Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Optimus

WAD map packs/episodes with continuity/connections in previous end/next level start

It was hard to describe this in a title but there are few WAD packs/episodes where the end of a level is the beginning of the next one and the author tries to make it clear.

What I mean, you go to the final END button, it's outside a building and you can see the space inside but you cannot go in this level. When you press END you go to the next level and you start inside the building and you can see the outdoor area of the previous level.

I love this kind of continuation in WADs and I think I have seen it in very few. Ok,. most levels you press the button and you are in another closed room with the same silver door in the next, so it's supposed it is continuation, but I would like continuation clearly visible.

What are the good classic or maybe not so good WADs with this kind of thing? (It's a weird request I know, but somehow I love playing those WADs that makes you feel the levels are somehow connected)

Optimus said:

...I love playing those WADs that makes you feel the levels are somehow connected)

Look for levels that are part of a hub, as one of the features of hubs is that they can provide continuity between maps. For example, the first three maps in Eternal DOOM IV: Return from Oblivion form a hub where transitions from one map to the other are intended to be "seamless".

Armadosia has some areas like this, where you see an area you can't readily get to and then in the following level you find yourself in that area. Not always related to the exits though, and while I'm certain the author did this in the first four or five maps I honestly don't recall if that continues throughout the entire megawad.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=14197

All of Ultimate Doomer's wads do exactly this:

- Operation Lightning - (vanilla doom)
- Fragport - (vanilla doom)
- Shadowcaster - (vanilla heretic)
- Licence to spell Doom - (zdoom)
- Super Sonic Doom - (zdoom)
- Serpent Resurection - (gzdoom hexen)

As you may know, Deus Vult does this, but more by "accident" as it's one map (Map05) split (into Map01-04) to be usable by engines that can only handle 32768 SEGS (or it also helps against lag in older systems and online.)

Two old school WADs for DOOM that do this are The Apocalypse Project and Castle Phobos (which also has a later DOOM II version). In The Apocalypse Project the stringing together is more cosmetic, while Castle Phobos is pretty much a "one level in many maps" WAD because pistol starts aren't considered and later you may need to rely on weapons picked up in earlier levels.

Demon Eclipse does this, except for the base-to-hell transitions which are teleporter-based.

The UCA series of Doom 1 maps (can't remember the filenames) was the first time I encountered it, then Cleimos/Cleimos 2, then I started mapping.

Edit: uca, talpoida, diopatra, sapidusb are the filenames in question. (the last of which is one of my all time favourite doom 1 maps)