Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Helltrip wad finally released!

Really glad you liked it!

Vegeta said:

I just finished it this morning. It was very fun. There were moments were monsters really seemed to be endless and spawning through the walls.

[/b] yeah, this is one of the things I love about it too. :)

If there was a new stealth monster I probably killed it without taking notice.

I know what you mean. Often when I'm playing the map I start seeing things ... like a thought I saw a shadow ? or was it my imagination? It is precisely the reason I made this comment early in the thread:

Reality seemed to be getting warped as I was playtesting my wad and it gave me an interesting idea for a monster. One that is invisible below a certain light level. Let's say light level drops below 128 the monster is no longer visible. Could be used for some freaky haunted house effects.

To clarify that comment, whenever the monster would cross into a sector that had a light level of 128 or lower, it would disappear. So you could imagine a hallway like the one in E2M7 where the cacodemon comes down (alternating lights). Or blinking lights. Monster appears whenever the sector light blinks.

What impressed me the most was the basic level of detail in a map that has such a smart layout.

Interesting. I think what would have been impressive is if I had been able to make the map with a lot of detail and retained the layout and gameplay. To me, the more detail a map has, the more difficult it becomes to make good layout and gameplay. For me, it is very hard to have a smart or fun layout while having tons of great looking and compelling detail.

Plays a little like Cat & Mouse, and last map of "No rest for the living". We really need more maps like this, were you feel cornered yet the monster count isn't massive.

I haven't played that. But it is really the hunted is the hunter. They are hunting you and you are trying to get away from them, at the same time you are hunting them, trying to eradicate their infestation of their labyrinth. I may make another similar map with boom linedef types so I can really have a jolly good time :P (I want to make one where the monsters are literally coming out of the walls.)