Mancubus
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > plutonia 2 wad question

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 14:09. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
sirventolin

for a long time, I was under the impression that "Plutonia Experiment" was one of the most extreme first person shooter mission packs ever devised, then I only recently found out there was a second plutonia.....I need it....

so I found it, got it, and.....the wad file just won't work, I've tested like 5 or 6 different Doom source ports, and they all load every other wad file I have, but none of them will run PL2.wad

also, i'm sure it's not a bad file because I've downloaded it twice, same result.

is there anything special I should have to do to it to make it work? I don't recall playing other custom wads being this troublesome.

Thanks

Old Post 11-13-09 08:35 #
sirventolin is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
[WH]-Wilou84

You have to use plutonia.wad as the IWad, not Doom2.wad.

Like this : port -iwad plutonia.wad -file pl2.wad

In case this doesn't work, try re-downloading PL2.zip.

Old Post 11-13-09 08:40 #
[WH]-Wilou84 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Abyssalstudios1

Or if you don't want to use typed commands, just drag-drop Pl2.wad onto Skulltag or zDoom or something.

Old Post 11-13-09 23:39 #
Abyssalstudios1 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Vegeta
I don't "POST WAREZ, POST WAREZ!" anymore

You might be disappointed. The difficult isn't very different, but the gameplay is less fluid than the one of Plutonia turning boring after a while.
Also while Final DOOM had decent story line, the one of Plutonia 2 is one of the crappiest in a serious DOOM mod.

Old Post 11-14-09 00:26 #
Vegeta is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
myk
volveré y seré millones

sirventolin said:
I've tested like 5 or 6 different Doom source ports,
Some engines have problems with the DECORATE MAPINFO lump, which is ZDoom-specific. You could try the latest versions PrBoom-plus or ZDoom, for example, that can run it fine.

Old Post 11-14-09 00:36 #
myk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Graf Zahl
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Don't you mean MAPINFO? Pl2 didn't use DECORATE and that sure wouldn't cause problems with anything.

Old Post 11-14-09 06:39 #
Graf Zahl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
myk
volveré y seré millones

Indeed, I meant MAPINFO.

Old Post 11-14-09 18:06 #
myk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
sirventolin

I got it to work in some doom engines, Doomsday for one (under os x) and I got it to work in zdoom under windows xp, and maybe something else. Some other engines might have worked, it was like 4am, I don't totally recall.

I need to do more tests under VMware Fusion and VirtualBox to see exactly how much "doom" I can run on one machine. (some engines are better than others, and some are only written for some OSes)

On a side note, story, as far as I'm concerned, never has and never will have anything to do with doom gameplay; get guns, find keys, kill demons, repeat. I realize I might stand alone in that opinion, but then, this thread is a technical one about loading wads correctly.

Thanks for the helpful replies thus far, does anyone know of any lists of what popular wads work best with which engines?

Old Post 11-14-09 23:44 #
sirventolin is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Patrick
someone employed to clean and maintain a building

sirventolin said:
Thanks for the helpful replies thus far, does anyone know of any lists of what popular wads work best with which engines?

I dont know what your interests are, but here are my favorite 'modern' mods:

John Wasburn's Cold as Hell: Best horror/psycological mod IMO, requires GZDoom to run.

Ultimate Torment and Torture by Daniel Gimmer: Its pretty much still Doom, but has some of the most beautiful scenery I've ever seen in a Doom mod

Deus Vult II by Huy Pham: You thought plutonia was intense? It's nothing compared to this. Just need a Limit removing port that supports Mp3s, prBoom+ or ZDoom come to mind.

Old Post 11-15-09 00:12 #
Patrick is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
myk
volveré y seré millones

sirventolin said:
On a side note, story, as far as I'm concerned, never has and never will have anything to do with doom gameplay; get guns, find keys, kill demons, repeat. I realize I might stand alone in that opinion, but then, this thread is a technical one about loading wads correctly.
Nah, many agree with that. When making an action-oriented DOOM level set, as exemplified by Plutonia, it's convenient to work on the game play and environment. You can then "tack in" a suitable story, if necessary. The story can be rather conventional, perhaps with a few twists of its own, especially if these can highlight some characteristic of the levels.

Old Post 11-16-09 22:26 #
Quasar

I shall make a point of ensuring that EE's eventual Hexen-format MAPINFO parser is tolerant of syntax errors.

Old Post 11-17-09 15:36 #
Quasar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Zetta
Mini-Member

pl2 sucks, no varaity, extremly boring gameplay, etc. even pl2 never had very good gameplay, dunno who thought of makeing a second one

Old Post 11-29-09 05:17 #
Zetta is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
sirventolin

Zetta said:
pl2 sucks, no varaity, extremly boring gameplay, etc. even pl2 never had very good gameplay, dunno who thought of makeing a second one

Well said, I think you might have meant PL1 that second time. Thanks for the hot tip.

note : the little red lines under words aren't just there for fun, though, they are a lot of fun.

Old Post 11-29-09 19:00 #
PhilibusMo

Am I the only one here who found PL2 good fun, not as fun as doom 2 reloaded but good none the less.

Old Post 11-29-09 20:59 #
PhilibusMo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
sirventolin

I'm playing it through for the first time and I'm enjoying it a lot. It's a little weird, but it's fun, and as I recall...fun has something to do with games....I dunno....

I'm only about 4 levels or so in, but based on what I've seen so far I'd say it's at least as fun as TNT.

Old Post 11-29-09 21:08 #
Butts

I fucking loved pl2, it's one of my favorite megawads of all time. I like it better than AV but not as much as kama sutra.

Old Post 11-29-09 23:00 #
Butts is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Zetta
Mini-Member

oh and the other thing about pl2 is its too hard. Not " ohh well you need to practice more...ooooh you must be patiant" NO! ITS TOO HARD! and thats that. glad we could clarify that.

Old Post 11-30-09 02:50 #
Zetta is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
sirventolin

wow, I know what i'm getting you for christmas.

A T-Shirt that says "I'm a quitter" in big letters.

there are different difficulty modes ya know.

Old Post 11-30-09 07:22 #
TheMionicDonut

Zetta said:
oh and the other thing about pl2 is its too hard. Not " ohh well you need to practice more...ooooh you must be patiant" NO! ITS TOO HARD! and thats that. glad we could clarify that.

Just stay with your little rechargey health FPS Halo games for babies and let the real men play the untarnished awesome that are things like PL2.

Old Post 11-30-09 07:26 #
TheMionicDonut is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
EarthQuake
9.5 on the Richter!

Some of us have been playing this game for almost 16 years. After playing the game for so long, we tend to no longer constantly bump into walls, stop to shoot, or move in one direction at a time. Harder is better, because the old hard shit just isn't hard any more.

Old Post 11-30-09 08:31 #
EarthQuake is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote