Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erik

Project announcement: Scythe X

Yeah, just send him a sample. His email's on his profile.

Progress report:

Maps
Maps 01-08 100% finished.
Map09 - 60% finished.

Music
Map01-02 music finished by Bloodskull.

I'm going to start work on 10 midi files of different themes soon and send two at a time and you can choose the ones that fit in perfectly.

pcorf said:

I'm going to start work on 10 midi files of different themes soon and send two at a time and you can choose the ones that fit in perfectly.

I can pm you the episode themes (the ones that are decided) if you want to.

Erik said:

I can pm you the episode themes (the ones that are decided) if you want to.

Yeah, go ahead and do that!

From the few yet highly anticipated screenshots you have shown thus far. I find that your current choice in mapping style appears to be strongly influnced by 'One Bloody Night'. A wise choice in deciding to instigate a linear flow in level design, merely because many a player must be utterly exhausted and perhaps even frustrated at the amount of delicious BFG slaughterfests in Scythe II. While they were indeed considerably hectic and thrilling I found the last three maps to be very short as a result, if only their had been a combination of 'Huy Pham's' grand architecture coupled with the vast amount of deviously inserted hordes. Nevertheless I thoroughly enjoyed Scythe II and look forward to your future work Erik, you have an exceptional gift for crafting hauntingly beautiful architecture coupled with inexorable odds.

Map09 was a real pain to pull off, but it's more or less finished now.

Screenshot is a bit dark...

Am I correct in assuming that the first two episodes will have techbase and industrial themes, respectively?

Solarn said:

Am I correct in assuming that the first two episodes will have techbase and industrial themes, respectively?

Well, the first episode is techbase. The second is a space station but with a darker texture theme than usual, I guess you call call it industrial space station.

Insane_Gazebo said:

I assume what was 'painful' for you will only be revealed on release? :)

It was just a bigger than average map for me, I also tried actively to diversify the theme a bit. It seemed to get a bit too consistent with map07 and map08 looking very similarily.

Erik said:

The second is a space station but with a darker texture theme than usual, I guess you call call it industrial space station.

That screenshot reminds me alot about the Vrack series... :-)

I just wanted to say that I'm happy to see that Scythe's getting another sequel, since I'm a huge fan of your work. So, if you'll need another tester - I'm at your service. =)

Arf, too bad you limit yourself to midi for the music. Most limit removing ports can handle mp3s or oggs and I would have been delighted to participate.

Good luck on eveything anyway ;)

I agree MIDIs have their advantages:

They can be remixed or edited, they're small, their sound can be customized, and nearly any engine will play them.

myk said:

I agree MIDIs have their advantages:

They can be remixed or edited, they're small, their sound can be customized, and nearly any engine will play them.

Nearly any? Doom2.exe 1.9 will play them ;)

arrrgh said:

Nearly any? Doom2.exe 1.9 will play them ;)

And it's at that point that MUS should have become totally obsolete.

Yet I still see fairly recent WADs using MUS format for their original MIDI songs. Really good level tracks like Oniria's, and those by B.P.R.D. for the Community Chest and Nuts series of levels were converted into MUS format for little reason (that I can see, anyway).

(Sorry for the thread derailment, Erik.)

Well, it was never listed in any of the offical changelogs was it?

Also, Doom95 doesn't have midi support. It only supports mus.

I guess not, but Community Chest and Oniria were Boom and ZDoom projects, respectively. :?

Jimmy91 said:
And it's at that point that MUS should have become totally obsolete.

Not really, because while Doom (from v1.5 onwards) supports the MIDI format, only MIDIs that are convertible to the MUS format will be played back. Others will be ignored or may cause errors.

Composing MUS tracks or MUS compatible tracks also has the advantage that they may later be used with any engine, even if they were originally for a WAD relying on an advanced port.

(Sorry for the thread derailment, Erik.)

I bet he'll forgive you if you submit some great music for the project :)

Heh, I'd love to, really, but I've already got WAY too much on my plate right now. Once I ease my workload a bit we'll see. :P

Music for E1 AND E2 is shaping up well now that pcorf submitted a bunch of midis. What I really need now is a couple more E2 midis and title and intermission midis.

Testing is coming to an end soon.

Music is starting to finish up, open slots for the first release:

map08 music (industrial space station map)
map10 music (dark industrial space station map)
title screen music

E3 construction has not yet been started.

Edit: Title screen and map08 music slots filled.

Probably only a few hours to release now, just have to make sure that everything is purely limit removing compatible. Already found a few instances of the "max 20 lines per moving sector" limit.