Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
D_GARG

making new fragging game, involve doom?

Hello everyone,

I have been taking a good break from doomworld for a wile, and I have produced some doomy stuff for the project Im in

but thats not the point ....

Now during this summer I had this wonderful idea of making my own game, or mostly ( yes Mostly ) I want to make a very dynamic but not exessive FPS, were the use of many guns makes a intresting element, this requires that there will not be any heavy waeapon/light weapon classes, for example we have the chaingun and the SSG, its quite obvious that any zdaemon player (for example) would choose the SSG.

So this waeponary, would in my idea contain modified graphics from doom.
A example of cool part of this idea is the Slug Shotgun, simple: 1 pellet, with an accepteble damage amont, and stunning/slowing effect, good accuracy, and a reload time just as the doom SSG.

In most games there isnt a large range of weapons beacuse many think that a too large armory just confuses and give difficulties with the key binds, (1 2 3 4 etc which isnt the best setup anyway), I think the oposite.

another thing to think about is the overpower that is given to weapons, a good example is quake3(more known as quakelive today, since its what being played today), the only thing you need is rocket launcher, railgun and lightning gun. and there is a range of around 9 weapons, why should we have the other 6 weapons for?

so it wouldnt be a bad idea to have about, say 26 different weapons jsut to balance up things and stuff, in the way that there is no specific No1 techniques or ways to play a certain game, by expanding the gameplay ways you also expand the fun. and thats what we want, right?

so if I want to add some doom looking stuff, how much do you think I should modify the doom weapons original functions and efficiency?

There's only so many ways you can shoot monsters, and the more weapons you make the harder it is to make all of them interesting (in terms of both gameplay and consistent theme). People will still gravitate around the best bang for your buck weapons and ditch everything else, which means you'll have spend a lot of time making weapons nobody will use more than a few times for the novelty of it.

You can see a good example of that in many modern "realistic" shooters, most weapons being about the same, largely interchangeable and forgettable. For examples of "tons of weapons generally doesn't work", see most ZDoom weapon mods.

Phml said:

You can see a good example of that in many modern "realistic" shooters, most weapons being about the same, largely interchangeable and forgettable. For examples of "tons of weapons generally doesn't work", see most ZDoom weapon mods.

AEOD5.

rf` said:

AEOD5.

Is the perfect example of severe weapon overflow.

Not to self-promote too much, but my recently released "Style Mod" manages to pare Doom 2's selection of 9 weapons down to just six.

WildWeasel said:

Is the perfect example of severe weapon overflow.

Not to self-promote too much, but my recently released "Style Mod" manages to pare Doom 2's selection of 9 weapons down to just six.

hmmm, for PVP or cooperative?
you cant really have 26 weapons on one map, not even in last man standing mode, mapsize and mapstyle decides were to have what weapon, so is it just for being simple and east that you made your mod just to 6 weapons?

Style Mod was designed to work with existing maps in both single-player and competitive modes. So the fist was removed entirely, the Chainsaw was replaced with a powerup, and the BFG may or may not have been removed depending on your interpretation of Schroedinger's Cat. =P

Basically, the reason there are only six weapons is that in a mod that removes the need for ammo (in a traditional sense), there are fewer ways to differentiate between different types of weapons. So the tough part was making each weapon have its own unique use and situation in which it is the best choice. For example, while the Swarmer Launcher can pretty much decimate anything with a fully-charged alt-fire, it's really only effective in wide-open areas (like Doom 2 Map32) so it's of limited use.

Again, trying my best not to self-promote, but (seemingly) unlike a lot of weapon mods out there today, I make the best effort possible to make sure that each weapon has its own specific purpose and reason for existing. If it overlaps too much with another weapon, I axe it.