Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
entryway

Epic 2 [released]

Katamori said:

Wow, you use sky models? It's compatibile only with the OpenGL-based source ports, or no?

Standard hi-res skies and hi-res sky-boxes for ports which support them through GLDEFS lump - the only hi-res graphics which will be used if I am not mistaken.

I have tried this vanilla compatible megawad with different GL ports (~3 minutes per port). Looks like only gzdoom and glboom-plus can play it without glitches and gameplay breaks.

Vavoom

jDoom 1.9 the latest beta

jDoom 1.8.6 instead of this

glEdge 1.3.4: It is impossible to shoot this switch (but you must) and badly looking skies with mouse look.

Risen3d seems to be fine, but it still does not support 'no-texture' trick

So, recommended ports are Chocolate-Doom, Eternity, prboom/+, zdoom for software and gzdoom, glboom-plus and probably risen3d for hardware.

It IS really EPIC.
But why they couldn't record a f*ckin demo in which they DON'T DIE?! -.-

gun_psycho said:

My personal question about this megawad: Just how difficult will it be? I'm the type who always plays on UV.

Approximately half or slightly more from 26 levels I finished in First Demo Attempt mode on UV skill and died only once or did not die at all. Some levels killed me 2-3 times and I remember one level when I died ~10 times. Do not forget, I am far far from Vile's skill :)

Sigvatr said:

A lot of these textures look familiar, where are they from?

Power Slave, Hexen II, Eternal IV, Deus Vult 2, self-made

Well compared to the original game it's much slower and more empty feeling due to the Quake engine, despite Quake 1 being a faster game. The Septimus and Blackmarsh revisit hubs were clearly rushed in places, and the four classes aren't as efficient as the original game's (and they suck at the beginning with little HP and mana capacity). But I don't really hate the game that much as I tend to play it on a blue moon, using the "Hammer of Thryion" source port for fancy colored lighting effects. It's one of my "favorite" games, but not one I play very often at all due to the feeling it emits.

I always liked the textures, monsters (especially Archers), sound effects and music for H2. Just wish the game could of had more action (even the first Hexen was more monster filled) and a better finale (Eidolon is not as epic as D'Sparil or Korax).

Anyway not trying to derail the topic, just my two cents on H2, continue.

Sorry for the bump, but those two latest shots are looking very fucking beautiful. That one with the tower that looming over everything reminds me very much of one of the later Unreal levels. I honestly can't wait for this to be released, it's going to be "Epic" indeed. In my honest opinion, everything Eternal has done so far is perfect.

I really enjoyed the first "Epic" even though Egyptian-themed Doom maps aren't my thing. "Epic" was actually epic in every sense, and the game play was crazy but a lot of fun. I am loving the screencaps from "Epic 2," as they are clearly beautiful and stunning. I can't wait for this release :).

The Risen3D missing texture trick, present in Risen3D v2.2.08 , has been fixed for the next version of Risen3D.

Small question: in the original Epic, if you used ZDoom and went to other maps besides the first three, you find that every single one of the maps has a name. Was Epic 1 originally supposed to be 32 maps too?

hawkwind said:

The Risen3D missing texture trick, present in Risen3D v2.2.08 , has been fixed for the next version of Risen3D.

I am not sure that Graham did it in proper (doom) way. I would like to be mistaken.

TrueDude said:

in the original Epic, if you used ZDoom and went to other maps besides the first three, you find that every single one of the maps has a name

by mistake

Can't wait for this ! I'm counting the days...

BTW Hexen 2 is the most underrated game ever released.

After five months of hard working it's finally done!

We'll put it to idgames/incoming within two next days.

Temporary link:
http://prboom-plus.sf.net/epic2.zip

Known issues with vanilla (after deutex -as epic2.wad):
You are not able to save the game on some maps, because of save buffer limit. Sprites can disappear on few maps (26 as example), because of vissprites limit. If you found something else, please, post it here.

glboom-plus 2.5.0.8 is recommended.

Nice atmosphere so far (Map04)... but seriously, change the water flat for the final release. It almost breaks the feeling of the maps altogether.

Snakes said:

Nice atmosphere so far (Map04)... but seriously, change the water flat for the final release. It almost breaks the feeling of the maps altogether.

Seriously, do not fuck my brain with that water texture. Please.

entryway said:

Seriously, do not fuck my mind with that water texture. Please.

...uh..meaning what? It's a bad texture, and I'm not sure what you're saying here.