Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erik

Scythe2 - final version released.

Should the 29 old maps in Scythe 2 be updated?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Should the 29 old maps in Scythe 2 be updated?

• Yeah!
    • No!
    • I don`t care about Scythe 2

Just finished map28, I like it. Loose, lots of space unlike most slaughtermaps that corners you like a cat. The afrit hordes were bitches though, they make my screen look like july fourth. Took a peek at 29 before I called it a day, looking to play the rest of the maps this weekend. I'm gonna run it through coop once I'm done with SP. Congratulations on finishing one of the best-one man megawad ever.

The last 3 maps were very nice indeed in particular Map29. Map30 was interesting I must admit and the encounter with John Romero at the end really surprised me.

pcorf said:

The last 3 maps were very nice indeed in particular Map29. Map30 was interesting I must admit and the encounter with John Romero at the end really surprised me.

NOOOOOOOOOO!! You ruined the surprise...

Finished playing these maps the other night. A very damn solid finish, to what must have been one of my very faviroute wads.

Although I must ask, have I got better at Doom since I originally played Sycthe2, or were these maps a bit easier than some of the maps that came before them?

Awesome maps, especially liked 30's epic feeling. I found a speedrunning shortcut in map29, but I'm not too great at lasting long enough and picking up enough stuff to make it =/

I was going to say the music in Map28 sounded oddly familiar, but then I realized that I'd be admitting to the fact that I used to listen to Nightwish.

Wait. Shit.

Fantastic, Erik! I liked Map30 a lot in particular. It's been a while since I played most of Scythe 2, so one of those rooms managed to bring a single manly tear to the corner of my eye.

P.S. Afrits are bad people.

Like Map30 of the original Scythe, Map30 of this megawad certainly met my expectations of an epic final level, albiet with a twist of revisiting parts of earlier levels. (Even though those two new enemies certainly make most of the other regular enemies look wimpy, moreso the afrit)

I was very happy to see that Scythe 2 has been completed! I personally consider it the best megawad released so far.

I really like the 3 new maps. While they're not as large and detailed as some other maps like map23 - 27, I think they're still very good maps with Erik Alm's "patented magical feel" :P all over them.

Maybe map27 would be better suited than the existing map29 as final normal map, but I don't see why the final level necessarily must be the best, or the biggest for that matter.

In my opinion, Erik Alm's sense for detail, design, funfactor and the pure "magical" feel is what makes this megawad the best ever.

Absolutely fantastic job, Erik!

Unless I'm missing something it appears that map 25 cannot be exited ( unless using crouch ) because sector 1749 only has a height of 48.

You need to exit dead.

Every five maps, the idea is that you exit dead in order to have a pistol start for the next five-map "episode".

pcorf said:

the encounter with John Romero at the end really surprised me.

You know, that's the kind of stuff you should really put in a spoiler.

Grazza said:

You need to exit dead.

Every five maps, the idea is that you exit dead in order to have a pistol start for the next five-map "episode".

So how the hell do you "exit dead" if you have killed all the enemies, are still alive, and arrive at the exit area ?

hawkwind said:

So how the hell do you "exit dead" if you have killed all the enemies, are still alive, and arrive at the exit area ?

Rockets.

hawkwind said:

Tele-frag a barrel... Crushers... Head on a stick... There are lots of ways to die and some let you exit. It's all very creative.

Nobody's turned romero's head into a full fledged enemy yet (w/ 8 turn frames and a body probably)?

Map 25 is bugged. Yes, Maps 5, 10, 15 and 20 do allow the player to "exit dead" since these maps have an icon of sin (BBRNA0) which is killed by crushed exploding barrels ( BAR1A0 ). Map 25 has neither of these. As stated before sector 1749's height is too low to grant the player access to the exit lines - 8880, 8890, 8887 etc. Dying in this level only causes the player to restart level 25 all over again.

If I am wrong, and I'm willing to be proven so, can someone tell me exactly how one goes from level 25 to 26 - without crouch.

hawkwind said:

If I am wrong, and I'm willing to be proven so, can someone tell me exactly how one goes from level 25 to 26 - without crouch.

You must smash yourself with rocket launcher against the wall opposite to exit linedef while moving backwards. This speedrunning trick can be used in many different wads, in Plutonia Experiment, for example, or Icarus.

skepticist said:

You must smash yourself with rocket launcher against the wall opposite to exit linedef while moving backwards. This speedrunning trick can be used in many different wads, in Plutonia Experiment, for example, or Icarus.

Ok. I tried this with Risen3d, gzdoom and glboom+. Using gzdoom, this "trick" does indeed work. But when tried with either Risen3d or glboom+, the player just dies and slides into the exit area, and still has to restart level 25.

Can anyone confirm this ?

hawkwind said:

Ok. I tried this with Risen3d, gzdoom and glboom+. Using gzdoom, this "trick" does indeed work. But when tried with either Risen3d or glboom+, the player just dies and slides into the exit area, and still has to restart level 25.

Can anyone confirm this ?

In GLBoom Plus, you have to go into Setup - Doom Compatibility, then enable "Dead players can exit levels", then you can rocket suicide into the exit at Map25, and you will complete the level.

I feel really stupid now. You are all correct. I also came across this in my research which even mentions Scythe2 map 25 ...

EDIT ... For Risen3D users this has been fixed for the upcoming release of Risen3d v2.2.04.

MAP30 somehow made me think about the Yogg-Saron encounter in World of Warcraft, don't ask me why.

i am disappointed to say the least.

just kidding, haHA! this is awesome! thank you for finishing it!

Spleen said:

It's not a bug, it's a timer that you failed to beat. :p

How short is this timer? I've tried killing everything ASAP, then not killing anything and just running through; but it still won't open, despite the fact that I can get there in less than 30 seconds. Or am I missing something?

Edit: I just cheated to check the time (but not go to MAP32). 15 seconds?! Are you shitting me?! That's half the time needed to pass Run From It from Scythe 1 (I fucking hated that and had to resort to jumping to finish it) >_<

And those palsma troopers! I thought the ones from All Hell Is Breaking Loose are bad enough, but these are even more insane! You're an evil evil man.

Edit: I don't understand. I can get there in less than 15 seconds (13 is my best), AND IT STILL WON'T OPEN!!! This is the worst secret ever.

Fuck it, I'm idclipping...

Baby Bonnie Hood said:

How short is this timer? I've tried killing everything ASAP, then not killing anything and just running through; but it still won't open, despite the fact that I can get there in less than 30 seconds. Or am I missing something?

Edit: I just cheated to check the time (but not go to MAP32). 15 seconds?! Are you shitting me?! That's half the time needed to pass Run From It from Scythe 1 (I fucking hated that and had to resort to jumping to finish it) >_<

And those palsma troopers! I thought the ones from All Hell Is Breaking Loose are bad enough, but these are even more insane! You're an evil evil man.

Edit: I don't understand. I can get there in less than 15 seconds (13 is my best), AND IT STILL WON'T OPEN!!! This is the worst secret ever.

Fuck it, I'm idclipping...

You have about 10-11 seconds to get there. It is REALLY HARD to do, and I find it next to impossible on anything except I'm Too Young To Die or with No Monsters turned on. You can't even get the megasphere at the start, because doing so costs you about one half an extra second that you can't afford compared the the shortest route. You basically have to avoid the plasma; you don't have time enough for a single kill. What's more, you have to hope the fast moving guys don't get in your way, because if they do, they'll cost you time you can't afford. With only 100% health and no medkits you'll be running by on your route, executing this alive is very tough even on the lowest skill level - and pretty much a challenge only Doom gods might be able to digest on a higher skill level.

You don't want to miss the super secret level though (Erik did make it something special, as you'd expect after all the challenge in getting to it). Of course, make sure you've played the first Scythe (or at least the early levels of it), or you won't get the surprise.

10 seconds? Ugh... D:

This and Run From It are the first ever "forced speedrun" levels I've played in Doom (though Secret's is only optional); and thanks to their nigh-perfect-demanding time limits, I didn't enjoy them very much. I had to jump to get by Run From It, in an otherwise no-jumping WAD; I seriously cannot figure out any other way to do that level.

...then again, is Scythe really a no-jumping WAD? You had to jump to at least figure out how to get to Secret, and the maps with the 500+ monsters make me doubt the WADs' compatibility with doom2.exe. Then I suppose no one will mind if I crouch to exit MAP25 instead of death gliding there and dead exiting (yet again)?

Super Secret was pretty cool, very reminiscent of E3M9. I already saw it coming when I saw the familiar level, and I still liked it anyway ;)

I'll be honest, I have yet to play Hell Revealed. I've managed to finish Scythe 1 on UV though, so I guess I'll go through the rite of passage known as Hell Revealed after I finish Scythe 2 :3

Baby Bonnie Hood said:

10 seconds? Ugh... D:

This and Run From It are the first ever "forced speedrun" levels I've played in Doom (though Secret's is only optional); and thanks to their nigh-perfect-demanding time limits, I didn't enjoy them very much. I had to jump to get by Run From It, in an otherwise no-jumping WAD; I seriously cannot figure out any other way to do that level.

...then again, is Scythe really a no-jumping WAD? You had to jump to at least figure out how to get to Secret, and the maps with the 500+ monsters make me doubt the WADs' compatibility with doom2.exe. Then I suppose no one will mind if I crouch to exit MAP25 instead of death gliding there and dead exiting (yet again)?

Super Secret was pretty cool, very reminiscent of E3M9. I already saw it coming when I saw the familiar level, and I still liked it anyway ;)

I'll be honest, I have yet to play Hell Revealed. I've managed to finish Scythe 1 on UV though, so I guess I'll go through the rite of passage known as Hell Revealed after I finish Scythe 2 :3

Scythe is a limit removing pwad. This means that it uses vanilla features, but the maps are too complex for vanilla doom2 to handle. So no. You shouldn't be jumping or crouching if you want to finish the level as the author intended.

Then I'm puzzled about MAP15's secret exit. It's not possible to get onto the crates and get the yellow key from there without jumping. I've even tried straferunning from a higher platform onto the crates, but I just can't do it.

Do the palsma troopers and flying barons have official names, BTW? Or rather, what does the creator call them?

lareman said:

NOOOOOOOOOO!! You ruined the surprise...

What surprise? Everyone already knows by now that every MAP30 hands you Romero's head on a stick in one form or another :P

Now if said head itself started fighting back like a badass boss monster, *then* that would be a surprise.....