Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiuHaka

Doom Ascension: My 3D Monsters, Items & Objects (Image Heavy)

Dee said:

awesome! very understandable, these are the most impressive models I've seen and I don't want to see these models go to waste. if you need assistance with this project, please pm me because I will do what I can, I have experience with models and importing them into doomsday. if help is required don't hesitate to ask for it. :)

Hmmm... I planned on searching for some help to import them into doomsday but not quite yet. Still switching between building models and playing my favorite video games so it is a slow process. Best way to keep me interested I think. That low budget game Mount & Blade Warband is stealing my free time.

Eidt: @Dee: I forgot to mention that I will come to you first for import help. Thanks for the offer.

NiuHaka said:

Hmmm... I planned on searching for some help to import them into doomsday but not quite yet. Still switching between building models and playing my favorite video games so it is a slow process. Best way to keep me interested I think. That low budget game Mount & Blade Warband is stealing my free time.

Eidt: @Dee: I forgot to mention that I will come to you first for import help. Thanks for the offer.

good deal just don't give up on this and if you find that your too busy to complete it please donate these models to the community cuz they are very impressive :) but I will help when you need it!

PaganRaven said:

I wish the guy in doom 3 looked like this.

yeah, he looks a bit crooked with that armor (having recently played some doom3). this model is the doomguy straight from the classic game. i´ve always preferred sprites over models for ports that support models, but now i can´t wait for these to be finished.

NiuHaka said:

Not dead. Just running in stealth mode... OOPS! That wasn't very stealthy!

Probably won't be updating much. Don't like requests and I don't want to share until i'm finished.

Reminds me of Quake 3's graphics. Maybe it's time for a new high resolution texture pack (the other one sucks).

Excellent work ! It's first time I see really faithful 3D models for DooM that are a pleasure to look at.

I have some comments about the Doomguy:

His feet are a bit too short. His proportions would be okay if he was naked. Today, military boots are particularly big and perhaps a little clumsy. These, on the other hand, look quite flexible and potentially not very sturdy unless they're made of something super durable. Long story short his feet look good, but could be a little longer.

My hobby is long distance running. I'm one of those freaks who are convinced by arguments for barefoot running. That's why I pay extra attention to stuff like this. According to this new (?? 1970) school of thought, boots, especially for running, should be minimalistic. Very thin and flexible sole, no padding and so on. This Doomguy's boots look more less like they were designed for barefoot running too. They don't resemble typical military boots very much, but that's not necessary a bad thing, just unusual by today standards.

About Zombieman and Shotgun Guy:
They look good. Blood looks good, too, but remember bloodstains aren't bright red, they're brown. Only fresh blood is red - is this your intention, to make them look covered in fresh blood ? Both look smeared with blood. An alternate direction could be bloodstains from shooting people at very close distance - that would be lots of smaller drops of blood, something like a spray.

These zombies' skin looks quite fresh and healthy(especially color), and is a little at odds with the rest of their appearance (foul stuff leaking from the mouth, dirty/gray hair). Zombieman's hair looks like either something very old and dirty, or a gray-haired veteran, which is perhaps not the intention.

In short, it's like you couldn't make your mind if these zombies are recent or old.

I think perhaps the most important thing to note about these models is that they're proportionate. I remember those Jdoom/Doomsday models more or less representing the cartoonish proportions of the sprites (such sa the Doom guy's height being about 5 heads instead of 7) and not looking very threatening. This looks really cool and so far is the best representation of Doom enemies/players I've ever seen!

@b0rsuk
actually I put a lot of thought into this exact thing. I decided that since the Doom Marine/Player moves around so much at speeds that look like 60mph I decided that these futuristic marines must be augmented and perhaps part cybernetic. I even put some texture on the shin guards to hint at this cybernetic approach. Of course I will never force this idea. It is just a creative decision on my end. Everyone else can come up with their own ideas for these kinds of things.

Edit: I forgot to respond to your comment about the zombie men. I have never thought of the Zombie Men and the Shotgun Zombies as being zombies in the same sense as what you see in Hollywood. Their flesh has not rotted but instead changed into something else. Almost like a genetic rewrite. My versions of the Zombie men reflect this idea. Also, if you look at the original sprites you will see that their skin color looks fairly healthy. The hair being white is a creative change on my part because I just did not like the green hair. I did however leave a little bit of green stuff on the back of his head to keep it slightly loyal to the source.

@GoatLord
Yes, the reason I went with realistic proportions is that others have made very good cartoony models and I didn't feel like competing with them. I instead decided to create realistic ones for those who might like realistic over the Doom Cartoonish look, which by the way I love.

Anyways, the project is coming along very slowly but surely.

Oh and here's a little something just for fun.

Poses look really good. I wonder if maybe the shotgun should be more futuristic looking, as it seems slightly out of place for this very futuristic space marine to have a 20th century shotgun, but then again, you do in the game...

NiuHaka said:

@b0rsuk
actually I put a lot of thought into this exact thing. I decided that since the Doom Marine/Player moves around so much at speeds that look like 60mph I decided that these futuristic marines must be augmented and perhaps part cybernetic. I even put some texture on the shin guards to hint at this cybernetic approach. Of course I will never force this idea. It is just a creative decision on my end. Everyone else can come up with their own ideas for these kinds of things.

@GoatLord
Yes, the reason I went with realistic proportions is that others have made very good cartoony models and I didn't feel like competing with them. I instead decided to create realistic ones for those who might like realistic over the Doom Cartoonish look, which by the way I love.

Anyways, the project is coming along very slowly but surely.

Oh and here's a little something just for fun.

WOW - beyond awesome!

Absolutely amazing stuff.

Looking forward to the Baron and Archvile

Also wondering how the Icon of Sin would be done in 3D in this style, but thas WAY too much to ever ask of anyone **

Ragnor said:

Absolutely amazing stuff.

Looking forward to the Baron and Archvile

Also wondering how the Icon of Sin would be done in 3D in this style, but thas WAY too much to ever ask of anyone **

Well, I am going to stop responding for a while as I don't want to hype this up too much seeing as how I like to take my time. I started this out as just a Doom 1 monsters project but the more I thought about it the more I realized how fun some of the Doom 2 monsters would be to recreate. Now i have got to admit that I have thought about creating the Icon of Sin in 3D and making that would be a must. I could even have it rattling inside it's confines as if enraged at the Doom Marines intrusion. However, one of the main reasons I did not want to do Doom 2 monsters is the Icon of Sin level. Having all those 3D monsters on the screen at once will undoubtedly break the game. Icon of Sin will be unplayable in its current state. I eventually decided that I shouldn't concern myself with that for now... and so there you have it. I hope I'm not getting anyone too excited. I still have a long ways to go before I start on Doom 2 stuff. Bye bye for now.

Edit: Oh! One more thing before I check out for a while. I'm creating these for the Doomsday Engine as that engine has many great features coming in its future releases and I have tested every port that supports animated 3d models and currently find it to be the best fit for my project. Bye bye for real this time.

NiuHaka said:

Well, I am going to stop responding for a while as I don't want to hype this up too much seeing as how I like to take my time. I started this out as just a Doom 1 monsters project but the more I thought about it the more I realized how fun some of the Doom 2 monsters would be to recreate. Now i have got to admit that I have thought about creating the Icon of Sin in 3D and making that would be a must. I could even have it rattling inside it's confines as if enraged at the Doom Marines intrusion.

Sad thing is, Icon of Sin in 3D like that would only work on a different game as far as I know. The end script of Doom 2 does state thats its more than just a head, with actual limbs, and Ive wanted someone to build a level that expands on this for a long time.

Im sure everyone will understand that it takes a very long time to get this stuff done, afterall, most projects take a year or more to complete, from what I've seen. Thanks for sharing what you have made though, its definitely the best out there so far :D

It's refreshing to see someone make good realistic models, for a change. With no trace of anime/manga stylisation or similar.

It's also refreshing to see someone like Doomsday source port. Next to Vavoom it's my favourite. If you don't want anything fancy and new, Doomsday is very pleasant to play and polished visually.

I would dispute that. Doomsday is extreme limit removing and hence capable of playing any modern non-port specific map.

Anyway's still hoping to see these models released someday.

beautiful models. i'm so excited to see these actually in the game!

Ok, so i'm not going to be doing this very often. I've come to the community to help me with something that has been bothering me about my Imp design ever since I finished with it's first pass. Every monster i've done so far, including those that I have not shown yet, has been very loyal to the source material except for this one. I do take some creative liberties with my Doom monsters but they are usually based off of something that you can actually see in the default sprites and if its not seen in the sprites it is normally something that you could say wouldn't be seen in a sprite anyways. (Edit: I forgot to add that I do make changes if I feel it makes them seem more realistic.) I thought it was a good idea at first but it has been bothering me too much lately.

As you can see in the images bellow my Imp has orange glowing symbols on his hands. I did this to give a possible explanation as to where the fire balls come from. But the more I look at it the more I start to think I should remain loyal to the original Doom Imp. I think it looks cool but I'm not sure its worth it. Keep in mind that even though it looks as if the symbols are glowing I will not have them glow in game. It will only look like this at full light. I want the visibility of the Imp in low light to remain loyal to the original.

Normally I won't put much thought into what you think but this time I will... at least to help me decide what would be better. I'll save most of the caring when it's all done with.

So what do you think? Is the glowing hell runes a good idea or should I remain loyal to the original Imp and take away the glowing symbols leaving just his clawed fingers?

NiuHaka said:

So what do you think? Is the glowing hell runes a good idea or should I remain loyal to the original Imp and take away the glowing symbols leaving just his clawed fingers?

I think the idea has potential. I'd say, when you're finished, upload one and one without the runes. If you can't decide which, then let the players do so, choosing the one they prefer.

I quite like the runes myself. I like the idea that the fireballs have a 'source' that can be seen prior to them hurling them in your face.

Do you think you'll dirty the feet up, so it looks like the Imp has been walking through something? (It just looks to me, given the amount of detail in the upper torso, that you're working your way down the body, texture wise.)

Seeing as you've been fairly faithful to the originals, I think it would be best to go without the runes on the hands. Like PRIMEVAL said, if they're not glowing, it would look sorta weird. I agree, but... even if I were to have one preference over another, it's really not that big of a deal.

People are looking for really good models. You're already doing a terrific job, so there isn't any reason to let things like that get to you. I'm sure people will love these models, regardless of how much "creative liberty" you take during the process of building them. If you're ever unsure, provide options (especially if they're as easy as reskinning a model)!

PRIMEVAL said:

Hmm, well if they're not gonna glow, it'll look kinda weird. Perhaps make his hands charred?

Actually the charred hands idea came first and then turned into the glowing runes.

Insane_Gazebo said:

I think the idea has potential. I'd say, when you're finished, upload one and one without the runes. If you can't decide which, then let the players do so, choosing the one they prefer.

I quite like the runes myself. I like the idea that the fireballs have a 'source' that can be seen prior to them hurling them in your face.

Do you think you'll dirty the feet up, so it looks like the Imp has been walking through something? (It just looks to me, given the amount of detail in the upper torso, that you're working your way down the body, texture wise.)

The problem with creating a final version for both is that this is just a first pass. Polish will come later and I won't want to polish up two versions. I need to finish these within a reasonable amount of time or else I'll get bored of this.

And yes more details like dirt and more skin details will be added during the polishing faze. Too much time was spent on this texture and so I forced myself to move on to the next monsters.

EarthQuake said:

Seeing as you've been fairly faithful to the originals, I think it would be best to go without the runes on the hands. Like PRIMEVAL said, if they're not glowing, it would look sorta weird. I agree, but... even if I were to have one preference over another, it's really not that big of a deal.

People are looking for really good models. You're already doing a terrific job, so there isn't any reason to let things like that get to you. I'm sure people will love these models, regardless of how much "creative liberty" you take during the process of building them. If you're ever unsure, provide options (especially if they're as easy as reskinning a model)!

To tell you the truth i'm excited to see people doing some reskins of their own some day... as long as they don't suck that is. Heheh.

Is that a she-imp ? I can smell a cameltoe mod. If you care for decency and PG13 rating, at least make the imp disgustingly hairy.

I'm okay with the orange symbols in the sense it's not a bad deviation, but i think the symbols don't look great enough to keep. I think corny bloodied claws would be just as good.

The imp's posture is currently its biggest deviation from original. In the game they're hunched, as if sneaking around (or just looking sinister).

The imp looks good. Not great, but I can't say how to make her great. If realism is one of your goals, the shoulder spikes should be probably shorter. The longest ones are so long it would be easy to poke your eye by accident.

Holly hell - awesome imp. Glowing might be cool, but maybe some good old blood splatter is enough.
Pretty close to what I imagine when looking at the actual sprite, especially the face.