Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I assume this is the right area for this, but is there a wad available with all the sounds from the PSX Doom? I havent been able to find a sound-only wad file with all the sounds, everything ive located has incorrect sounds in places (Barons and Knights for example both have a death cry that sounds like a dinosaur screech in my current file, they both have seperate VERY cool death sounds in the actual game) or has levels attached.

The level of immersion that the PSX sounds coupled with a wad that replaces the soundtrack with the PSX one gives is amazing, and ive been trying to get a proper recreation for a long time. Theres nothing like walking around a corner and hearing a mighty echoing howling almost surreal roar and having a giant angry behemoth in your face ripping into, all while the quiet creepy ambience of PSX Doom is playing. I tend to jump a mile in the air, yell OH SHIT or some other expletive and drop whatever I'm holding in that situation; it just gets a "Whoah, didnt expect that" with the classic Doom ROAAAR Baron sound and metal soundtrack.

So yeah, anyone know where I can get a complete sound pack to fully recreate this level of immersion?

Ragnor said:

I assume this is the right area for this, but is there a wad available with all the sounds from the PSX Doom? I havent been able to find a sound-only wad file with all the sounds, everything ive located has incorrect sounds in places (Barons and Knights for example both have a death cry that sounds like a dinosaur screech in my current file, they both have seperate VERY cool death sounds in the actual game) or has levels attached.

The level of immersion that the PSX sounds coupled with a wad that replaces the soundtrack with the PSX one gives is amazing, and ive been trying to get a proper recreation for a long time. Theres nothing like walking around a corner and hearing a mighty echoing howling almost surreal roar and having a giant angry behemoth in your face ripping into, all while the quiet creepy ambience of PSX Doom is playing. I tend to jump a mile in the air, yell OH SHIT or some other expletive and drop whatever I'm holding in that situation; it just gets a "Whoah, didnt expect that" with the classic Doom ROAAAR Baron sound and metal soundtrack.

So yeah, anyone know where I can get a complete sound pack to fully recreate this level of immersion?

Theres a whole PSX Total Conversion available if your willing to use Zdoom. You will need to use ZDL or another launcher for it to work properly and you need to download the Music pack otherwise you wont get background music. http://cutstuff.net/blog/?page_id=57

By total conversion, does it mean all 59 levels?

If so I'd love that, seeing as I no longer own my PSX Doom copy, I only have PSX Final Doom now.

I'd still like a seperate sound wad though, to use in pretty much every other wad :p

I have the music wads from Doom Depot already, if thats what you mean by the music packs. Ive used GZDoom for a long time as my main source port, and before that, plain ZDoom, never really bothered with a launcher. Is it strictly required?

EDIT: Whoah, I feel like the guy who wrote that is me. I have nearly the exact same feelings on the game. As such I feel this will be my WAD of the year, maybe even "Best Ever"

Ragnor said:

By total conversion, does it mean all 59 levels?

If so I'd love that, seeing as I no longer own my PSX Doom copy, I only have PSX Final Doom now.

I'd still like a seperate sound wad though, to use in pretty much every other wad :p

I have the music wads from Doom Depot already, if thats what you mean by the music packs. Ive used GZDoom for a long time as my main source port, and before that, plain ZDoom, never really bothered with a launcher. Is it strictly required?

Yes it has all the PSX Levels.. I think.. Im playing it at the Moment and ive gotten up to Twilight Descends whitch is PSX only.. but im pretty sure it has all 59.

Oh my god, this is absolutely amazing. Ive wanted this for so long and someone actually did it!? Thanks for showing me this.

Of course I still need that sound file omewhere, but I'm going to be absorbed in this for a while

If this came out this year, I hope this thing gets a cacoward.

Ragnor said:

Oh my god, this is absolutely amazing. Ive wanted this for so long and someone actually did it!? Thanks for showing me this.

Of course I still need that sound file omewhere, but I'm going to be absorbed in this for a while

If this came out this year, I hope this thing gets a cacoward.

Dunno when it came out.. Unsure if theres a sound file BUT you MAY and DONT quote me on this but you MAY beable to extract the sounds from the Total conversion with Slumped or XWE

EDIT: Tinkering with the pk3 file and yes there is sound files in .WAV format(this is with slumped). I dont know if you'd be allowed to but you might beable to extract em and use em in your own WAD but make sure to credit the author.

I just started playing the PSX TC. I never really played the PSX version proper, but after reading one of the reviews of the TC (the one posted above), it sounds like the TC is extremely accurate.

I like everything they did for the PSX version, actually. The new lighting and music is superb. I haven't heard any reverb, though, and judging from some youtube videos it appears there is reverb in the PSX version.

I wonder if the guy who did the PSX TC is going to do PSX Final Doom as well?

I certainly hope so.

I wonder if Doom 64 is possible on ZDoom too? I really dont like Doomsday as much, so having it on my preferred port would be great.

Then eventually every console Doom on PC! Experience GBA Doom AT ITS BEST! Marvel at 3DO Doom like never before! Ha....I would actually play them all too.

Also, yeah this is all 59 levels. Club Doom even plays its unique track as you go up the stairs. Theres a typo in the end credits though, "by turing the evil" instead of turning :p

I wonder if all the bugged secret areas were fixed? Both PSX Dooms had secret areas that you could never get, it always bugged me when I was writing down the passwords in a notebook with the scores I got.

EDIT: Speaking of PSX Final Doom, the example I gave in my first post with the Baron comes from that :p I already got chills down my spine hearing them again on-masse in Map54 just now

Ragnor said:

I wonder if Doom 64 is possible on ZDoom too? I really dont like Doomsday as much, so having it on my preferred port would be great.

No, use Kaiser's doom 64 EX instead. It isn't the Doomsday one, but rather one a lot more accruate (it uses a engine very loosly based on the old Doom 3D sourceport, with the classic doom stuff replaced with Doom 64 stuff.)

It'd be nice to have all the weapon sounds from PSX Doom in regular Doom, as they sound quite better (and plus have the chaingunner use the pistol sound for his chaingun, but leave the spiderdemon alone with her shotgun-sounding super chaingun). But that's all I want; though the new monster sounds are nice, I feel they won't fit in any atmosphere other than PSX Doom. Plus, the PSX explosion sounds don't give the bang that the usual explosion sounds do.

...side note: The PSX pain elemental's muttering when it sees me kinda unsettles me :x

I compiled myself the PSX weapon sounds into a pk3 file. I have not played without it ever since, because the new sounds just--well--sound so good. I feel bad just keeping it all to myself though, so I'll gladly upload it somewhere if anyone else would like it and if there are no problems with doing so.

BTW, All Hell Is Breaking Loose apparently also use the pistol and shotgun sounds from PSX Doom; and I'm pretty sure that WAD predated the PSX Doom TC.

Here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?gyvfzmmyzza

All the player weapon sounds (well, except the ones that still sound the same) are replaced with their PSX Doom counterparts. Additionally, the chaingunner now uses the pistol sound which with the PSX sound fits just fine (but the spiderdemon still uses the shotgun sound). And just recently, I gave the SS Nazi his original machine gun sound from Wolf3D as well; that's included in the file as well.