Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DoomHero85 said:

@MSpaintR0cks: What do you mean by "new perspective"?

Hard to explain. I try my best:
When I first played Doom, I always wondered where certain unaccessable areas that you see in several maps could lead to.
For example, you could make the little river in MAP01 flow into a small sewer tunnel that leads you trough other, already known rooms of the map and ends somewhere, for example the outdoor area you see at the beginning. This way the player could start to think "So THATS what these rooms here were made for! They were part of a little sewer that we couldn`t explore in the original Doom 2!"
Maybe not the best example, but I hope you get what I mean (my english is a little clumsy). Basically I want to say that you could change the levels a bit to make the player see them in a different light, and that he also gets an idea what several rooms of the original doom 2 could have been build for (especially those that don`t really make sense)

I just did that and it was indeed very enjoyable. At first I thought you would only fill the levels with monsters (Map01), but now I see that you really expand on them. Very close to what I imagined what this wad would be like.
Keep it up, it`s really interesting!

Trying to ignite the replay value of Doom 2 huh?
I played your levels 1-3, it's looking really cool so far! I like what you did with level 3 and I think you should add more extra rooms in the first two levels. One small thing with level 3 though, I think you should remove the shotgun guy at the beginning because most people don't like to be attacked immediately after spawning.
I think you would be interested in my project Doom 2 In A Nutshell where so far we've made 1024 sized versions of the first 12 levels of Doom 2.
Also, I don't know what everyone is complaining about the levels you've made so far are not too hard. They're challenging, but not over the top. I'm afraid of what you'll do with levels like Downtown though.

Yes I am indeed trying to ignite the replay value of doom2. I may add more areas to the first two maps if enough people demand it, but my thought process was that the first map should just be a restatement of map 01 with a few twists and then as the map numbers increase, so will the number of new areas. Except for 31 and 32, those will be a surprise :) btw, I don't think anyone is actually complaining yet. Although difficulty complaints may come soon. They will not be heard by me though. This wad is for hardcore players who want classic doom 2 to be hard again.

So what do you guys think of map 04. I am not serious about not listening to complaints about difficulty, but I won't do much to lower UV unless everyone says the levels get too hard. Here's how the difficulty is going to go. 05 - 09 similar to what's already been done, 10 - 15 : Mid-range HR styled gameplay, 16 - 25 Full scale HR - styled gameplay. 26 - 30 well...:)

EDIT: Sector 147 has two monsters that are stuck in the ceiling. I will post a fixed version without them later, but for now, just ignore them or go into DB 2 and delete them if they are bugging you.

I love the concept of a "second run" version of Doom II, and judging from those first four maps, I'm liking where it's going. (Yes, I tested them out.)

As for your difficulty curve... it sounds like my kind of megawad. (I'm a fan of the HR-style megawads) Btw, I'm looking forward how you'll do map30, since the original map30 was cakewalk IMO.

Map 30 will be an actual level now, not just some silly boss fight without any real "challenge" involved :) Basically, 30 will be new from scratch, and I'm still trying to decide what to do with 31 - 32. Map 05 is almost done now too. It will be done tomorrow sometime :)

About Map30 though, will it have the final boss at the end of the level?

I'll also look forward to what you'll do to map31 and map32.

was bored, have some fdas. I went 3-4-2-1 cause I thought I already played more than a little of map1, but I guess not. The end of map03 was the most fun ;P

You mean with an icon of sin fight or just a fight with one of the "boss" monsters? By the way, I know what I'm going to do with 31 and 32 now and I think you guys will like it. But I don't know how to make the map names show up with my own titles with boom format. If someone could either tell me or be willing to have me send them a .txt of all the names and stuff I want to change, that would be appreciated. I may also want to change the text on the story screens, which I also don't how how to do.

A fight with the "boss" monsters would be nice.

Edit: Which of the three "boss" monsters would you force the player to fight first? (I was thinking of Barons of Hell like in E1M8 of the original Doom.)

Here's map 05. Very much harder than the original map 05, almost HR-styled gameplay. I have chosen to increase the difficulty earlier than map 10 now, full-on slaughters will start in map 08. I also fixed some bugs with maps 03 and 04 so that you're not screwed if you forget something :) I'd love to see demos for map 05.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/lm2janjafzr/2ndrun.wad

E: @gun_psycho : I think I will do that, thanks for the idea :)

Cool, once that project of yours is complete, I'm sure it'll make another great (if steeply-challenging) megawad for Scoredoom.

I'll really be looking forward to Map07. Map06 had a little over 100 more monsters than map05 if I noticed right, showing me that the difficulty curve really starts to show.

Here's a link for map 07.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zcmwjnzojgr/2ndrun.wad

I am changing around my idea somewhat for difficulty. There are going to be 3, 7 map episodes, a 10 map episode, and a grand finale level, instead of the usual episode numbers. Meaning that 31 and 32 are no longer secret levels. 07 is the easiest of the 4 bossmaps.

@gun_psycho : I hope there's truth to your name, you're gonna need it for the rest of this set :)

Like this idea, as for plot/angle i suggest you theme it so that you're the second guy through, hot on the heels of the original DoomGuy, i.e. just one map behind him, cleaning up the stragglers and having to clamber over the semi-demolished buildings he left in his wake!

I might do that, but I think since I'm making it way harder, the story should state that the monsters re-armed and are ready for a better fight now.

Anyone got a demo of map 07 yet?

I'm just dying to try your second run version of map08. Once the whole megawad's done, I'll definitely play through the whole thing.