Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
David_Dweedle

Any Major differences for mapping for Heretic?

No.

The differences can be found here. It's the translation file ZDoom uses to read Heretic maps.

Gez said:

No.

The differences can be found here. It's the translation file ZDoom uses to read Heretic maps.

eeek lol I dont know what any of that means! :P Guess i'll figure it out the hard way lmao.. by play testing heaps of trigger combinations to see what happens.. thats how I learnt how to do some stuff on Ultimate Doom.

It is not really that different from doom specials except a few things like the wind special, etc...

7 = USE, Stairs_BuildUpDoom (tag, F_SLOW, 8)
  8 = WALK, Stairs_BuildUpDoom (tag, F_SLOW, 8)
 10 = WALK, Plat_DownWaitUpStayLip (tag, P_FAST, PLATWAIT, 0)
 88 = WALK|REP, Plat_DownWaitUpStayLip (tag, P_FAST, PLATWAIT, 0)
 99 = 0, Scroll_Texture_Right (SCROLL_UNIT)
100 = WALK|REP, Door_Raise (tag, D_SLOW*3, VDOORWAIT)
105 = WALK, Exit_Secret (0)
106 = WALK, Stairs_BuildUpDoom (tag, F_SLOW, 16)
107 = USE, Stairs_BuildUpDoom (tag, F_SLOW, 16)
The line specials 7, 8, 10, 88, 99, 100, 105, 106 and 107 are different. How different they are, that depends. For example, 7 builds stairs in both Doom and Heretic, the difference is the speed at which they're built. Basically, a 7-stair in Heretic is four times faster than a 7-stair in Doom.

The rest of the file is for sector effects. Light Flicker, Secret, Damage Lava, etc. They're mostly the same as in Doom, but there are new effects available. The Carry_* sector effects are like conveyor belts (though typically they represent current instead), and the Wind_* effects are the same thing except they also affect flying things.

Also ambient sounds, scrollers, wind, low friction, and of course a whole new assortment of items and monsters. (Edit: AND GASBAGS.)

Heretic is quite much like Doom. There may be fewer linedef choices, but not noticeably. Otherwise, it has more stuff than Doom: slippery floors, flowing water that pushes you, winds, pushable objects (gasbags), more static hazards (volcanos), better episode bosses, more monsters than Doom 1, more levels than any Doom, ambient sounds, and collectable items (including one which lets you fly, another that teleports you back 'home', thus adding extra degrees of freedom).

I guess the only way to turn yourself into a chicken in Heretic is to hit a voodoo doll. Does Hexen allow self-morphing by hitting shielded centaurs?

printz said:

I guess the only way to turn yourself into a chicken in Heretic is to hit a voodoo doll. Does Hexen allow self-morphing by hitting shielded centaurs?

Or with the cheat "cockadoodledoo" :p

But then HeXen has a similar cheat to turn the player into a pig.

printz said:

Does Hexen allow self-morphing by hitting shielded centaurs?

as far as I can recall, yes.

Only problem with heretic is it doesn't really have that many textures and flying enemies.

Doom1: 2
Doom2: 3
Heretic: 3
HeXen: 3

Doesn't seem that unbalanced in flying enemies to me.

Unfortunately, Strife only has one and a half regular fliers. Many of the bosses can fly, but often their behaviour is hard-scripted.

But Strife didn't have much of a zoo anyway. It was mostly about getting yourself killed by your own HE grenades and receiving hitscan damage with no time to duck.

Torn said:

Only problem with heretic is it doesn't really have that many textures and flying enemies.

2 versions of Gargoyles and The Disciples of D'sparil. That's as many as Doom1 has got. The enemies are more varied and inventive than the Doom1 enemies too.

Weren't you working on Phobos Terror? Talk about multi-tasking.

IIrc, Heretic is branched from Doom v1.2, which had fewer line actions than v1.666. For a list of common line actions, you might take a look at some really old version of DEU or a similar map editor without Doom II support.

David_Dweedle said:

Imma make a small test map for Heretic and see what triggers I can make.. I might get into Heretic mapping..

I still am working on Phobos Terror lol.

it gets incredibly Boring tho working on the same map for awhile.. so testing Heretic triggers breaks the Monotony.. for me it does anyway.

LogicDeLuxe said:

take a look at some really old version of DEU

Hey, you can take a look at DOOM BUILDER Doom Configuration!