Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
majax79

Doom Pwads that have computer maps

I know it's a strange request but are there any PWADS that have computer maps within the levels to find?

You mean as, e.g., wall textures, rather than an item pick-up?

If so, then yes, I do recall such maps. I can't state precisely which at this point, but the idea has been used, I think.

:) 32-level megawads is your best bet - there must be computer maps SOMEWHERE in them.
But strangely enough, I don't recall many exact locations of computer maps, because they're so meaningless for me.
Off the top of my head, Icarus MAP04, MM2 MAP25, STRAIN MAP27.

Grazza said:

You mean as, e.g., wall textures, rather than an item pick-up?

If so, then yes, I do recall such maps. I can't state precisely which at this point, but the idea has been used, I think.

The only example I remember is MNTFIRE.WAD, the sequel to UAC_DEAD.WAD.

majax79 said:

I know it's a strange request but are there any PWADS that have computer maps within the levels to find?

Doom I PWADs:
meed.wad
E1M5 and E1M7 in RetroEps.wad
E2M2 and E2M6 in classic.wad
classic10.wad
deadbase.wad
E2M5 in eternity.wad
E1M7 in kdu.wad
mntfire.wad
E1M6 and E2M9 in pe1_phob.wad
E1M2, E1M6 and E1M9 in phobmass.wad
E2M2 and E2M5 in sudtic.wad
tele13.wad
uac_dead.wad
uacexp.wad
vampir51.wad

Doom II PWADs (I'll stop listing individual levels, because it's getting cumbersome):
10sector.wad
artifact.wad
av.wad
every single map in No Rest for the Living
dante22.wad
darken.wad
darken2.wad
eternal.wad
mm2.wad
obtic11b.wad
raven.wad
requiem.wad
testfcil.wad

That's it for those maps that I have currently unzipped. It should start you off.

Tip: To easily look for more, unzip all your wads into a single directory, run wadspy -b4 on them and look for an uppercase A in the output.

I typically tend to put Computer Area Maps in easy secret areas of maps that feature other secret areas that are difficult to find. Finding the one secret gives you a hint to finding the more difficult secrets. That said, my maps are usually pretty straightforward and people usually don't get lost in them, and so placing them in maps seems kinda useless. I think they can make a cool decoration sometimes though.

What is the concern? Are you trying to find examples of maps that put Computer Area maps to good use? Just so you know, typing idbeholda during gameplay gives you the powerup if you ever feel you need it.

Since I have a personal snapshot of the idGames Archive, I could write a simple program that'll run through all of the WADs and give you detailed list...

... but that'd be too excessive.

EDIT: It isn't that recent, though.

antares said:

Doom I PWADs:
[...]

Doom II PWADs (I'll stop listing individual levels, because it's getting cumbersome):
[...]

Thank you, I was only looking for megapacks anyways.