Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jodwin

Claustrophobia 1024 2: :[Released!]:

walter confalonieri said:

no problem, i'll see to fix the bugs in that maps (but if some one already works to fix my few errors, hey, there's no deal ^_^!)

I've done some changes to all of them (mostly texture alignment), so I'll take care of bug fixing too. :)

Got it an hour or so ago, I played through the first 3 maps and want to get the opinions posted before I forget. Since the green herring is putting so much info into his posts I'll just stick with my points.

Port:prboom 2.5.0 win32

MAP01; Had a cool theme, health a little shaky if you don't pick up the secret at the beginning because of the hitscanners but I didn't die any of the 3 times I played it. I had a problem with boxes of shells right behind some doors though, more of a 'wasting ammo pickup' problem than not enough ammo, but still annoying. Also is the name of the map spelled correctly as intended? looks like a play on words.

MAP02; Little heavy on chaingunners and like others said low on health, but I had plenty on my last try after going through everything but the ending

Spoiler

Which was a nasty little trap ;)

MAP03; Was wondering about why the yellow key ambush can be triggered so early. Otherwise great.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

@TheGreenHerring: The music from my map, Severed Survival (MAP06) is from the original 1024 Congestion. It was kind of a throwback. It appears in Job's map, which I think is one of the 20's, where you begin facing a Hitler picture.

I'm really questioning that Archvile bug, though. As I recall, that problem never happened in the original version of the map before Mechadon (I think?) detailed it.

I'd love to test this out, by the way, if you don't have enough people doing it already, Jodwin.

Gotten through the first 5 maps. Enjoyed them all. Map04 was good, but it took a long time to notice the gunfire trigger (linedef 885). Map03 has been my favorite so far. Really interlocking level, great progression. Difficulty was spot on... actually, I found Map01 to be the hardest one. I almost pulled off Map02 tyson-style, which was really really fun to attempt.

EDIT:

If Map05 were in GoldenEye, it'd get the Where's the Armor? award. Made it challenging.

Map06 was really enjoyable, and every monster felt like it had appropriate use in it.

Map 07 = fuuuuuu- (my reaction after dying the 3rd time). As of the moment, too much of a challenge for me.

Here are my impressions of maps 6 - 10.

Tested with: PrBoom+ 2.5.0.3, Hurt Me Plenty, Pistol Start with -complevel 9

Initial Impressions: Another good set of 5 maps, with one exception. Also, what is up with this door effect? It's not bad, but I've seen it in nearly every map so far.

Level Impressions:

1. Map 6 - A nicely detailed brick and gothic map. Makes effective use of the limitations and detailing is not restrictive. I was impressed when the 3 way junction was lowered, revealing another door to a new section. I had one problem with this map, however: it took me forever to figure out how you open this door near the red key. I didn't see the switch that opened this door before I restarted the level thinking it was a bug. Eventually I found it after searching. There was a small lighting bug with this pipe. Overall, a good, fun map. A little difficult at the start, but it wasn't a problem.
  2. Map 7 - Standard MAP07 map with very restrictive detailing. This map frustrated me. After about 10 to 15 attempts, I simply skipped it. The map is very cramped with detailing getting in the way of movement. Movement felt more restricted in PrBoom+ than in GZDoom, as tiny, 2 unit lips on the steps made the view bounce up and down sickeningly. As a result, I felt as though I was getting caught on everything and had no room to fight. I only managed to kill all the Mancubuses once and was then slaughtered by the Arachnotrons. It probably is doable from a pistol start but I didn't feel that way.
  3. Map 8 - A nice brick castle/urban map. The map felt cramped in a few spots, but the detail did not hinder movement. Some very nice effects were employed in this map, such as the nifty Boom elevator with the moving ceiling and floor. There were a few spots that took me a while to figure out, namely the switch across the courtyard from the red key door. Gameplay was balanced well although I felt the imps placed outside of the map were unnecessary. The blue key balcony was marked as a secret which seemed strange to me. A great, inventive map overall.
  4. Map 9 - Another great map, this tech base flowed well. The visuals were appealing and the player has plenty of room to move around. These two chaingunners didn't seem very effective on those small platforms as they would move around more often than shoot. Two rockets are given to the player before the exit yet the player never receives a rocket launcher. There were also two cacodemons that failed to spawn into the map. Not much else to say. Another good map, very fun to play.
  5. Map 10 - See above. This is my favorite map so far. The blue and grey goes well together. Gameplay flowed nicely and I was never tripped up. There was a small texture misalignment at the start. A demon would often get stuck on the edge of this platform near the red key door. Another fun, strong map.

Overall, these set of 5 levels were very good with the exception of Map 7. I've never been a skilled player, but I found the map cramped and frustrating. If these 10 maps are a sign of things to come, I'm very excited for the rest of the maps in this set. :D

Fisk said:

@TheGreenHerring: The music from my map, Severed Survival (MAP06) is from the original 1024 Congestion. It was kind of a throwback. It appears in Job's map, which I think is one of the 20's, where you begin facing a Hitler picture.

Actually, in the beta copy of Claustrophobia 1024 2 that I have, the music on your level is completely different. Having extracted the music from the beta and looked inside of it, it's actually the theme of Stages 1 and 2 of Dr. Cossack's fortress from Mega Man 4. It can be found here (look under "Rockman Complete Works - Rockman 4 (Japan)".)

Anyway, here are my reports for MAP07-11 of this beta. I should also mention I'm playing all of these on Ultra-Violence difficulty.

MAP07: Into Hell
* 100% Kills possible: Yes
* 100% Items possible: Yes
* 100% Secrets possible: Yes (0 secrets)
* Completable from pistol start: Yes
* Fits within 1024×1024: Yes
* Some rather obstructive detail. Impassible lines should be added right at the edges of the fences around the level, for starters.

MAP08: Minimal House
* 100% Secrets possible: Yes
* The title of this level sounds very, very awkward. A more adequate title for this level would be "Minuscule House." To explain: The word "minuscule" means "very small." The word "minimal" means "constituting a minimum" or "barely adequate or the least possible."
* Depending on where they're standing at the moment, the enemies in the streets outside the level can be too far away for autoaim to take effect, making them unreachable. Remember: The player's autoaim only has an effective range of around 1024 map units. They also have little effect on the battles inside the building.
* The switches in the elevator would look a lot better if they had metal borders around them, rather than just suddenly appearing in the middle of a grey wall.
* I managed to activate the elevator while the door is open, and accidentally escape from it in the middle of its ascent. Not only did this create a Hall of Mirrors effect, but it made the level impossible.
* The bridge that rises when you get the yellow key only works once. If you intend to go back to the start of the level when the bridge is already down, you can do a running jump from the elevator, but still, the bridge should be raised by a repeatable switch next to the yellow key instead of a single-use walkover line.
* The door to the bathroom (sector 284) is 8 map units under the floor.
* It's possible to jump into the picture in the room adjacent to the bathroom, which constitutes obstructive detail. Also, for some reason, you can jump into the windows in that room, but you can't jump all the way through them. The much more sensible way to handle this would be to assign the impassible flag to the window linedefs inside the room, not outside.
* The switch at linedef 2015 can be activated from below before you get to the blue key. If you do this before opening the way to the blue key, it will become impossible to escape from the blue key platform... and if you do this after opening the way there, it will be impossible to get to the blue key at all.
* For that matter, why is the blue key platform flagged as a secret area? It's required to finish the level, after all.

MAP09: Handful of Dread
* Potentially obstructive detail in the passage to the cave before the red key, in the form of a monitor which does not have the impassible flag set.
* The Lost Souls in the northeast are rather pointless; they're behind a window with the impassible flag set, so they can never actually reach you.
* The yellow key switch does not make a sound in response to input. The switch could be made a single-use, switch-activated, open-only door instead of a manual one, with the switch (linedef 417) and its sector (sector 100) given a new tag (14, for example, in the level's current state.)

MAP10: Metallic Echo
* 100% Items possible: No (see comments)
* Only 0% Items is possible, because there are no items in the level that are counted under this tally. Take a look at this list and look for the items marked with a percentage sign (%) to see what's counted in the Items tally.
* The monster teleporters can be rather slow. It would be better if these teleporters were pointed west at the level, instead of north or south, for west is where the monsters will be walking when they're able to move.
* The blue key switch does not make a sound in response to input. The switch could be made a single-use, switch-activated, open-only door instead of a manual one, with the switch (linedef 208) and its sector (sector 74) given a new tag (16, for example, in the level's current state.)

Spoiler

* The secret area is given away on the automap by being a different color than the rest of the wall. Flag the two linedefs on this door (linedefs 362 and 795) with the "Secret" flag to prevent this.

MAP11: Doomchan
* Please change the title of this level. It makes no sense in the context of the level, and unlike "Nova Scotia Robots," it sounds incredibly stupid.
* One of the window frames in the first STARTAN room is cut off.
* If you're going to make the player go through a narrow, damaging-floor staircase potentially blocked by a Hell Knight -- a monster whose close-range attack can deal up to 80% damage -- to get to the yellow key, at least have the courtesy to provide a radiation suit.
* Ridiculously obstructive detail in the COMPBLUE hallway, thanks to the gray pillars sticking out of the damn wall.
* Part of an otherwise unmapped corridor is visible on the automap.
* The textures on the white rock pillars at the start of the SP_HOT section of the level do not move with the pillars when they rise.
* When the first arch-vile appears, it's possible for him to follow you into the super shotgun room, whereupon you will have no cover from his attack at all.
* After grabbing the red key, you are attacked by revenants on the other side of the gap, on a small platform with no cover. Please note: Revenants fire homing projectiles.
Spoiler

* What opens access to the secret area? A button which is exactly two pixels wide and two pixels tall. Other than that aforementioned automap bug, how is anyone supposed to notice this without cheating?

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Wow. That music somebody pasted over my map* is fucking fruity and unfitting as shit. What the hell happened?

* = I realize this makes me sound like I did all the work, which was really whoever detailed it. But you get my point.

Ohhhh, if my overflow map is in here, it's going to get raped by the testers, hahaha. I went perhaps a tad "over the top"...

Fisk said:

Wow. That music somebody pasted over my map* is fucking fruity and unfitting as shit. What the hell happened?

Personally I'm not particularly fond of either the original song or the current one, so if you have something else to recommend, go ahead.

@Butts: It's there, though the original fights have been toned down somewhat. :P Plus there's some sorry excuse switch hunt to try to add a little progression (read: more but smaller fights).

Guest DILDOMASTER666
Jodwin said:

Personally I'm not particularly fond of either the original song or the current one, so if you have something else to recommend, go ahead.

I don't, really. I expected it to be replaced, hopefully with something similar to the original. But not with the track it currently has.

Again, I'm not trying to down anyone for picking the current track out; as I didn't put most of the work into the map, therefore it's not really my choice to make. I would just like to voice that I strongly dislike the current song. :/\

Been playing some more maps off and on today, played most of maps11-20 to the end or near it, and didn't really see any bugs in the 1-3 times I played each map. I didn't really take notes though so I'll have to play through them again. I remember jodwin's map 15 or 16, can't remember exactly which, but that was very nicely done, cool theme.

I also decided to try taking the wad from the end to the beginning, and was immediately non-plussed to find MAP30 was by gggmork ;P Didn't get very far though -.- And map29 man ... I know it's possible to pistol start, I got to the big baron/hell knight/revenant fight, but it was just taking too long for my mediocre attention span ;) Another awesome jodwin map. That makes 3 so far, did you do more? oh and btw ...

Spoiler

did you make it intentional that you could block the arch-vile teleport in the first bit? It was more reliable for me to simply wait by the door closer to the chaingunners switch, but is an interesting choice.

Finally, just finished MAP22, I love whoever made that midi :) Was pretty cool like the rest of these maps, and was more fun than some others because of how much room there was! Definitely a nice break after some other absolutely claustrophobic maps (hence the wad name, but still ...). My only gripe was the room with pillars in the lava, that trap is confusing, I first thought 'wtf how do I do this' then 'wtf that's not going to make many people happy -.-'. I'm not sure how ELSE you could do that fight though ... it's a great encounter though, should keep it.

So far I'm remembering why I didn't finish the last claustrophobia, in that there is barely any room for big fights, just traps, which is bearable in small doses but try playing more than 5 maps in a sitting ... yea. Anyway, for 'most common problem' I nominate 'no-texture upper sidedefs'. There are at least 4 maps that have problems with this imo, not excluding MAP29, which is an awesome intro but looks very buggy because of that limit ...

Eh I better put an end to this post before I get everyone on my case ;P

@jodwin: ok, understood...

@THG: Why do you think about "Little Doomsday" instead of "Doomchan"? It fixes well with map itself and with title (since means literally little doom)
Maybe you, man, you're not a goddamn weeaboo like me and jodwin, oh BTW...

Okay, just finished Map07-Map11, all of which were good fun.

Map07... I know two different ways to beat this now. Fist is the normal, appropriate way. It took me 5 or 6 tries, but I managed it after changing my strategy. As for the other way... well

Spoiler

After I started the level one time, I ran up, hit the switch, kept running forward, and managed to make it to the center platform. Thus, a pacifist run of 0:02. If this isn't intentional, move the switch a smidgen away from the center.

Map08 was highly frustrating, and probably the map that's given me the most trouble (not counting Map07). The monsters on building tops managed to get me more than once, and that was bleeehhhh. Oh, and I also got off that elevator before it went up.

Map09 is where the fun really started. That beginning is just really really fun. I love anything that makes basic enemies a challenge, and this didn't let me down.

Map10 = fun from start to finish. The two caged revenants were quite easy to pick off, though. This whole map was actually kind of easy. Still good fun, tough.

Green Herring had almost identical notes for Map11, I just want to add that the forced journey through nukage at the start didn't help the experience any.

The Green Herring said:

MAP08: Minimal House[/b]
* The title of this level sounds very, very awkward. A more adequate title for this level would be "Minuscule House." To explain: The word "minuscule" means "very small." The word "minimal" means "constituting a minimum" or "barely adequate or the least possible."

Might be titled such as a play on music genres.

And, incidentally, that definition might explain why much minimal house and techno is utterly worthless. But anyway...

Looking forward to playing this, Claustrophobia 1024 was tremendous.

Finally finished this. Good job one and all.

Tested with Risen3D v2.2.05 unreleased ...

Map 01 ...

Sectors 214/216 should have a light level of 128.

Map 02 ...

Delete the actions and tags on lines 273 and 677 and 677. Lines are tagged but no corresponding sector tag number.

Map 05 ...

1. Sectors 214 and 464 would have looked better as fake sectors, hiding the burning barrels.

2. Lines 471, 742, 416, 704, 743 and 707 should have all the same texture. maybe ashwall2 ?

3. Fix sectors 170/171 - sector flashing. To fix simply increase the ceiling height for these sectors without adding the side textures to make the "vanilla" flood fill technique. Similar for point 1, Just remove the lower textures on lines 930, 931 etc.

4. Thing 175 needs to be tagged EASY as well for the EASY monsters at sector 432 to teleport.

5. Wrong ceiling flat for sector 464 - should be F_SKY1.

6. Wrong ceiling texture for sectors 170/171 - should be FLAT1.

Map 08 ...

Line 1230 needs a Y alignment of -7.

Map 11 ...

Risen3d shows the texture SP_ROCK1 when looking out of the window at sector 127. This is because the ceiling of sector 129 is lower than the ceiling of sector 127. So to fix, the ceiling of sector 129 needs to be raised to at least the ceiling height of sector 127 i.e. 72.

Map14 ...

1. Thing 3 would look better placed further north and thing 4 futher south ( shotgun shells at start of level ).

2. Lines 824/785 need a Y offset of 171 .

3. Sector 161 could be extended slightly east to cater for lines 879,882,883 etc.

Map 31 ...

1. Linedef 2541 needs an offset to show the switch. The correct offsets are X = 24 and Y = 64.

2. Sector 155 is tagged # 34 but no corresponding linedef tag, preventing the voodoo doll crossing line 1283, although it doesn't affect gameplay.

Map 16 ...

1. Lines 1585 and 1584, 1765 and 1768, 655 and 656 not lower unpegged - doortrak.

2. Lines 1920 and 1949 have the doortrak texture on the wrong lower sidedef. They should be on the front sidedef. This causes a rendering error. Also those lines are back to front with their sector associations.

3. Sectors 182 would have looked better if they had DRKFLAT2 as the floor IMO.

Map 17 ...

Please move things 79-84 - potions - off the line. They look half buried in risen3d.

Map 19 ...

Line 1686 is a GR line but has no line tag and neither does sector 497. Required for Boom and derivatives.

Map 26 ...

1.Wrong lower texture on lines 939 and 941. Should be JR_49.
2. Sector 392 is not a scroll floor/things sector.

Map 29 ...

Action 271 - transfer sky texture is also needed for sectors 159 and 158 - needs tag 1 and 2.

Map 30 ...

The Icon of sin can still be killed even before the mouth has fully opened after shooting the eyes. Bear in mind that only zdoom and derivatives can only open the mouth with rockets. Boom and derivatives can only use hitscan weapons.

GENERAL ...

I noticed many instances of vine and railing type textures not having a "mirror image" for the other side of the line, or not x aligned correctly.

100% secrets are possible in all maps that have them.

100% kills are possible in all maps.

Since this is a boom compatible pwad the EMAPINFO and MAPINFO lumps are superfluous. DEHACKED is enough.

Definitely a good bug find on 30 (I'm pretty sure that's my/kyka's map since it used to be map 26). Luckily I figured out how to fix it with a big invisible sector that pops up after you shoot the eyes then back down (invisible because the floor is above you and it has no side textures). I also doubled the teleport lines so maybe that'll help them warp faster.
I know that only hitscan guns work to shoot switches in prboom, but doesn't seem to be a problem because the player is just stuck on a tiny ledge with no other options, so will figure it out soon enough.

Fixed 30 map link (this is just that one isolated map, not the megawad.. also it is currently still map 26, not 30.. and not sure which version anyone has but it has a couple other recent fixes (cyber door raised, no damage effect on bfg, and sped up one string of actions to remove a boring pause):

http://www.sendspace.com/file/rpt4re

I've been sending PMs to all of the original mappers asking for info for the readme. However alterworldruler had PMs disabled and I can't find Impboy on DW. So:

1) If you (alter or impboy) happen to see this, could you fill the following info and post. Alter's maps in Claus 2 are "The Dark Dawn", "Dismalady" (together with TheMionicDonut) and "Twilight of the Demons", and Impboy's maps are "666 Feet Under" and "Graytechindustries."

Name (optional):
Email:
Other files you've released:

Your maps in Claus 2:

-Map name:
-Short Description (optional):

2) If anyone else happens to know how to get hold of either alter or impboy, please let me know.

@Testers:
Thanks for all the reports so far! I figured I should mention one thing about the difficulty of the later maps: Towards the end there are some maps which are, simply put, hard. Possibly even too hard. If you find any maps too hard on the difficulty level you're testing on, could you try on the easier levels and report on whether they're manageable on an easier level and if the differences on difficulty are too drastic? Being a "slaughter lover" myself it's a bit difficult for me judge how the difficulty on these hard maps is for other people, so any input on that too would be greatly appreciated.

edit: Got Impboy's info. Thanks to intermediary Snarboo. :P

I took your advice and played the two maps that gave me the biggest problems, 5 and 7, and played them on HNTR. Both maps were more manageable and much less frustrating. Map 7 was a little frustrating, but I was able to beat it this time. The difficulty change from HMP to HNTR was neither too much to be too easy nor too small to be unnoticeable, at least for those two maps, so I'd say the difficulty balance was good.

I'll continue working on the next set of maps for my next update.

Here are my test reports for MAP12-15. Same settings as usual.

MAP12: Stagnant Depot
* This is a very cramped level, with a load of obstructive detailing that makes it even moreso. It can also be hard to enter the secret area without either getting stuck on or bouncing off the sides of the doorway.
* Not only are the switches for the elevator before the red key very tiny, but you can't activate any of them if it's on the other side of the linedef making up the side of the elevator, which has a linedef action but is not flagged as "PassThru." You also cannot activate the bottom switch while standing behind the walkover linedef in front of the elevator.
* Near the red key, a stalagmite clips through the wall.
* The army of imps near the exit seems to have little purpose other than to give you some more monsters you have to shoot for 100% Kills, as they have little actual room to fire at you.

Spoiler

* At the end of the level, there's a computer panel you can open, behind of which is an elevator that, when activated, reveals a partial invisibility and an imp. This appears to be a secret, yet it is not flagged as such. Why is this?

MAP13: The Blood Factory
* Major kudos to whoever did the detailing on this level. It's the first "high detail" map I've ever seen that actually works on an artistic level, rather than just looking pretty. The combination of textures really does it for me, and the music (whatever it is and wherever it's from) further adds to the atmosphere of the level.
* The monster teleporters can be rather slow. This is particularly evident at the first suit of blue armor.
* In the room at the very northeast of the level, the imps outside have little effect on the action inside the building unless you're standing right near the window.

MAP14: Twilight of the Demons
* The level's music is moody and atmospheric... except, unfortunately, it doesn't sound very fitting for this level, which is a decidedly un-moody techbase. It would sound less out-of-place in a survival horror game or level. (If it is from a survival horror game, e.g. Resident Evil, I wouldn't be surprised.)
* When you're about to step on the bridge or the 3D platform, any monsters wandering around below them will be instantly teleported on top of them. I know this is is basically unavoidable without placing arbitrary Block Monster lines (and thus making the opposition weaker,) but it's still noticeable.
* Another level in which the monster teleporters can be rather slow, although to a worse extent. The monsters to be teleported have a lot of room to move around, but only one place to teleport.
* It looks kind of silly for the crate on which the red key sits to have its top side still visible when it sinks into the ground. ;)

MAP15: Spirited Away
* "Wise fwom your gwave..." ;)
* When I read the title of this level, all I can think of is the Hayao Miyazaki movie. Unfortunately, nothing about this gothic dungeon suggests a mysterious, old bathhouse. ;)
* The early part of this level comes off as a stealth mission: Don't fire a shot until you hit the switch on the other end of the level, or you'll be attacked by two arch-viles without sufficient firepower or cover to kill them. In fact, this whole level really is a survival horror level; you better make your shots count, or you might find yourself pistol-fighting a hell knight (as I did on a few attempts.) I like the different feel of this level in comparison to the others I've played so far.
Spoiler

* The secret exit is clever and well-hidden. So well-hidden, in fact, that I had to look at the level in a map editor to find it. It doesn't help that those suspiciously red-eyed panels don't make a sound in response to you pressing "Use" on them. Perhaps a linedef 1 map unit away from the edge of the panel with a switch texture on the upper or lower side of the sidedef (which will not be visible in this case) will suffice for this purpose.

I'm going to play MAP31 and MAP32 next; to whom should I PM my reports for those two levels, in order to avoid spoiling them for the public?

The Green Herring said:

I'm going to play MAP31 and MAP32 next; to whom should I PM my reports for those two levels, in order to avoid spoiling them for the public?

Send them to me, I guess gggmork is the only original mapper who currently has his map's latest version anyway.

Solarn said:

I'd like to join the testing as well, if there's still need for testers.

The testing team is full, but you could check your PMs and send your mapper info. ;)

Jodwin said:

The testing team is full, but you could check your PMs and send your mapper info. ;)

Uh... yeah, sorry. I'm not very good with checking my messages. I never expect to get any. I'm sending relevant info now.

Ok. Sorry Jodwin, I am a little behind most people on the testing, but I am into it now. Having read through the bugs that other people have found, I'll just try to report anything I notice that people haven't already. (Which, given the thoroughness of the other testers means my playtesting will consist mostly of finding minor texture misalignments. o_0 )

And on that note:

MAP01 Poliganoy (Stewboy)
-----

ARCHITECTURE:
-Virtually every little inset linedef on the map that uses texture BKGR_N09 is misaligned. (examples 475 654 651 663 660 647 649 665 663 448 575 632 645 etc etc) Some SHIFT-A work on that texture would do wonders.

GAMEPLAY:
-This may be just me but someone mentioned about hell knights on level 01. I agree with this. And I also thought this level was harder then the next 3 maps that followed it, so possibly was not the best map01 for this mapset. Otherwise a very good map. I liked this.
-Other stuff already mentioned.

MAP02 Corrosion (Shotgunmassacerz)
-----

ARCHITECTURE:
-The BRICK07 texture is misaligned in many places. The brick lines do not match up. (Examples 301, 304 344, and many of the inset/window areas.)
- The BRNSMALR texture used on lines 385 375 620 617, the way it is aligned looks crap. To me it would be worth stretching those lines out so they are 64 instead o4 48 units wide and just reset the alignment.
-the green lava on linedefs 679, 682, 684, 687, etc could be BRICK7 instead.

GAMEPLAY:
The only real thing on this level was the start. Several times I grabbed the beserk pack and stepped out swinging, only to have my fisticuffs rudely interrupted when I either a: stepped on the nearby shotgun or b: stepped on the chaingunner's chaingun while beating on something else. Remove the chaingunner, and put a chaingun and a shotty out in the open a little further from the P1 start point.

MAP03 Tekno1000 (Jodwin)
-----

ARCHITECTURE:
-The 'SUPPORT2' texture needs fixing up in the TEXTURE1 lump, as the patches that make up the texture do not line up correctly.
-I thought the BRNGRN used on linedefs 104, 119, 479, looked remarkably out of place, given the rest of the level is tan/silver/brown.
-the little inset windows at sector 137 and 138 could be resized/realigned so the grate sits neater. Say this instead of this.

GAMEPLAY:
-Pretty good actually. [edit] I was thinking this may not make a bad MAP01 [/edit]

MAP04 666 Feet Under (Impboy)
-----

ARCHITECTURE:
-The MIDGRATE texture on linedefs 154, 155, 156, 157, 159 extends infinitely into the ground and ceiling. Needs the light level on one side to be reduced.
-The SKSPINE2 texture on linedefs 199 - 203 does not tile correctly, it looks like the patches are aligned all wrong in the TEXTURE1 lump.
Screenie

GAMEPLAY:
-MAJOR FLAW. It is too easy to get the blue key without triggering linedefs 899, 900, 901, 902 just in front of it, which will then not release the 5 off map monsters, nor lower the bars at sectors 173, 176, 177. (Going around the top will trigger the bars but not the monsters, going around the bottom will trigger neither the bars nor the monsters.) The linedefs need to be extended to cover the sides, not just in front of the blue key.
-As already mentioned, the shoot switch to raise the bars is easy to miss.
-Three cacodemons is probably unnecessary in the main outer area. Two is probably enough.
The secret isn't much of a secret, given you have to trigger it open as a part of your progression through the map.

MAP05 Enough Space ?? (Lord_Z)
-----

ARCHITECTURE:
- The light at the base of linedefs 158, 1711 and 3000 needs to be aligned.
-The COMPSPAN texture on linedefs 524, 525, 526, 527 need to be offset to match the COMPFLAT that is next to them
-(Uber Picky) I thought the GOTH_J12 on the floor and ceiling of sectors such as 31 32 33 could be something better.

GAMEPLAY:
-The three cacodemons at the start really could be just two. They can only come at you one at a time anyway, so ten cacodemons poses no greater threat than just one. Killing the third one with just a pistol is a bit pointless imo.
-The secret with the backpack in it. The backpack can be picked up without triggering the secret. The backpack could be moved towards the rear wall easily enough.
-the flaming barrel already mentioned.

Kyka said:

-The SKSPINE2 texture on linedefs 199 - 203 does not tile correctly, it looks like the patches are aligned all wrong in the TEXTURE1 lump.
Screenie

Heh, a ZDoom texture tiling bug on a stock texture. :P
It's fixed now, though.

(and it's good that at least someone does testing on ZDoom, because half the people are going to play this with it anyway)

ArmouredBlood said:

I also decided to try taking the wad from the end to the beginning, and was immediately non-plussed to find MAP30 was by gggmork ;P Didn't get very far though -.-

Heh. And just think, the version in this mapset is faaaaaaaaaaaar easier than the original that gggmork and i did. (Well gggmork did the entire level/ monsters etc etc, I just did a bit of detailing).

Dude, trust me, the original was tough. Even by gggmork standards, it was tough. Playing through this one, I can get most of the way through the level without dying. In the original, it took me like (honestly) 50 or more deaths to get out of the first room.

Kyka said:

Heh. And just think, the version in this mapset is faaaaaaaaaaaar easier than the original that gggmork and i did. (Well gggmork did the entire level/ monsters etc etc, I just did a bit of detailing).

Dude, trust me, the original was tough. Even by gggmork standards, it was tough. Playing through this one, I can get most of the way through the level without dying. In the original, it took me like (honestly) 50 or more deaths to get out of the first room.

Ehhh, no, actually the gameplay hasn't been changed much at all. It was "tough" because the map was originally broken in ZDoom, but worked fine in boom (hey, that's two maps so far in Claus 2 which have been anti-ZDoom :D ).

Kyka said about armouredblood's:

Heh, I didn't really bother trying too hard on it, just kind of mesmerized by the lines and stuff. I went to jodwin's map29 and said 'oooooo nice hell fight' and played the crap out of that one. I did try it again later in iddqd and couldn't figure out how to get the blue key, but I didn't look at it in DB2.

Jodwin said about kyka's:
Ehhh, no, actually the gameplay hasn't been changed much at all. It was "tough" because the map was originally broken in ZDoom, but worked fine in boom (hey, that's two maps so far in Claus 2 which have been anti-ZDoom :D ).

I actually playtested all the stuff I wrote about with prboom, so no zdoom fallacies there ;) kinda related, I've been noticing lately how some things are actually easier in boom vs. zdoom, even with the worse bounding box. Of course, it's mostly slaughter map related, and no it's not just the lag -.-