Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Whoo

TNT 2: Devilution (Texture Pack in OP)

dutch devil said:

I might contribute to this, but I want to finish some other map first.

Go ahead and finish your other map, there isn't any certain deadline for maps.

dutch devil said:

Definitely needs to look more like TNT, at the moment I'm not getting that impression.

Same...if it's going to be a sequel it at least needs to look the part (ie. TNT textures).

Hopefully it won't suffer from the chronic lack of difficulty though.

IMO, TNT didn't really have that much of a "style". What characterized it was the more or less erratic design shifting that went through it. Most of the new textures were terrible and clashed horribly with the original Doom ones. Maps that was odd looking and not all that fun to play and the authors had plastered TNT all over the place like they were afraid that people would forget what they were playing. But also with a few good special places and some nice music.

I dont like the new wire either. I'd rather have an actual touched up version that still looks like TNT's wire without the flaws.

The same with the other low quality textures, just touch them up and everyone should be happy.

Ragnor said:

I dont like the new wire either. I'd rather have an actual touched up version that still looks like TNT's wire without the flaws.

The same with the other low quality textures, just touch them up and everyone should be happy.

This is like saying "just give these stick figures a little touch-up work so they can fit in with the imps and former humans".

Ragnor said:
and everyone should be happy.

I won't :(

Ragnor said:

You can polish a turd, but it'll still be a turd.

kristus said:

You can polish a turd, but it'll still be a turd.

Yes, but it will look pretty. The Mythbusters proved that.

Ragnor said:

If you can get more than yourself and a few people protesting that the new wire doesn't fit(Which it does), and they aren't all people who don't know about the balance of textures, then I'll consider touching up the original. However, that is very unlikely.

TheMionicDonut said:

I fail too see much of a resemblence to the TNT maps. Mind you, it doesn't look too bad on its own, but I fail to see it as much of a sequel.

This looks like it has potential, but I have to agree with MionicDonut on this one.

Sorry for the long inactive phase, a lot of the mappers are busy. I'm hoping that they'll all be able to get enough progress done over the holidays, so you should be expecting some things around there, or after.

(Ignore the sky bug in this shot)

(Still working on the tiling for the window grate)

I'll contribute some original midis. Any mappers who want a midi to fit there map from start to finish, send me a PM if interested.

This is looking kinda ... odd? I'll have to see the finished results, but I like the overall color choices

Could you PLEASE use ZDoom or some port with less-pixelated view? I can barely understand stuff from these screenshots... It looks ok overall, but I'm sure I'm not the only one that is bothered by the quality of these screenies.

I disagree with Van about the resolution and am happy to see them taken with Chocolate Doom or the like. I'm glad they're making the vanilla testing explicit by using a vanilla compatible engine. I hope you manage an even better job than we did for Plutonia 2 in this department, which has some vanilla issues. (I'm aware of at least one VPO in an ugly place.) I will also use that resolution during play, so I have no reason to see higher resolution shots I will never see in the game. More importantly, screen shots are just a tease and 320x200 visuals show what you need to see, especially in any WAD that isn't heavily detailed.

Whether it really elicits a "TNT impression" isn't that important, to me. Being a sequel and using TNT as an IWAD is enough. TNT is a DOOM II sequel. Does it succeed at being a follow-up? Maybe, but it shows its differences. Likewise, DOOM II differs from DOOM even though it shares various characteristics. Is that a problem? Not for me.

Personally, I'd advise getting screenshot from several different ports. Including Chocolate, GZDoom, PrBoom or Eternity, Doomsday, etc. Not the same scenes for each port as it would be redundant. Different scenes in different ports. It would give a better feeling of what it will look like in game with one's port of choice, and would show that compatibility problems are unlikely since it's being tested with many different ports.

This is my general opinion for any mod that isn't geared towards a specific engine.

With this type of screenshots Myk is probably the only person in the world who is happy.

These pictures are f*cking ugly due to the extreme pixelization.

I don't mind the res. I understand it's a vanilla project designed to emulate the style of a vanilla-era product, hence vanilla-like screenshots are appropriate.

Using GZDoom at 1920x1200 with GL lighting wouldn't be appropriate. Though I wouldn't mind if the shots were at 640x480 instead of 320x200 stretched up.

And more on-topic, I don't see much resemblance to TNT either, not necessarily in a bad way.

Looks alright to me - and in keeping with tnt.wad, it looks like a lightshow and has tnt written everywhere. Better be packed with extra annoying swarms of hitscanners and dubious gameplay decisions though, or it won't really be in the same vein :P

Graf Zahl said:

These pictures are f*cking ugly due to the extreme pixelization.

This is not the standard Doom resolution. If that has too many pixels for you, then you're out of luck for awhile. Upon the final release, there most likely will be screenshots from multiple ports.

Bloodskull said:
I'll contribute some original midis. Any mappers who want a midi to fit there map from start to finish, send me a PM if interested.

I will PM you, but in the future I'd request that you would contact us on IRC.

Phobus said:

Looks alright to me - and in keeping with tnt.wad, it looks like a lightshow and has tnt written everywhere. Better be packed with extra annoying swarms of hitscanners and dubious gameplay decisions though, or it won't really be in the same vein :P

As of now, without any medkits, that level is near impossible to beat.

Phobus said:

Oh god, I still have nightmares about that. TNT made me hate hitscanners forever.

EDIT: Lol forgot to comment on the project.
Nice work, I'm looking forward to this.

I am also looking forward to this. And I also want to go on the record of saying I love the low res screen teasers.

Oddly enough I could see some kind of odd trailer popping up soon.

azureace said:

Oddly enough I could see some kind of odd trailer popping up soon.

If you mean in the next two or more years, then yes.

Whoo said:

If you mean in the next two or more years, then yes.

Before you guys ask why is it gonna take that long. TNT2 is more of a sideproject to us. I'm busy developing Xenus 3 (TC) and managing Zero Invasion (the invasion ever?). Zap is possibly busy with The Empty Museum and helping firewolf out with WhoDunIt. Not sure about Whoo but he's probably busy with his studies. You should not worry, this project won't go to waste.