Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiuHaka

Doom Ascension: My 3D Monsters, Items & Objects (Image Heavy)

Edit: This project has expanded and now has a name. Doom Ascension

As the title implies, I am creating the Doom monsters in 3d but I also plan on moving on to all the objects and weapons as well. I will be posting screenshots of my work as my project makes progress. C.C. is always welcome, plain old harsh criticism is welcome too, but some of the things I post will be considered finished to the point of where I've already started on the next subject or started a break. Animations will not begin until all monsters have been fully modeled and textured. The sharing of any of these models will not happen until they are animated and exported for use in the source ports... Unless I quit the project and in that case I will release all resources for anyone else to play with.

I am doing this as a hobby which means this is all for myself. I am a full time design business owner with several years in the video game field, a full time husband, and a full time dad (now I'm just trying to sound cool) so requests will almost definitely not be considered unless they are so awesome I just can't ignore them. As of now I have no plans to join any teams as that would take more time than I care for. Seeing as how this is a hobby some of this stuff will take a long time to flesh out. This first subject has taken about 2 weeks of free time to finish.

Now that I got all that out of the way (man i'm long winded) we can get to the fun stuff. This first model that I have made is of the Doomguy. As of the time of this posting the model (shotgun included) has 2008 triangles and is using a 1024x1024 texture. What you are seeing is the final texture with no lighting. There is a lack of damage to this armor which I do plan to add at a later time.

Here is a closer view to see some of the details.

A closer view of his helmet. I chose to do the helmet instead of the Doomguy head for the same reason that the id team chose to give him a helmet; because the Doom guy is you. Yup! You, who are reading this right now, you are the Doomguy.

These two images show the difference between his right and left arms. Now before anyone starts to dispute some of the information in these images, know that I used the information within the Doom Bible. And yes I do realize that there is something in the second image that contradicts my last statement that "you are the Doomguy".

Nice Buttpack! There are some unpolished seams in this shot but they are unnoticeable enough that I felt it was alright to move on to the next subject. The buttpack is probably the most unpolished part of the texture. Will probably polish it up once all monsters are completed.

Here is a small version of the 1024x1024 texture.

Now, people, let's all be mature here and hold off on the falic jokes.
Anyways, I just could not bring myself to model the shotgun after the Tootsie Toy Dakota.

Wow, very nice, it definitely looks more human than the original sprite. I expect the poly count and texture detail would need to be lowered to use it on a crappy computer like mine. Yet another reason to upgrade.

NiuHaka said:

Anyways, I just could not bring myself to model the shotgun after the Tootsie Toy Dakota.

Even if you wanted to use the Dakota instead of a real shotgun model, the Dakota is pretty freakin' unnatural looking.

I used the Winchester 1200 in my Doom novellas:
http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/winchester_1200.jpg

I really like the work you put into this guy. I agree with the others that it's refreshing to have someone post Doom fan art and not have it be utter crap. Especially love the texture on the armor.

Does he use turtle wax on it? *ba-da-bump*

This is awesome: probably the first good fanmade model I have seen for the Doomguy. I really hope you don't lose interest before you start animating things. There are already high-res texture and flat replacements, so playing with these models replacing the originals will visually take Doom to a new level and likely even introduce a new wave of new-school Doomers.

Please don't hesitate to ask if there's anything technical I can do to help make progress go more smoothly (to reduce the chances of you dropping this project :P).

The thing I love most about this Doomguy is that he's not beefy (in most cases fat) like every other fan made doom model I see. Very awesome, would love to see this usable in some capacity (of course, the next bad thing to the fat models are bad, unnatural animations).

Outstanding work. You have done what I've always wanted to see done; A high quality re-make of the original ID sprites in model form without changing the look or feel.

5 Stars, best Doomguy I've ever seen and much better than the one in Q3 and other games.

This actually looks like a 3d version of the sprite (which was awesome btw).

Obviously you have the graphical talent down, I hope you can pull off the animations, as again, to my knowledge no one has ever pulled off animated doom models that held true to the original sprite animations.

Looks awesome, I hope the animations will be equally good :)
The only thing I'm not really sold on is the "honeycomb" pattern on the body armor, but that's propably just a matter of taste...

Keep up the good work!

I must say I'm surprised, the model is quite impressive altough I think the helmet would be a bit larger in 3D.
I'd like to see how you could remake other sprites in 3D, I'm sure you could do some amazing stuff :). Keep it up!

It looks pretty good, but I'll wait until I see what it looks like exported as an MD2/DMD or MD3, the model formats currently supported by Doom ports, as well as animating within the limited states of the player mobj, before comparing it to the existing Doom model pack models.

Fusion said:

as again, to my knowledge no one has ever pulled off animated doom models that held true to the original sprite animations.

The likely reason for that is that the animations of the original sprites are considerably faster than they would be in reality. For instance, the Barron of Hell performs it's attack animation in just under 3/4 of a second.

A model performing that animation that fast would probably look a bit silly, hence model makers use a simpler less dramatic animation.

I disagree. There is no reason why movement that fast is beyond the capabilities of the available source ports. Doomsday for example allows you to animate very precisely in fractional time - i.e., you can add many more frames to the animation at any point or timing that you need.

The problem with most available DOOM models is that they desperately lack a decent number of frames of animation. Some models being better than others of course (the new Heretic Gargoyle released recently has really rather nice animation).

Most of the existing models were made at a time when the level of fidelity in the supported model formats of the day (case-in-point: MD2) was barely at Quake2 level.

By far the best looking Doomguy model I have seen to date, in many ways better than the Quake 3 version.

I think it's just right, the best I've seen around here.

It can't be, a Doom model that doesn't suck. It's really nice. Great job. :) Anatomy around the shoulders and neck looks a bit weird though. Neck looks really long, or shoulders look really sunk down... or both. Hard to be specific with the armor there. But it's definitely not quite right I'd say.

Ah good catch Kristus. There was something off about it, I think building up the neckline and shoulders would help a lot.

Vermil said:

It looks pretty good, but I'll wait until I see what it looks like exported as an MD2/DMD or MD3, the model formats currently supported by Doom ports ... before comparing it to the existing Doom model pack models.

DaniJ addressed the animation issue, so I'll go ahead and say that once these models are animated well, I'll try and extend support for whichever format they use to the extent of my ability. I'm not sure which port this will be at this moment, since that probably depends on how much work port authors are willing to put in.

You and DaniJ both misunderstand me...

I am aware that Doomsday and likely other ports can do fast model animations. I also wasn't actually talking about the Doom Guy model that is the subject of the thread.

I was simply stating a possible reason in response to Fusion, as to why most Doom model makers don't try to match the sprites animation; that I wonder if model animations that match the sprites animation might look silly in game, in some cases, because of the high speed that said model animation would have to animate at to match due to the sprite animations being too fast to be realistic.

For instance, would it look silly in game to have a Barron model raising it's arm, bringing it back down and then moving it back to it's default position, all in less than 3/4 of a second?

Very Nice! Something like this in game would be a big improvment over the existing ones! If you find the time to do them all, im sure they would be well used!

Looks cool, but you should lose the hexagon texture it looks wrong.