Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Whoo

TNT 2: Devilution (Texture Pack in OP)

myk said:

I disagree with Van about the resolution and am happy to see them taken with Chocolate Doom or the like. I'm glad they're making the vanilla testing explicit by using a vanilla compatible engine. I hope you manage an even better job than we did for Plutonia 2 in this department, which has some vanilla issues. (I'm aware of at least one VPO in an ugly place.) I will also use that resolution during play, so I have no reason to see higher resolution shots I will never see in the game. More importantly, screen shots are just a tease and 320x200 visuals show what you need to see, especially in any WAD that isn't heavily detailed.

I disagree. Low resolution screen shots stretched to 640x480 in a web browser looks like complete crap.

I don't mind the game's original resolution playing full screen or the project being aimed at vanilla, but as far as showing screen shots go, this is just inappropriate.

alterworldruler said:

Before you guys ask why is it gonna take that long. TNT2 is more of a sideproject to us. I'm busy developing Xenus 3 (TC) and managing Zero Invasion (the invasion ever?). Zap is possibly busy with The Empty Museum and helping firewolf out with WhoDunIt. Not sure about Whoo but he's probably busy with his studies. You should not worry, this project won't go to waste.

It's mainly because no one is signing up. We've only gotten two people in the last two months.

Mike.Reiner said:

I disagree. Low resolution screen shots stretched to 640x480 in a web browser looks like complete crap.

If the browser you're using streches the image to the point where you think it looks awful, download it. There's no reason I should turn up the resolution in screenshots for a few people.

Hey, been quite awhile since my last post! As you can guess, it was an inactive phase. And it still is. Alter is too busy, zap610 is too busy, and 40oz does not believe he has the skill to make TNT themed maps. That basically leaves me as the only mapper. I haven't seen any content from Kassman, but last time I spoke with him he was still planning to contribute. This project NEEDS mappers from the community. Since the last post in December, I only received two requests(Which I can partially understand). One I need to get back to(Sorry about that!), and one has a possibility of joining the team.

Here are three screenshots from a map in progress.

The forum for the project is located at: http://www.tnt2.net16.net/phpBB3/

Heh, this makes a Plutonia reimagining AND a TNT sequel two projects in progress on this forum at the same time.

...Wonder if I can manage both? XP

Updates. Kassman has contributed three screenshots for his map, Vile Sixth.

And in other news:

Alter has started work on a new map, named "Gray Zone"
The Mister Cat has contributed an incomplete MIDI track.
Jimmy91 has contributed two MIDI tracks.
Paul contributed several MIDI tracks, with two making it in.

Those reels in the last shot look a bit strange up there IMO.

If you have to have them on those pillars, I'd put them on the bottom of the pillars and maybe have some sort of speaker like texture where they currently are, to give their pressence a purpose. Then I would make the top of the tech pillar's connect to the top of the pillar, to represent some sort of connection between them (i.e wires).

They do look goofy.

Having a reel texture was a bad idea to begin with, it's an antiquated technology which makes about as much sense in a techbase as punchcards would.

I won't tell you what I think of the third shot, as I agree with Gez and Vermil.
Anyway, I like the second shot.

To be honest I thought it looked kinky with the reels. You must use the reels texture in TNT 2, no doubt. One of TNT's defining points. Otherwise you could just replace it with a comp texture instead. Probably would look better.

Evolution + evil = Evilution
So, using the same formula:
de-evolution + devil = devilution? Just my 2c about the name.
Other than that, everything looks swell.

Paul contributed several MIDI tracks, with two making it in. [/B]

Me?

Or another Paul?

But anyway this project is looking really promising.

pcorf said:

Me?

Or another Paul?

But anyway this project is looking really promising.

No not you, some have called him in past as Paul but infact his real nickname was Nmn. Some old doom vets will remember that name.

alterworldruler said:

No not you, some have called him in past as Paul but infact his real nickname was Nmn.

"Paul" is the English version of his first name (Pawel). He goes by Paul on the DRD Team forums.

So I sent a PM to Whoo like a couple of months ago, saying that if I got time, I would definitely do a map for this. And as I am a little freer now, I got to work. This is the result so far. Still early, but it is coming along nicely imo. It will be a loose remake of TNT's map 18 "The Mill", though hopefully I will manage to avoid some of the uglier clashes in that map, coz I always thought it was a great map. I'll try and finish this map reasonably quickly, before I get busy again, otherwise it may take a little longer... :)

It has been a while since I have done a vanilla map, and I really wanna capture that TNT feel, so comments or criticisms welcome.

Looking good so far Kyka. However, I really don't think CEIL5_2 looks good on large surfaces like that. I'd suggest keeping CEIL5_2 as trim around the edges of those large floors, and have the floor texture something like FLOOR4_8 or FLOOR5_3. Maybe even FLAT5. Looking more closely at the general feel you've got in those shots alone, I'd also recommend a little extra light variation.

Looking nice Kyka! I'd go with Jimmy's advice, along with adding a little more coloration. But other than that the overall design looks good.

Thanks guys for the suggestions. That was exactly the sort of feedback I was hoping for.

Screenie spam. Some new areas I did today. Man I had forgotten how much fun vanilla mapping can be. (the lighting isn't really done yet :) )

Methinks it is starting to look like an actual TNT map.

Good shots, right there. Reminds me of Map18 a lot... Which was probably my favorite TNT map. So DON'T SCREW THIS UP!!!!!!

This level is gonna be awesome when it is done.

At least that is the plan.

Nearly finished my version of Map01, just have to replace a few things that block the player's path. Here are some screens though

If it doesn't seem so TNT'ish I know, but I've did my best to copy most of the aspects of TNT 1's map01 into this map which are not shown in the screenshots. And always keeping with tradition if you play this map on hard mode there's a cyberdemon on the outside ready to do what he does best. This map is really just to show the DoomGuy's recollection of where he is and where he has to go now, thats why the giant monster's mouth is now wide open.

EmZee... that looks pretty cool.

Oh, and just a nub question for whoever reads this... What is the best way to test vanilla compatibility. Is it as simple as "run map in Chocolate Doom," or is there more to it than that? Coz I don't think that Chocolate Doom, as neat as it is, replicates every quirk in the Doom engine. I don't really know, so just outta interest.

Kyka said:

What is the best way to test vanilla compatibility. Is it as simple as "run map in Chocolate Doom," or is there more to it than that?

Use Chocorenderlimits:

http://dkk.slickproductions.org/files/doom/chocorenderlimits.zip

Kyka said:

Coz I don't think that Chocolate Doom, as neat as it is, replicates every quirk in the Doom engine. I don't really know, so just outta interest.

It's close enough, like 99.99%. Not enough to worry about.

I've been using Legacy so far to test out my Vanilla compatibility. I don't know about anyone else's Legacy but mine won't play anything that isn't vanilla, I tried putting it on a OpenGL option however nothing seemed to change but it's nothing to worry about because now I don't have to use Odamex for testing anymore.

Edit: I'm waiting for the Port that gives Doom.exe the patches it needs for other operating systems and is just thorough vanilla.

I like those shots guys, I could download this wad just to see those maps in motion.

Choco Doom lacks a launcher, which requires me to write countless .bat files to run wads. This wouldn't be a big problem for me if it weren't for the fact that it's hard to make sure that .bat file works.