Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Yes, many times. As far as I know, they've all either failed miserably (i.e. my own "Doom: Revisited" project that I tried to do about 8 years ago, when I was young and foolish) or turned into something completely different (i.e. "Tei Tenga"). I think it's because essentially no one really wants to just follow a strict set of written instructions for the creation of a mod, particularly for one that'd take so much time and effort.

A game could be strictly based on the Doom Bible, but there are a lot of gaps to be filled anyways, since the Doom Bible is very incomplete either. Therefore several independent attempts would sure end up quite differently.

I can't remember ever seeing marines actually playing cards. I mean, not just standing at a table with cards not doing anything like in the alpha, but really actually playing.

Reaper978 said:

What inspired Tom Hall to write it in the first place?

All video games, movies, TV series, comics, and about whatever other works of fiction made collaboratively have a "bible" which serves as a reference to maintain internal consistency between the various co-authors' contributions.

Tom Hall wrote the Doom Bible to organize the elements that were to define the game: "like Aliens but with demons instead", "first person shooter like Wolfenstein but better", "several episodes" and so on.

The plot was changed to take part on Mars' moons rather than on some fully-fictional planet, and they got rid of the demons speaking English (a good idea IMO). But the real changes were in game design: realistic elements were scrapped, the choice of character classes was removed, puzzles and other RPG-like elements were expurgated, to obtain a simpler, more abstract and more gamelike environment.

This was not a first for Id: Wolfenstein 3D was originally supposed to be more faithful to Silar Warner's Castle Wolfenstein, which was much more like a stealth/action game than like a shoot-em up. The possibility of threatening enemies, disguising yourself with their uniforms, and dragging the bodies to prevent the alarm from being ringed, all that was removed because it "complicated gameplay too much" but it was originally planned.

All things considered, Doom remained quite faithful to its bible.

Oh, and do you want to know what happens when Id Software works without a bible? You get Quake.

Gez said:

Oh, and do you want to know what happens when Id Software works without a bible? You get Quake.

They had plans for it nevertheless. There is a Quake FAQ somewhere. Quite some interesting statements were made, stuff that was never done.

LogicDeLuxe said:

They had plans for it nevertheless.

Yeah, but that was the problem. They had several plans for it, not just one plan. If you asked two different employees about what Quake would be, you would get two different answers. "You fight against marines and cyborgs!" "It's all about Lovecraft!" "You use a big-ass hammer!" At the end they got elements so disparate in style that they had to say "screw it, this is Doom with polygons" to give it some sort of consistency.

I've always read the "Tei Tenga" texts on some computer textures as "TCI TENOR". Too bad it's just Tei Tenga... Also what the hell is that gem-shaped map we see on every COMPSTA of a certain number?

A Doom Bible Wad can be made for ZDoom or Eternity, and we can dub it just this: Doom Again. Basically it's the exact same storyline, but with ZDoom/Eternity elements added: player classes, civilized NPCs, hubs, polyobjects, new monsters, new guns, puzzle items, (linked) portals, 3dmidtexes, friendly monsters. The same motivation as with KDiZD, really [this reminds me: KDiZD didn't use ALL ZDoom features, as it for example had no hubs. It could have been one big-ass Episode-1 hub... Booyaa, idea for TSoZD].

Gez said:

and they got rid of the demons speaking English (a good idea IMO)

Oooh, so that's why my thread about monster sight sound speeches ("Imagined monster sight sounds" or something) was quickly dubbed as retarded and subsequently helled!

Yeah looking at the bible in depth, there are a lot of elemtns from the bible in Doom 3. What about Doom 4?

spaztacus said:

Yeah looking at the bible in depth, there are a lot of elemtns from the bible in Doom 3. What about Doom 4?

The "dead hand biometric bypass" scene in the E3 2015 Panel certainly comes to mind.

Ultimate Freedoomer said:

The "dead hand biometric bypass" scene in the E3 2015 Panel certainly comes to mind.

...I hope you do realize that post was written six years ago before anyone even heard about Doom 4