Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fruitybubbles17

Beginning to make Doom wads...

... alright so, is there anything I can use that is better than DoomBuilder? I've been playing doom for a while and just recently started making maps that I can play, but DoomBuilder is kind of boring, anything else I could try using?

Boring?

Well, DeepSea has an animated screensaver and a splash screen with MIDI music, but I somehow doubt that's what you're looking for.

Doom Builder 2 is the current standard; the actual mapping process is going to be somewhat similar with any editor, but Doom Builder 2 is modern, feature-packed, stable, and compatible with new source port features so I'd recommend it by far.

esselfortium said:

Boring?

Well, DeepSea has an animated screensaver and a splash screen with MIDI music, but I somehow doubt that's what you're looking for.

Doom Builder 2 is the current standard; the actual mapping process is going to be somewhat similar with any editor, but Doom Builder 2 is modern, feature-packed, stable, and compatible with new source port features so I'd recommend it by far.

Alright, thanks, I'll check out DeepSea.

What are you looking for then? Doombuilder is about as simple as doom mapping can get. It's literally drawing shapes, applying textures to the lines, and adjusting the floor and ceiling heights of each shape.

GreyGhost said:

Hex editor. ;-)

Boring. Draw it out on graph/sketch paper, scan it, and use a smart image to map converter, using greyscale values from the sketch as heights of sectors, and color-code values from the lines on the sketch as the linedef type, and color-coded dots as the thing types.

Guest DILDOMASTER666
fruitybubbles17 said:

[esselfortium quote]

I am going to lol very hard at you now ok

fruitybubbles17 said:

Duuuude, Deepsea sucks, what do you want? Make good maps or just look at the editor?

If you find making maps boring using doombuilder, whic his quite easily now the most user friendly and easy editor to use for newbies then you may want to try oblige.
Instead of having to go through the boring process of making your own maps, it makes them for you.
Just don't upload them here.

Doom Builder 2 is the way to go - at this point in development, it's by far the most intuitive and user friendly editor out there. In addition to the 3D mode and other Doom Builder 1 functions, it's also pretty good at automated stuff like properly predicting how to split or merge a sector when you combine vertices. That may not sound very impressive, but it comes in handy when you start tackling more intricate layouts.

DeepSea may have an animated screensaver and a splash screen with MIDI music, but development wise it's been really isolated from the Doom community and only gets updated every few years. I'd say that most people have come to accept Doom Builder 2 as the standard, and CodeImp still frequents these forums to help with support and development.

dutch devil said:

Windeu made me the mapper I am today :p I still use Doom Builder myself, a perfectly fine editor to use.

Amen brother, I used to use the 16-bit version though, as the 32-bit one was an excercise in crash avoidance.