? I'm sure there'll be critical changes to certain parts that the next editor wouldn't even know about, having the key sequence right and gameplay would turn out be a brain buster IMO. Although a list of edits could null most of this.