Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cronyne

Wish to see more of this?

Here's a couple screenshots:

---

It's a cool level. I liked the moving water, that was a nice touch. The level overall seemed very clean and well-structured. It felt like a "real place." My only complaints would be that it's extremely small and very easy to beat. Seeing as it's part of a larger WAD though, as an intro map it's a good size. It will be interesting to see what comes next--I quite liked this level just by itself.

I like the visual style, but I have to say the gameplay leaves a lot to be desired. There's not much going on there in terms of interesting battles, and the key hunt seems fairly pointless at this stage in the game. I realize this may be an intro map, but honestly the world doesn't need more "intro maps." Most of the people who would play your wad want something with a little oomph for MAP01.

But definitely, keep going with that visual style. I like it, very simple, clean, and effective.

Conflicting opinions, guess I'll take my pick.

Thanks guys, oh, and as for subatomic, whatever program you're using to render, it's missing a detail.

Not sure what you mean by "missing a detail" -- but for what it's worth, I played the map using GZDoom in OpenGL mode.

Edit: I see what you mean now. I ran it again, this time in Software mode. It seems that the glass effect you're using in that room doesn't render properly in OpenGL mode.

Well if you notice my screenshot compared to yours, the floor lights are missing. I guess those only show up in Software.

I'm sure someone here could help you in getting it to work in both Software and OpenGL mode. Doing so may open your map to a larger audience--if you intend to use a lot of these effects. It certainly couldn't hurt to have both modes supported, when possible.

Strangely, the glass that the red keycard is encased in works in both modes. Yet the glass on the floor turns into a solid texture in OpenGL. Here's a couple full-size comparison shots:

Software:
http://i46.tinypic.com/34g9g1j.png

OpenGL:
http://i45.tinypic.com/dxmnht.png

Like I said though, I'm sure if you ask the kind folks here on the forum, someone will be able to help you with it.

Cronyne said:

Well, just note I myself only run Software mode, so for the future you may as well too.

Did you use the glass floor trick? I don't think any OpenGL engine can detect and emulate those. Also, when mapping for ZDoom, it's unneeded as you can make such structures with stacked sectors or invisible bridges instead.

Gez said:

Did you use the glass floor trick? I don't think any OpenGL engine can detect and emulate those. Also, when mapping for ZDoom, it's unneeded as you can make such structures with stacked sectors or invisible bridges instead.

What would be the downsides of stacked sectors?

Unless you're esselfortium, good luck with getting Zdoom portals to work correctly.

Nicely done! The new version works in both modes now. The map is a little harder as well--not much, but certainly reasonable for an intro map. If anyone disagrees, just look at the original map01 from Doom 2. Even on UV it's easy as pie beating that level.

I'd say this is quite an improvement. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the help, criticism and reinforcement guys. So, I guess I'll occasionally come back to this map and add in things here and there (maybe make that stack sector look a little cooler) but for the mass project, I'm thinking MAP02 would be more of a cold storage? Fogged up areas and such, some humming machinery, maybe even frozen enemies that attack.

Cjwright79 said:

I cannot get this to work, using Zdoom and a 20mb Hexen iwad I happened across. Is there something I need to know?

Yeah; don't use a Hexen IWAD for Doom maps. Map format and required IWAD have nothing to do with each other. Most ZDoom maps in existence use the Hexen map format, but are made for the Doom or Doom II IWAD. "Doom in Hexen Format" means Doom, using the map format from Hexen for the additional parameters it exposes for editing.

Load this like you would any other map in ZDoom; the fact that it's in Hexen format shouldn't ever affect you (or even need to be known to you) unless you're opening it in a map editor.

Cjwright79 said:

I cannot get this to work, using Zdoom and a 20mb Hexen iwad I happened across. Is there something I need to know?

So just open it in Doom 2.

Cronyne said:

Took me a while to make this, and it's the first map in a progressing megawad. So, criticism, who likes where this is going?

This... is a cool map bro. I like it. The first one. Keep at it, you could be making sublimely awesome maps eventually!

edit; again, based only on the 1st map -- your reliance of monster closets to keep the player engaged is a pretty trifling way of keeping monsters around. I'd suggest some different approaches. I use closets about 10% of the time, which doesn't make it too obvious.

I didn't wanna use teleporting traps and such because I wanted to keep those more advanced techniques out until further levels, but still, point very well taken, thank you.

Shaikoten said:

I like the visual style, but I have to say the gameplay leaves a lot to be desired. There's not much going on there in terms of interesting battles, and the key hunt seems fairly pointless at this stage in the game. I realize this may be an intro map, but honestly the world doesn't need more "intro maps." Most of the people who would play your wad want something with a little oomph for MAP01.

But definitely, keep going with that visual style. I like it, very simple, clean, and effective.

I'm designing my levels with less emphasis on detail (maybe medium detail) and more emphasis on combat, ambushes, and clever level design (Okay, so my MAP07 is a blatant knockoff of Doom II map07.